Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ginger Baker, or Marianne Faithfull?
    I get it… 😀

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Simon and Garfunkel (But i have read really bad things about Paul Simon. If you can find the story about Los Lobos and Paul Simon, you will think much less of Paul Simon).
    I have read Los Lobos' accusation that Simon should have credited them with writing "The Myth of Fingerprints," on which they were the backing band, but it doesn't make sense on several levels to me. Simon gave out co-writing credit on other songs, including the hits, from "Graceland" like a pez dispenser. Why would he do that but not do so for very much a deep album cut if he truly thought it were warranted? I also read the Los Lobos guy claim Simon didn't even know how to pronounce zydeco and had no knowledge of the style. He had been exploring with music from all over the world since Los Lobos were in diapers, had studied musical theory, and it's not even the only song in that style on "Graceland." The Los Lobos guys also suggested that Simon stole the song because he needed a hit. Again, it wasn't a single, and Los Lobos has really had one hit commercial song ever, and it was a cover. The lyrics certainly seem all Paul, and the overall style matches him, too. I like Los Lobos' music. Creating can be an organic process subject to different perspectives, so both sides may sincerely believe their position. I just don't see enough to besmirch the reputation of a brilliant artist.

I heard Tom Petty say he wrote songs he liked but then realized they were unintentionally very similar to an existing song, so he just scrapped them. Maybe, Los Lobos jammed to a basic groove, it floated around in the Simon's subconscious for a while, and then it went into a fully developed song?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Ahh, Wilco. Love the “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” album.
    I didn't like it at first, but I really warmed up to "A Ghost is Born" to where it might be favorite Wilco album. "Summer Teeth" and "Star Wars" are both legit great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I didn't like it at first, but I really warmed up to "A Ghost is Born" to where it might be favorite Wilco album. "Summer Teeth" and "Star Wars" are both legit great as well.
    Summerteeth and A Ghost is Born both come in ahead of YHF as far as complete works in the Wilco canon for me as well, although the top tracks on YHF are some of my very favorites in their entire oeuvre. And again, they're my fave band, so even "least favorite Wilco album" is still in pretty heavy rotation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Summerteeth and A Ghost is Born both come in ahead of YHF as far as complete works in the Wilco canon for me as well, although the top tracks on YHF are some of my very favorites in their entire oeuvre. And again, they're my fave band, so even "least favorite Wilco album" is still in pretty heavy rotation for me.
    So either "Sky Blue Sky" or "Ode to joy".

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I have read Los Lobos' accusation that Simon should have credited them with writing "The Myth of Fingerprints," on which they were the backing band, but it doesn't make sense on several levels to me. Simon gave out co-writing credit on other songs, including the hits, from "Graceland" like a pez dispenser. Why would he do that but not do so for very much a deep album cut if he truly thought it were warranted? I also read the Los Lobos guy claim Simon didn't even know how to pronounce zydeco and had no knowledge of the style. He had been exploring with music from all over the world since Los Lobos were in diapers, had studied musical theory, and it's not even the only song in that style on "Graceland." The Los Lobos guys also suggested that Simon stole the song because he needed a hit. Again, it wasn't a single, and Los Lobos has really had one hit commercial song ever, and it was a cover. The lyrics certainly seem all Paul, and the overall style matches him, too. I like Los Lobos' music. Creating can be an organic process subject to different perspectives, so both sides may sincerely believe their position. I just don't see enough to besmirch the reputation of a brilliant artist.

I heard Tom Petty say he wrote songs he liked but then realized they were unintentionally very similar to an existing song, so he just scrapped them. Maybe, Los Lobos jammed to a basic groove, it floated around in the Simon's subconscious for a while, and then it went into a fully developed song?
    I read that story years ago. I decided to see if I could find anything on the web that would refresh my memory. This article claims that several people share the Los Lobos resentment against Paul. Who knows...

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...icle-1.2822766

The article is from the NY Daily News so take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Are we allowed to say 'oeuvre'? It sounds offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Are we allowed to say 'oeuvre'? It sounds offensive.
    Oevrette?

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Oevrette?
    Is it little and red?

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    So either "Sky Blue Sky" or "Ode to joy".
    So, they are a Beethoven cover band?

Alice Cooper comming to Charleston sc and Spartanburg sc in May for those in the area.i know it's off topic but I wanted to mention it.

Without wading into it, neither the Eagles nor Aerosmith would make my top ten (American) band list. A few others that have been mentioned probably would. I suppose a lot of it comes down to the timing of a given band's best work (hits) and one's age at the time -- an "impressionability" index if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Without wading into it, neither the Eagles nor Aerosmith would make my top ten (American) band list. A few others that have been mentioned probably would. I suppose a lot of it comes down to the timing of a given band's best work (hits) and one's age at the time -- an "impressionability" index if you will.
    Well, if you know who is not on your top 10 list, then tell us who actually IS on your top 10 list. In order, please. Thanks. 😜

Does Pearl Jam make it?

Well, if you know who is not on your top 10 list, then tell us who actually IS on your top 10 list. In order, please. Thanks. ��
    I’ll take a shot, given the time of night….

IIRC, in Father Time’s order….

The Wildwood Boys
    The Hart Valley Drifters
    Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions
    The Warlocks (great pair of shows in ‘89)
    The Grateful Dead
    New Riders of the Purple Sage (original formation)
    Old & In The Way
    Legion of Mary
    Reconstruction
    The Jerry Garcia Band

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’ll take a shot, given the time of night….

IIRC, in Father Time’s order….

The Wildwood Boys
    The Hart Valley Drifters
    Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions
    The Warlocks (great pair of shows in ‘89)
    The Grateful Dead
    New Riders of the Purple Sage (original formation)
    Old & In The Way
    Legion of Mary
    Reconstruction
    The Jerry Garcia Band
    Hmm. If only I could find a common thread here….

Well, if you know who is not on your top 10 list, then tell us who actually IS on your top 10 list. In order, please. Thanks. ��

Does Pearl Jam make it?
    FWIW, here’s my list. Can you tell I lived in LA in the early 1980s?

Los Lobos
    Drive-By Truckers
    Buffalo Springfield
    X
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    The Flying Burrito Brothers
    The Beach Boys
    R.E.M.
    The Plimsouls
    Poco

If you make it all-genres, the Tony Rice Unit gets slotted in at around #4, and the second great Miles Davis Quintet (Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams) will be in there somewhere. If you expand it to include solo artists as well as bands, you have to make room for Rodney Crowell and John Hiatt.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    No VH or The Blasters?

Los Lobos
    Drive-By Truckers
    Buffalo Springfield
    X
    X's Under the Big Black Sun = Eagles + Aerosmith, with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No VH or The Blasters?
    If you’re limited to ten, some tough calls have to be made.

If you’re limited to ten, some tough calls have to be made.
    Understood.

As long as The Blasters were under consideration, we can still be friends.