Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CBS rates all the first-year CFB coaches... Coach Elko gets an A. Four coaches get an A+.

College football first-year coach grades: Lincoln Riley earns 'A-' as Mario Cristobal starts with 'F'
    How did all 29 first-year coaches do during their debut campaigns in 2022?
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...starts-with-f/
    "Elko was a solid hire at Duke, but results came quicker than anyone could have imagined. The Blue Devils won nine games for the first time since 2014 behind improvement on both sides of the ball. Duke has a young quarterback, Riley Leonard, to build around."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Those 5 announced transfers all enrolled for the spring semester. I assume the others will join the team in the summer.
    Yep, these 5 are mid-year transfers. We'll get to see them during the Spring game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    CBS rates all the first-year CFB coaches... Coach Elko gets an A. Four coaches get an A+.

College football first-year coach grades: Lincoln Riley earns 'A-' as Mario Cristobal starts with 'F'
    How did all 29 first-year coaches do during their debut campaigns in 2022?
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...starts-with-f/
    "Elko was a solid hire at Duke, but results came quicker than anyone could have imagined. The Blue Devils won nine games for the first time since 2014 behind improvement on both sides of the ball. Duke has a young quarterback, Riley Leonard, to build around."
    I think he used a different set of criteria for Power 5 and Group of 5, so there was only one P5 coach who earned an A+ (hard to argue with TCU) - the other two A+ grades were G5 schools/coaches where I think he was using a different standard. Besides Elko and Dykes it looks like there were two other A and two A- grades among the P5 coaches.

Cool to see Elko (and by extension Duke) get some recognition, thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ absolutely spectacular year. One possible turd in the punch bowl is that Mizzippi State is talking to Johns about their OC job...hopefully he stays here...(I really think staying here gives him more job security, but that's just me)
    I just saw on Twitter that Miss. St. hired the App. St. OC as their new OC.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I just saw on Twitter that Miss. St. hired the App. St. OC as their new OC.
    There was a marvelous festouche on the Mizzippi State board regarding hiring a new OC...I give them credit for enthusiasm, page after page of stuff, the focus being they were "finalizing a deal" with Johns at one point per multiple sources of theirs. When that fell through, they focused on other top P5 assistants...needless to say, the hiring from App left them a bit deflated.

As it turns out, they did ask to speak to Johns who told them he was not going anywhere.

As it turns out, they did ask to speak to Johns who told them he was not going anywhere.
    Music to my ears!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

There was a marvelous festouche on the Mizzippi State board regarding hiring a new OC...I give them credit for enthusiasm, page after page of stuff, the focus being they were "finalizing a deal" with Johns at one point per multiple sources of theirs. When that fell through, they focused on other top P5 assistants...needless to say, the hiring from App left them a bit deflated.

Why would anyone want to leave what Elko is building? I understand a DC or OC taking an opportunity to move up the ladder/pay rung two or three years from now but I would think being at Duke at this exact moment of ascension has to be a dream job, at least in terms of job satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Why would anyone want to leave what Elko is building? I understand a DC or OC taking an opportunity to move up the ladder/pay rung two or three years from now but I would think being at Duke at this exact moment of ascension has to be a dream job, at least in terms of job satisfaction.
    Good question, which I think was somewhat answered at the MSU site's thread. They made the assumption that Duke salaries suck, and it would be easy to wrangle him away because they are Big Time and we are Small Time.
    Turns out they were wrong. Per Adam Rowe at the Devils Den (which I recommend, Elko Lodge, for football fans) Duke's previous assistant salaries were among the worst in the ACC, now they are in the upper third.

I think Nina King has a firm grip on reality, knew what it would take to get Elko in the first place (lots of money, including for assistants and other staff) and what it will take to retain them. Now that we all know that Elko was a home run hire, I'm fully confident she'll do whatever she can to keep the staff intact (which can't always be done, sometimes guys DO have to leave for better opportunities, such is life) because football is driving the revenue bus upon which her entire athletic dept is dependent.

The Clemson game, which has a decent chance of being the opener, just got a lot tougher with a new OC from TCU. The TCU series in 2028/2029 just got a lot easier.

Clemson Link: https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-foo...tt-riley-21023

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Shoring up the OL via the transfer portal is fantastic news. Games are won in the trenches.
    Darius Joyner was a great addition to the defense last year, also a former FCS All-American. FCS All-American as a freshman is very impressive, seems like an outstanding addition to the line for the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Those 5 announced transfers all enrolled for the spring semester. I assume the others will join the team in the summer.
    Dan Volpe is now signed and enrolled. No word on Hoitink from Penn.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Do we have a full list of Duke players who entered the portal? I saw where Matt Smith (TE) put his name in the portal, but had not seen that reported previously.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Dan Volpe is now signed and enrolled. No word on Hoitink from Penn.
    seems that he may be finishing up stuff at Penn (which would be worthwhile)...evidently he is at this time a "preferred walk on" but I think he will be a strong contributor and could well have a scholarship by Fall...

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Do we have a full list of Duke players who entered the portal? I saw where Matt Smith (TE) put his name in the portal, but had not seen that reported previously.
    https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Fo...utionkey=24009
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    247 sports has a page that seems to pretty comprehensively track entries and exits via the portal.

Seven in, ten out.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks, Bob and Nugget, that is exactly what I was looking for.

The extent to which Elko has revamped the roster (in a very good way) is incredibly impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The Clemson game, which has a decent chance of being the opener, just got a lot tougher with a new OC from TCU. The TCU series in 2028/2029 just got a lot easier.

Clemson Link: https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-foo...tt-riley-21023
    Almost assuredly will be the opening weekend game. Every other TBD team on our schedule has a non-con game scheduled that weekend.

The extent to which Elko has revamped the roster (in a very good way) is incredibly impressive...
    I particularly like that he's added OL transfers who will have more than one year to play given how thin we would otherwise be at that position going forward.