Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It must enormously gratifying for the players. A year ago they lost every ACC game by an average of 33 points per game, and this year they essentially finished at the 26th ranked team in the country.
    Duke football ranked 26th

Duke Basketball currently ranked 24th

An unusual occurrence or a trend?

... Guys like Elko and his staff (and other solid college coaches) are far more qualified to assess talent than the guys who do it for web sites.
    They're more qualified both because our staff appears to be highly competent and because they got to see these players at their own summer camp--that's very different than seeing somebody play in a highlight reel +/- an All Star Game. My impression is that, by and large, college coaches hardly ever see any prospects play any regular games unless the high school happens to play its Friday night game very close to wherever the college team is playing on Saturday. And even then, most college prospects will be playing against high school players who aren't college prospects.

I'd only add that, from my reading of sites like 247, we don't need to worry too much about whether our class was rated #35 or #60. Throughout this middle range, the entire class is a bunch of 3 star players with maybe a couple of 4 stars among the higher rated teams. For example, in 2022, #30 was Iowa with 2, 4 stars and 16, 3 stars. #100 was Georgia State with 13, 3 stars. There's a range of quality within the 3 star group, but it's very difficult to predict who is going to be a career backup and which among the 3 stars will end up comprising the 40% of NFL draftees who were originally rated as 3 stars. Often, the P5 teams get better overall class rankings partly by getting the guys closer to 4 stars but often just by volume (20 recruits is rated much higher than 14 recruits, even if they are all 3 stars of equivalent ranking). All of these teams anticipate a good bit of attrition.

The real difference, imho, is between top 10 recruiting classes and the teams that recruit below about #30. The ratings may not be entirely predictive, but they do mean something... In looking at last night's roster, Georgia and TCU had recruited a total of 26 guys since 2018 who were rated 5 stars. 25 were recruited to Georgia, and one to TCU (that guy transferred to Ole Miss a year ago). There's a reason why analysts were calling Georgia a pro team before the game. Though it's also true that Stetson Bennett, Ladd McConkey, and Adonai Mitchell were stars in the game, and all 3 were rated as 3 star players out of high school.

With a good enough staff, great prospects can be identified and cultivated. We'll see how it goes next year when we play against teams like ND, FSU, Clemson, and even UNC, all of which have a whole bunch of 4 and 5 star players. Just like the 2022 Miami team...
    Last edited by johnb; 01-10-2023 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke gets a commitment from FCS All-American Dan Volpe. Really great get!

https://twitter.com/DanVolpe71/statu...2YKb5dZWlYyaVA

Also

https://theathletic.com/4066501/2023...ansfer-portal/
    Is he any relation to the Yankees minor leaguer Anthony Volpe?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

2023 schedule will be released on ACCN at 7:00 pm on 1/30. I just got an email from an opponent's athletic department that sells Duke basketball tickets so there's no link.

I found one. Assume it will be the same for Duke even though they rotated off the schedule.

VT link: https://hokiesports.com/news/2023/1/...ay-jan-30.aspx

Steve Spurrier Jr going to Tulsa as OC. Had forgotten he was at Miss St with Leach.

Aaron Rouse, who should still be in prison for his ridiculously late spearing Thad, elected to the Virginia Senate tonight.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bye, Bly.
    North Carolina and cornerbacks coach Dre Bly have "mutually agreed to part ways," according to a release from the school Wednesday.

Bly is one of UNC's all-time greats, a two-time All-American cornerback for the Tar Heels from 1995 through 1998. He had served as one of coach Mack Brown's top recruiters, particularly in the Virginia Beach area, where he helped lure blue-chip recruits like Tony Grimes and Tayon Holloway.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...heels-cb-coach
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sounds like he was fired.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Sounds like he was fired.
    Mack "Mr. Football" Brown does not hesitate to throw assistants off the boat to keep the heat off himself.

The Heels seem to under-perform their recruiting rankings and have had chronic problems on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Mack "Mr. Football" Brown does not hesitate to throw assistants off the boat to keep the heat off himself.

The Heels seem to under-perform their recruiting rankings and have had chronic problems on defense.
    Once upon a time, people said that Mack Brown can't coach. I remember one glorious trip to Charlottesville when I was a student that made my R.A., a Duke divinity student and UNC fan, furious about how much money the ACC lost that night. Somehow, someway nobody in my dorm cared.

So the roster makeover continues...Elko brings in bruiser CB Myles Jones from A&M to join Blades from Miami in the secondary.

Most impressively, we have yet another 300 lb graduate lineman coming in, this one, Hall, from South Florida, who joins Hornibrook from Stanford, Hoitink from Penn, Purcell from Elon and FCS Freshman AA Volpe from Towson...that's five large additions to join stalwarts Monk, Barton, Pickett and some other risers, maybe even McIntyre if healthy. Our Cut era OL classes just largely did not work out via talent, injury, or coaching, there seems to be a variety of reasons.

If Elko's OL talent evaluation is as good this year as it was last year, we should have another formidable OL...Duke with a smash mouth running game, what has the world come to?

Lots to like in the transfer portal.

On defense, we have two guys who have played a lot of football at the P5 level in Al Blades and Myles Jones (we can only hope this Myles Jones will be as effective as his lacrosse counterpart). I'm a tiny bit surprised we haven't added a linebacker with Heyward and Dillon on the way out. Hopefully that means the staff likes the young talent at that spot.

On offense, we added some OL with some real experience as well. I'm not sure we want to be building our OL like that every year, but I'm going to trust the staff after how well it worked in 2022. Thankfully we do have some returners so we aren't completely rebuilding the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Lots to like in the transfer portal.

On defense, we have two guys who have played a lot of football at the P5 level in Al Blades and Myles Jones (we can only hope this Myles Jones will be as effective as his lacrosse counterpart). I'm a tiny bit surprised we haven't added a linebacker with Heyward and Dillon on the way out. Hopefully that means the staff likes the young talent at that spot.

On offense, we added some OL with some real experience as well. I'm not sure we want to be building our OL like that every year, but I'm going to trust the staff after how well it worked in 2022. Thankfully we do have some returners so we aren't completely rebuilding the line.
    yeah, we had essentially no inventory on the OL because of injuries, lack of development, talent, etc. We never would have won nine games this year without all the portal help we got, and it's obvious that we'd have been in trouble next year on the OL without all the new guys.

I'm still hoping Dillon may be back at LB..

Going forward, with Elko's talent evaluation and better recruiting, hopefully we will be less reliant on the portal..but it's been a monstrous help thus far...

I'm still hoping Dillon may be back at LB..
    This may not be conclusive, but he's not on the 2023 roster here: https://goduke.com/sports/football/roster. Looks like we have one returner with significant experience in Mausi, two returners with some experience in Freeman and Morris, and then guys who have hardly played.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Duke football ranked 26th

Duke Basketball currently ranked 24th

An unusual occurrence or a trend?
    Unusual....probably the last time we saw this...was when K and Spurrier were here at the same time. I thought at the time Duke had the best BB / FB combo in the country...and the way their careers took off shortly after that, I'd say that was 100% on the money.

Duke with a smash mouth running game, what has the world come to?
    Somewhere, Bob Green suddenly smiles for no apparent reason.

Duke Football announces additions of five incoming transfers.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ers-202714500/

What happened to Olinemen transfers Ben Hoitink from Penn and Dan Volpe from Elon? They are not mentioned in the article.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke Football announces additions of five incoming transfers.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ers-202714500/

What happened to Olinemen transfers Ben Hoitink from Penn and Dan Volpe from Elon? They are not mentioned in the article.
    Those 5 announced transfers all enrolled for the spring semester. I assume the others will join the team in the summer.

So the roster makeover continues...Elko brings in bruiser CB Myles Jones from A&M to join Blades from Miami in the secondary.

Most impressively, we have yet another 300 lb graduate lineman coming in, this one, Hall, from South Florida, who joins Hornibrook from Stanford, Hoitink from Penn, Purcell from Elon and FCS Freshman AA Volpe from Towson...that's five large additions to join stalwarts Monk, Barton, Pickett and some other risers, maybe even McIntyre if healthy. Our Cut era OL classes just largely did not work out via talent, injury, or coaching, there seems to be a variety of reasons.

If Elko's OL talent evaluation is as good this year as it was last year, we should have another formidable OL...Duke with a smash mouth running game, what has the world come to?
    Thanks for the updates!

I’m excited about the two cornerbacks. They’ve both been frequent starters on teams with elite talent, and both got derailed by health stuff (Blades by COVID myositis, and Jones by injuries that screwed up his last 2 years). Both were 4 star recruits in high school and are very athletic at baseline—we know about Blades’s relatives, while Jones won the 2019 Aggie defensive most improved award and defensive strength award; both awards would presumably have been handed to him by his DC, Mike Elko. They are also very experienced. Blades is entering his 6th college season, and Jones is entering his 7th. If they’re back to full strength, and they play up to their potential, they appear to be NFL-level players. Corners who can cover an additional second or two are very popular with DE’s, who can therefore get more sacks. Blades is big for a CB (6’1”), while Jones is a massive 6’4”… they might also play some role in filling in if our LB group is relatively thin.

All of these guys seem able to immediately contribute, which is great.

From what I’ve read, Hall has 2 more years of eligibility, and Volpe has 3. Hornibrook, Hoitink, and Purcell seem to have one year left.

One important aspect of bringing in experienced depth relates to injuries. Not just in terms of stepping in for injured players, but by having a solid core of two-deep, in shape players who routinely rotate in and out of the game, I’d guess we end up with fewer injuries (and fewer penalties).