Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Except for the part where he put his fingers over his lips and then in his ears suggesting his critics were all wrong. Nice play but I doubt he has learned anything from the WC debacle.

    Not his fault though - apparently he was raised that way.
    Awfully bold assumption to make. Perhaps he was attempting to say that he was tuning out all of the noise?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Awfully bold assumption to make. Perhaps he was attempting to say that he was tuning out all of the noise?
    Excuse me for assuming the “noise” he is referring to are the criticisms of his poor attitude and behavior during the WC. Those criticisms are just the #1 Gio Reyna topic (and US Soccer topic) for two months now.

    Look I'm all for giving a 20yo another chance. But it would help if there were evidence that Gio learned anything from the experience. A bit of ownership and contrition for being a negative distraction to his teammates in one of the most important competitions of their lives would be a good start. Unfortunately it looks like he is sticking with the “innocent victim of soccer philistines” stance that his parents have modeled so well for him.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Earnie Stewart is also out from US Soccer - seems like there is a pretty thorough turnover going on. It will be interesting to see how they staff things - I'm not clear who is in charge at this point.

    https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...ership-in-flux
    U.S. Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone will be running the show. They are bringing in a consultancy firm for a full review and to aid the hiring of director (and probably coach and GM). The guy who runs it is an ex-Chelsea director so he has the contacts. USMNT now lacks a coach, a general manager and a sporting director. Looks like the sporting director will be hired by the beginning of the summer and the manager by the end of it. This is all a setback that can be overcome but it's wasting time. For the misery loves company crowd, French football is going through it's own crisis. French football in chaos: Le Graet under investigation and the undoing of bad culture

    As expected, it was announced that the US will be hosting Copa America next year. The South Americans are allowing six CONMEBOL members as guests. The US will still have to qualify by the CONCACAF Nations League even though they are hosts. It's some big boy competition that the US would be lacking otherwise. There is the potential that this will be Messi's last international tournament. If you are a fan and want to see him in blue, here's your chance before he hits MLS.

    Speaking of big boy football, City knocked out Arsenal in the FA cup...sigh. That's the first of three matches between then clubs.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Leeds moves on in the FA Cup. Professional win.
    “Bob says run! Bob says run! Bob says run!”

    {good pick-up after handoff}

    “Bob was right! Bob was right! Bob was right!”

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Speaking of big boy football, City knocked out Arsenal in the FA cup...sigh. That's the first of three matches between then clubs.
    Both clubs seems to think it is the least important of the three, however. That game was tight all the way through, so anything can happen in the rematches.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    The Wrexham-Sheffield United FA Cup match that just ended was fantastic, as was the Brighton-Liverpool match earlier today. Gotta love this competition.
    “Bob says run! Bob says run! Bob says run!”

    {good pick-up after handoff}

    “Bob was right! Bob was right! Bob was right!”

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Wrexham-Sheffield United FA Cup match that just ended was fantastic, as was the Brighton-Liverpool match earlier today. Gotta love this competition.
    Amazing that you can get a match like Wrexham-Sheffield and ManCity-Aresenal in the same round of the same competition. It's kind of like the NCAA Tourney, if there were no seeds and the teams were assigned into the bracket randomly each round. There is something to be said for that approach...

  8. #28
    From the Dutch league: Professional foul or S***housery.



    Feyenoord goalkeeper thinks outside the box to leave FC Twente incensed

    The keeper got a yellow (I think it should be a red) and FC Twente eventual scored the equalizer. The keeper had the gall to complain about the ball being thrown at him.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    From the Dutch league: Professional foul or S***housery.

    Feyenoord goalkeeper thinks outside the box to leave FC Twente incensed

    The keeper got a yellow (I think it should be a red) and FC Twente eventual scored the equalizer. The keeper had the gall to complain about the ball being thrown at him.
    That's hilarious. But I agree with you that it is unsportsmanlike and should be greeted with a red card. I still love the sheer uniqueness of it, though.

    Does the ref have any discretion to "play on" in that situation (i.e. not blow the whistle and allow a throw-in)? I would guess not, but I don't know if there is a specific rule.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That's hilarious. But I agree with you that it is unsportsmanlike and should be greeted with a red card. I still love the sheer uniqueness of it, though.

    Does the ref have any discretion to "play on" in that situation (i.e. not blow the whistle and allow a throw-in)? I would guess not, but I don't know if there is a specific rule.
    Nah, there's a rule about having two balls on the pitch. The keeper knows that and was taking advantage of it to stop play. It's brilliant, quick thinking and technically legal but feels just so wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. Football, Fútbol, Futebol, Soccer - redux
    By JohnGalt in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 02:36 AM
  2. Duke Soccer Alums in Major League Soccer (MLS)
    By coblue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 12:44 PM
  3. Football, Fútbol, Futebol, Soccer
    By BlueDevilJay in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1353
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
  4. Let's talk some Fútbol
    By RainingThrees in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 01:51 AM
  5. Olympic Soccer (Futbol)
    By hurleyfor3 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •