Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I particularly like that he's added OL transfers who will have more than one year to play given how thin we would otherwise be at that position going forward.
    We wouldn't have gotten anywhere near nine wins this season without the OL transfers, and our success next year will be highly dependent upon the play of the new guys, all of whom look like keepers. Our previous OL recruitment/development/injury situation was just horrendous, the cupboard was pretty bare. I'm hopeful Elko's recruits will fare better across the board.

We brought in five defensive linemen in this current class and there is still a chance that we bring in one or two portal transfers in the spring.

We have some talented kids in the 2022 and 2023 class to develop on the O-Line, but it would not surprise me if we were heavy on O-linemen in the 2024 class.

I don't know which thread to put this in (time to start a "Dukies in the NFL draft" thread?) but did anyone catch Joiner or Decker in the Hula bowl earlier today?

Joiner played the first and last quarters. Helped in tackles in run defense. Didn’t get much action but didn’t seem to screw up either.

ND is set to come to Wally Wade on 9/30. That is a blockbuster September: probably 4 home games, probably 2 ranked opponents.

Link: https://und.com/notre-dame-announces...ball-schedule/

As the schedule is released slower than molasses, your opener is Monday, 9/4 against Clemson. Certainly a national TV game.

Any possible HS recruits Wednesday?

Now that the 25 per class limit has been removed, any scuttlebutt on possible HS recruit signings on Wed or is it more likely we wait for the transfer portal after spring practice which allows for an assessment of needs?

Damn this coming schedule looks so daunting for us! We have Clemson (H), Notre Dame (H), Northwestern (H), FSU (A), NC State (A), Louisville (A), UNC (A) n Pitt (H). This is a much tougher looking schedule than last year!
    The easier games imo are Lafyette (A), UConn (A), Wake (H) n UVA (A).

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    your opener is Monday, 9/4 against Clemson. Certainly a national TV game.
    This is fantastic! We'll be as healthy as we will be all season, we have the entire preseason to prepare for them, and we'll send a message to the world that Duke Football is more than just a contender! We are going to beat Clemson on September 4th!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Damn this coming schedule looks so daunting for us! We have Clemson (H), Notre Dame (H), Northwestern (H), FSU (A), NC State (A), Louisville (A), UNC (A) n Pitt (H). This is a much tougher looking schedule than last year!
    Very very hard schedule. We shall see

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A schedule like that is scary to fans, but very attractive to recruits.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Does anyone with more current campus ties know how long the Labor Day game has been in the works? It looks like Duke released the academic calendar back in April that added Labor Day as a holiday for students this year.

About as difficult this coming year as last year's was easy. I'm glad we had an easy schedule last year to help rebuild the program, but it would have been nice to make an incremental step up in difficulty.

We could go 6-6, 6-7, or even 5-7 and potentially come out higher in the computer rankings and have a theoretically stronger performance than we did this year at 9-4.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Does anyone with more current campus ties know how long the Labor Day game has been in the works? It looks like Duke released the academic calendar back in April that added Labor Day as a holiday for students this year.
    Duke and Clemson were originally playing non conference games to start the season until late December. Both then had their Week 1's opened. Clemson announced the schedule change, Duke did not, but people who pay attention to these things, noticed about 4 weeks ago that Duke and Clemson were likely playing in week 1 now. Also, a friend of mine who is part of a Clemson tailgate group was informed by that group that it was going to be a Monday night game a month ago. Not sure how they got that intel.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Duke and Clemson were originally playing non conference games to start the season until late December. Both then had their Week 1's opened. Clemson announced the schedule change, Duke did not, but people who pay attention to these things, noticed about 4 weeks ago that Duke and Clemson were likely playing in week 1 now. Also, a friend of mine who is part of a Clemson tailgate group was informed by that group that it was going to be a Monday night game a month ago. Not sure how they got that intel.
    I've got no doubt that this will be the most populated game since hosting 'Bama. I don't think it will be the case that there is a season of cheap stubhub tickets available after thanks to opposing fans though. (For those that weren't there, Tide fans bought season tickets just for that one game because they were so cheap, and then sold the rest like a five and dime store.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    GoDuke list the State game as a home game, Lafayette too. That’s seven home games which hopefully others us a nice advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    It's about friggin' time! I don't know if that's directly football-related or not. Everybody I ever talked to HATED that Duke was in session on Labor Day, and it was honestly fairly useless. As often as not, faculty would simply cancel class for that day, anyway, because they didn't want to be there, either. Hopefully, it's a permanent change.

Watched some of the talking heads on the ACCN as they discussed each team's schedule...most noteworthy was the fact they didn't even know who's on the team, mentioned guys coming back who aren't. Good work, guys! (we do have a ton of good players coming back, and some fine port-o-let guys)..

Just made hotel reservations for Clemson game. Expect that might be difficult later. A word to the wise…

Quote Originally Posted by 60sDukie View Post
    Just made hotel reservations for Clemson game. Expect that might be difficult later. A word to the wise…
    Excellent advice! I just made mine. Also, book the Notre Dame game now. Their fanbase travels well too and that will also be a sellout.