Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Longest goal scored in history.

Nice kick, goalie.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/22/footb...ntl/index.html
    Must be a fluke of that particular field. It's certainly not the only time a keeper has scored from within their own area. Heck of a kick, and the opposing keeper should have handled that one easily. It was head height. Good for Requena, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Must be a fluke of that particular field. It's certainly not the only time a keeper has scored from within their own area. Heck of a kick, and the opposing keeper should have handled that one easily. It was head height. Good for Requena, though.
    Probably. Pitch sizes aren't standardized like basketball and US football. The just have minimum and maximum dimensions. They allow for variances so one field can be longer (or shorter) than an other field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Probably. Pitch sizes aren't standardized like basketball and US football. The just have minimum and maximum dimensions. They allow for variances so one field can be longer (or shorter) than an other field.
    ...or it can be a complete joke, like the postage stamp that NYCFC plays on at New Yankee Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ...or it can be a complete joke, like the postage stamp that NYCFC plays on at New Yankee Stadium.
    That article is very relevant but dated. I believe they have gotten approval for a new soccer only stadium next to Citi Field in Queens.

At first it is cool to see a game at Yankee Stadium. But I agree that 90% of the seats have horrible sight lines. Last year I was fortunate to go to a game and sit in the front row on the field. It was a really cool experience to be that close, though in some ways I prefer the perspective of being slightly further back. The seats came with vip food options for which they use the Yankees facilities, which were excellent.

So, question for FlyingDutchDevil: did Feyenoord wrap it up by winning at Ajax on Sunday? Six-point lead with eight to play looks pretty formidable.

League play takes a two week pause for the international break which means we get Euro 2024 qualifiers. They kicked off today. Usually there is a period of friendlies after the World Cup but because of Qatar's winter tournament they just jump back into meaningful matches.

The biggest match of the day was England vs Italy - a rematch of the 2022 Euro Championship. Man, what a chippy, foul prone, and surprisingly tense game. England were called for more cards in this game than the entire World Cup. Harry Kane's PK made him England's all-time top scorer and put the Three Lions up 2-0 at the half. Of course it would be a PK. England than proceeded to be England. They came out flat and tired for the second half and let Italy back into the game. Gli Azzurri scored on a English defensive lapse. To rub it in, the guy who scored (Giacomo Raspadori) was born in Argentina. Did I mention that the match was in Diego Armando Maradona Stadium. With 10 minutes to go Luke Shaw picked up his second yellow and was sent off. England (barely) managed to hold on and take their first win in Italy since 1961! It's Italy's first lost at home in 24 years.

Today also saw the return of Cristiano Ronaldo to the international game. He started, scored twice and became the most capped play in international play. Yeah?

Tomorrow brings another heavy weight matchup in France vs Netherlands (which is only on FubuTV). Fox, in their infinite wisdom, will show Sweden vs Belgium. That not a bad matchup but come on. Time to break out the VPN.

League play takes a two week pause for the international break which means we get Euro 2024 qualifiers. They kicked off today. Usually there is a period of friendlies after the World Cup but because of Qatar's winter tournament they just jump back into meaningful matches.

The biggest match of the day was England vs Italy - a rematch of the 2022 Euro Championship. Man, what a chippy, foul prone, and surprisingly tense game. England were called for more cards in this game than the entire World Cup. Harry Kane's PK made him England's all-time top scorer and put the Three Lions up 2-0 at the half. Of course it would be a PK. England than proceeded to be England. They came out flat and tired for the second half and let Italy back into the game. Gli Azzurri scored on a English defensive lapse. To rub it in, the guy who scored (Giacomo Raspadori) was born in Argentina. Did I mention that the match was in Diego Armando Maradona Stadium. With 10 minutes to go Luke Shaw picked up his second yellow and was sent off. England (barely) managed to hold on and take their first win in Italy since 1961! It's Italy's first lost at home in 24 years.

Today also saw the return of Cristiano Ronaldo to the international game. He started, scored twice and became the most capped play in international play. Yeah?

Tomorrow brings another heavy weight matchup in France vs Netherlands (which is only on FubuTV). Fox, in their infinite wisdom, will show Sweden vs Belgium. That not a bad matchup but come on. Time to break out the VPN.
    I’d rather see Bleu vs. Oranje, but the Belgium game will be interesting on a number of levels. How will they look with a new manager? Do they have successors for Vertonghen and Alderwiereld? Are DeKetelaire, Onana, etc. ready to take over the midfield?

Bloody #%€£¥&$ Chickens

Belgium vs. Sweden in one sentence: we have Lukaku, and you don’t.

Sean Dyche probably not enjoying watching Swedes use Onana as a piñata.

Slick move by the 19-year-old USG winger Bakayoko to set up the third goal.

Any matches on for US television/stream games today? With the Balkanization of broadcasting I cannot keep up, but I would love to hit the couch and watch footie today.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Any matches on for US television/stream games today? With the Balkanization of broadcasting I cannot keep up, but I would love to hit the couch and watch footie today.
    Not today. USMNT played Ghana yesterday and won in a rout (7-1). Interesting note, for the first time since MLS started not a single player on the pitch currently is an active MLS player. Although many have come through the MLS academy they've moved on to bigger leagues. That's a positive for both US Soccer's and MLS's development availability. For the record, Gio Reyna got the start because Tyler Adams is injured.

As for games today, F2 and Fox Soccer Plus have a few international games. Apple+ has all the MLS games. FubuTV and Paramount+ also have a couple matches but even my family has to draw the line somewhere. If you don't mind the Spanish commentary, US v El Salvador is on Peacock's Telemudo channel Monday night.

Not today. USMNT played Ghana yesterday and won in a rout (7-1). Interesting note, for the first time since MLS started not a single player on the pitch currently is an active MLS player. Although many have come through the MLS academy they've moved on to bigger leagues. That's a positive for both US Soccer's and MLS's development availability. For the record, Gio Reyna got the start because Tyler Adams is injured.

As for games today, F2 and Fox Soccer Plus have a few international games. Apple+ has all the MLS games. FubuTV and Paramount+ also have a couple matches but even my family has to draw the line somewhere. If you don't mind the Spanish commentary, US v El Salvador is on Peacock's Telemudo channel Monday night.
    Grenada, not Ghana. Pulisic was MOTM I am sure. Agree, it was good to see that we have talent in higher leagues (although Miles Robinson of ATLUTD likely would have started but for injury).

Man, CONCACAF fields can be awful.

Thanks for the broadcast info, that is great to know!

I think the USA match is on TNT Monday night. The announcers on TNT were pretty good for the Granada match.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I think the USA match is on TNT Monday night. The announcers on TNT were pretty good for the Granada match.
    ESPN has it listed as on TNT. Was nice to see the US get off to a fast start and not agonizing for long before Pepsi got us on the board. Might be a littlest more motivated with the rumors swirling around Balogen, being in Orlando this weekend after failing to get called up for England, even after Rashford was ruled out with injury (and Balogen bailing on the U-21s with an injury despite having played the full 90 this past weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Grenada, not Ghana. Pulisic was MOTM I am sure. Agree, it was good to see that we have talent in higher leagues (although Miles Robinson of ATLUTD likely would have started but for injury).
    Oh, thanks for the correction. That's a bigger brain fart than my usual ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Thanks.

Solid half for the US vs. Mexico. But most important was when the camera panned to DBR’s own @blazindw bangin’ on the drum in the American Outlaws section!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    FB_IMG_1681999279180.jpg

😁😁😁😁
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wrexham promoted. What a cool story and not sure it will stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    And one of the teams relegated to the National (Rochdale) had been a league team for the last 102 years.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/647508

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I have been on a media blackout about all things Wrexham related so the next season would be a surprise. Which I knew was totally unrealistic.