Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Except for the part where he put his fingers over his lips and then in his ears suggesting his critics were all wrong. Nice play but I doubt he has learned anything from the WC debacle.

Not his fault though - apparently he was raised that way.
    Awfully bold assumption to make. Perhaps he was attempting to say that he was tuning out all of the noise?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Awfully bold assumption to make. Perhaps he was attempting to say that he was tuning out all of the noise?
    Excuse me for assuming the “noise” he is referring to are the criticisms of his poor attitude and behavior during the WC. Those criticisms are just the #1 Gio Reyna topic (and US Soccer topic) for two months now.

Look I'm all for giving a 20yo another chance. But it would help if there were evidence that Gio learned anything from the experience. A bit of ownership and contrition for being a negative distraction to his teammates in one of the most important competitions of their lives would be a good start. Unfortunately it looks like he is sticking with the “innocent victim of soccer philistines” stance that his parents have modeled so well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Earnie Stewart is also out from US Soccer - seems like there is a pretty thorough turnover going on. It will be interesting to see how they staff things - I'm not clear who is in charge at this point.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...ership-in-flux
    U.S. Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone will be running the show. They are bringing in a consultancy firm for a full review and to aid the hiring of director (and probably coach and GM). The guy who runs it is an ex-Chelsea director so he has the contacts. USMNT now lacks a coach, a general manager and a sporting director. Looks like the sporting director will be hired by the beginning of the summer and the manager by the end of it. This is all a setback that can be overcome but it's wasting time. For the misery loves company crowd, French football is going through it's own crisis. French football in chaos: Le Graet under investigation and the undoing of bad culture

As expected, it was announced that the US will be hosting Copa America next year. The South Americans are allowing six CONMEBOL members as guests. The US will still have to qualify by the CONCACAF Nations League even though they are hosts. It's some big boy competition that the US would be lacking otherwise. There is the potential that this will be Messi's last international tournament. If you are a fan and want to see him in blue, here's your chance before he hits MLS.

Speaking of big boy football, City knocked out Arsenal in the FA cup...sigh. That's the first of three matches between then clubs.

Leeds moves on in the FA Cup. Professional win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Speaking of big boy football, City knocked out Arsenal in the FA cup...sigh. That's the first of three matches between then clubs.
    Both clubs seems to think it is the least important of the three, however. That game was tight all the way through, so anything can happen in the rematches.

The Wrexham-Sheffield United FA Cup match that just ended was fantastic, as was the Brighton-Liverpool match earlier today. Gotta love this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Wrexham-Sheffield United FA Cup match that just ended was fantastic, as was the Brighton-Liverpool match earlier today. Gotta love this competition.
    Amazing that you can get a match like Wrexham-Sheffield and ManCity-Aresenal in the same round of the same competition. It's kind of like the NCAA Tourney, if there were no seeds and the teams were assigned into the bracket randomly each round. There is something to be said for that approach...

From the Dutch league: Professional foul or S***housery.

Feyenoord goalkeeper thinks outside the box to leave FC Twente incensed

The keeper got a yellow (I think it should be a red) and FC Twente eventual scored the equalizer. The keeper had the gall to complain about the ball being thrown at him.

From the Dutch league: Professional foul or S***housery.

Feyenoord goalkeeper thinks outside the box to leave FC Twente incensed

The keeper got a yellow (I think it should be a red) and FC Twente eventual scored the equalizer. The keeper had the gall to complain about the ball being thrown at him.
    That's hilarious. But I agree with you that it is unsportsmanlike and should be greeted with a red card. I still love the sheer uniqueness of it, though.

Does the ref have any discretion to "play on" in that situation (i.e. not blow the whistle and allow a throw-in)? I would guess not, but I don't know if there is a specific rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That's hilarious. But I agree with you that it is unsportsmanlike and should be greeted with a red card. I still love the sheer uniqueness of it, though.

Does the ref have any discretion to "play on" in that situation (i.e. not blow the whistle and allow a throw-in)? I would guess not, but I don't know if there is a specific rule.
    Nah, there's a rule about having two balls on the pitch. The keeper knows that and was taking advantage of it to stop play. It's brilliant, quick thinking and technically legal but feels just so wrong.

And it's back. New Super League proposal was released yesterday.

Super League attempts revival.

The European Super League backers have revealed that they want to launch a new version of the project that crashed two years ago: a multi-division competition of 60 to 80 teams with no permanent members, and a minimum of 14 games per club, per season.
    It seems they have pivoted from a creating a top Pan European football division to a Champions League replacement. Teams would still play in their domestic leagues. Still don't like it.

In World Cup 2030 news:

Saudi Arabia looks to copy Qatar. This has to be the worst kept secret in all of football. It's a farce to even refer to it as a "secret." It's been out there for months. They can't do it alone because even a corrupt FIFA can't justify going back to the Middle East so soon. By including Greece and Egypt they hope to get votes from European, African and Asian countries. They are going to compete against a joint Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay (and maybe Bolivia) bid. I would guess Argentina would have the bulk of the games. 2030 would mark a 100 years of World Cup and having the original host (Uruguay) would be a nice touch.

The secret Saudi plan to buy the World Cup

As part of the push for 2030, looks like Saudi Arabia is trying to become a sponsor for the Woman's Women's World Cup this summer. The host countries are not happy. Let's see if they can flex like Qatar did and force FIFA's hand.

Officials from Australia and New Zealand were blindsided by reports that FIFA would make Saudi Arabia’s tourism authority a partner for the tournament.

Today two warmup tournaments for the Women's World cup kick off.

SheBelieves Cup has the US, Canada, Japan and Brazil. They are all top 15 in the world. Canada are Olympic gold medalist. The US is the regianing World Cup champ. There should be some really good matches here. The Canada Soccer Federation and the woman's team are at loggerheads. If the team's claims are true that's a bad look for Canada Soccer. It make the US look OK.

Across the pond we have the Arnold Clark Cup with England, Belgium, Italy and Korea Republic. They are all top 20 in the world. Both tournaments should serve as important tests for all countries but especially for the US and England. The US will be favored going into the World Cup but England will be right behind.

Question MLS Kid's Club

I've never been to a professional soccer game of any kind, but I'm taking my 9 year old godson to a DC United game for his birthday next weekend. I'm a huge baseball fan and most MLB teams have some sort of kid's club where you pay $15-20 and the kids get some team swag and maybe a special certificate or little things like that. Does anybody know if MLS teams in general or DC United specifically have something like that? Google isn't helping because searching DC United + kids points me to their youth development programs.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    I've never been to a professional soccer game of any kind, but I'm taking my 9 year old godson to a DC United game for his birthday next weekend. I'm a huge baseball fan and most MLB teams have some sort of kid's club where you pay $15-20 and the kids get some team swag and maybe a special certificate or little things like that. Does anybody know if MLS teams in general or DC United specifically have something like that? Google isn't helping because searching DC United + kids points me to their youth development programs.

It's not a team run thing but DC United have a fan run support group called the Screaming Eagles. That might be your best bet.

https://www.screaming-eagles.com/
    Last edited by Kdogg; 03-05-2023 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    DBR's own blazindw is a major DC United supporter. It'd probably be worth giving him a shout.

I'm a petty man. Certain loses bring joy to me, like anytime UNC loses or the Big Ten flames out of any post season play. Today was one of those days. Both Spurs and PSG flamed out of the Champions League. PSG, which has the most expensive roster in the world, got knocked out by Bayern who are financially restrained by the Bundesliga rules. PSG just didn't play as a team. They assume overwhelming talent will prevail. That might world in the French League not not here. This might have been Messi's last Champions League match unless you count the Concacaf Champions League which is...well lets say it's an interesting tournament. (A match yesterday had a dog go after the ball on the pitch during play. That surprises no one.) The talk about Messi to Inter Miami keeps getting louder. I don't fully buy into it but it is strange that he hasn't resigned with PSG yet. Half of the quarterfinal field was set. The other half will be done next weak.

It would still be shocking if they bring him back. I think the only reason would be because they couldn't find anyone else to deal with this mess.

U.S. Soccer says Gregg Berhalter eligible to coach men's team after investigation

From the article:

The investigation also found a need for U.S. Soccer to "revisit U.S. Soccer's policies concerning appropriate parental conduct and communications. The report detailed how Danielle and Claudio Reyna attempted to influence U.S. Soccer officials' decisions related to their son, U.S. international Giovanni Reyna, and their veiled threats to publicly disclose the domestic violence incident involving Berhalter in retaliation for Berhalter's treatment of Gio. One interview described Claudio Reyna's outreach over Gio Reyna's treatment as "inappropriate," "bullying" and "mean-spirited."
    According to the report, Danielle Reyna told a U.S. Soccer staffer the day after the World Cup match against Wales: "Once this tournament is over, I can make one phone call and give one interview, and his cool sneakers and bounce passes will be gone."
    The report included details of how this wasn't the first time that the Reynas had complained about Gio's treatment, including during his days representing the U.S. at the 2019 U-17 World Cup.

According to the report, one person interviewed described several incidents in which Mr. Reyna contacted U.S. Soccer officials to make complaints regarding his sons.

It would still be shocking if they bring him back. I think the only reason would be because they couldn't find anyone else to deal with this mess.

U.S. Soccer says Gregg Berhalter eligible to coach men's team after investigation

From the article:
    Regardless of who they hire, this seems like a step in the right direction. They investigated a claim against Berhalter, concluded for sound reasons that he was eligible for rehire — and that they should probably update their policy about bad soccer parents.

And then they announced their findings, including their rationale.

Now both the federation and Berhalter can move on (hopefully in different directions, but if he’s the best we can get, well, yay?).
    Carolina delenda est

World Cup 2026 Format Change

Common sense prevails. FIFA will scrap the 3 team group stage and replace it with 4 team groups. There will be 12 groups of four rather than 16 groups of three. The top two in the group advances and then the top eight third place teams. It's a similar format that was last used in 1994 when the US hosted the tournament. (Also previous Women's World Cups and the Euros). It's going to add an extra week and 24 extra games from the old plan. It's a total of 44 extra games from 2022. For reference the first World Cup I saw had 52 games with 24 teams. The last four teams will play one extra game and the last two two extra. And of course FIFA wins again because the revues will be juiced with the extra matches.

World Cup 2026: Fifa switches back to four-team group format

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Longest goal scored in history.

Nice kick, goalie.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/22/footb...ntl/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."