Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    ... We could go 6-6, 6-7, or even 5-7 and potentially come out higher in the computer rankings and have a theoretically stronger performance than we did this year at 9-4.
    Proving your point -- in 2022, per the SRS:

Duke was the 32nd best team, finished 9-4, playing the 77th toughest schedule.
    Oklahoma was the 26th best team, finished 6-7, playing the 10th toughest schedule.

From the period 1970-present, using the SOS at sports-reference, it looks like 1984 Duke (2-9) and 1996 Duke (0-11) faced the toughest relative slates -- both at 18th-toughest schedule in country those years.
    Last edited by Reilly; 01-31-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 60sDukie View Post
    Just made hotel reservations for Clemson game. Expect that might be difficult later. A word to the wise…
    We always stay out near RTP and the airport where there are literally dozens of business hotels and it's only a 15 minute drive into campus...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    GoDuke list the State game as a home game, Lafayette too. That’s seven home games which hopefully others us a nice advantage.
    You are correct I misread it by going how it was highlighted on the web page. Bummed now as I was looking at going to the Lafyette game if it had been in Easton.

Quote Originally Posted by 60sDukie View Post
    Just made hotel reservations for Clemson game. Expect that might be difficult later. A word to the wise…
    Both Clemson and ND are the only games in town that day. You will only have trouble getting a hotel room close to campus or perhaps the airport with ND.

https://twitter.com/jack_ronilo/stat...KPcOlZDxQgWaMg

It’s not everyday Duke football secures a 5 star recruit but they did. Jack Ronilo is a 5 star long snapper from Alabama. I presumed Duke was finished after early signing day but I was wrong. Presently, he’ll be a preferred walk on.

Duke football have had excellent long snappers in the past. Here’s to years of success with this young man. Welcome, Jack

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Fun little snippet from an article looking at ND's schedule.

There isn’t a true dud in the ACC bunch. Duke – don’t laugh, it’s coming off a terrific year with everyone back – is nasty on the road the week after dealing with Ohio State.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/notre-d...210613124.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    https://twitter.com/jack_ronilo/stat...KPcOlZDxQgWaMg

It’s not everyday Duke football secures a 5 star recruit but they did. Jack Ronilo is a 5 star long snapper from Alabama. I presumed Duke was finished after early signing day but I was wrong. Presently, he’ll be a preferred walk on.

Duke football have had excellent long snappers in the past. Here’s to years of success with this young man. Welcome, Jack
    No one notices the long snapper until he screws up. Anyone else remember the Kansas game, maybe 10 years ago, in which the Jayhawk long snapper screwed up about four times, giving us a mess of points.

A pick me up after last night. Bill Connelly at ESPN has his returning production rankings (ESPN+ subscription required): https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...on-2023-season

Duke is 33rd overall. The offense is #9, which is first in the ACC in returning production. The defense is #77.

This team should score some points. I'm excited to see Riley Leonard and co. get their shot against some bigger opponents this fall.

Great little tidbit in one of the Worldwide Leader's innumerable "Way Too Early" season previews for this fall. From Chris Low in the "Wildest Predictions" section:

Duke wins at least nine games for the second year in a row...Elko is the real deal, and he has quickly built a culture that's reminiscent of the one Cutcliffe built when he had it going in Durham.
    If Elko can pull off another 9-win season with this fall's schedule, then he probably ought to win ACC Coach of the Year again.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Great little tidbit in one of the Worldwide Leader's innumerable "Way Too Early" season previews for this fall. From Chris Low in the "Wildest Predictions" section:

If Elko can pull off another 9-win season with this fall's schedule, then he probably ought to win ACC Coach of the Year again.
    He ought to win national coach of the year

Looks like we have 2 incoming transfers from big-time programs (Texas A&M and Miami) at the cornerback position. Cornerback play seemed drastically improved last year. Are we expecting these guys to help take it to the next level?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    He ought to win national coach of the year
    While it certainly would be a great achievement, I doubt voters will be savvy enough to see a 9-4 team go 9-4 again and reward the coach for not getting worse (despite the obvious SOS improvement).

Also, the logical 4 losses would be Clemson, ND, FSU and either UNC or State. So if Duke only wins one of those there won’t be many high quality wins in those 9.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    While it certainly would be a great achievement, I doubt voters will be savvy enough to see a 9-4 team go 9-4 again and reward the coach for not getting worse (despite the obvious SOS improvement).

Also, the logical 4 losses would be Clemson, ND, FSU and either UNC or State. So if Duke only wins one of those there won’t be many high quality wins in those 9.
    I for one would totally cool with a list of 9 "low-quality" wins.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I for one would totally cool with a list of 9 "low-quality" wins.
    Lol, agreed - no complaints here either

The Section 17/Duke Football Talk guys did a great interview with David Feeley, highly recommend checking it out on the podcast platform of your choice (they don't link it there but they are also on Google Podcasts, and maybe some others). Really enjoyed hearing Feeley talk about his background and his approach.

https://dukefootballtalk.com/david-feeley-conversation/

This is great news!

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    DukeFootballTalk
    @DukeFBTalk
    Big news ahead of
    @DukeFOOTBALL
    ’s spring practice. Per a source connected to the program, grad transfer & starting LB Cam Dillon is back with the team and will be using his final year of eligibility in 2023.

Honestly, that’s a big get for Coach Elko & his staff this off-season.
    5:49 PM · Mar 9, 2023
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Huge to have him back, awesome news!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This is great news!
    Understatement. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob Green

Wonderful. Columbia guy; who’d a thunk it?

Great!!!!