Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    You should dig in a bit. They were amazing. The Last Waltz is a pretty good place to start. My folks had their stuff, John Prine, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Talking Heads, Allman Brothers, Paul Simon, Grateful Dead, CCR, Jimi Hendrix in rotation quite a bit.

Fair point that The Band are mostly Canadians. I'd forgotten that. They got their start there. They wrote and recorded most of their great stuff in Woodstock, NY at the pink house. They don't sound Canadian to my ear or even like they are from upstate NY. Levon Helm gave a distinctly southern flavor to many of their songs.

Fun topic, but there are roughly a jillion bands I'd pay to see before either The Eagles or Aerosmith.

I met Steve Tyler a few years ago at the final four in Arizona. Really sweet, nice guy.
    I tried and I just don't get it. Willing to agree it's me. I have a passion for Bluegrass and classic Country.

I just can't name a band for all-time you have credence clearwater revival .Billy Joel has played severel different kinds of rock and pop.
    Aerosmith or the Eagles.
    If I'm at the beach kicking back having a few drinks I'd go with the Eagles.
    Zipping down the I areo Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I tried and I just don't get it. Willing to agree it's me. I have a passion for Bluegrass and classic Country.
    I'm guessing Tyler Childers may be a more preferable Tyler for you lol

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    And the Moms?
    They're California Dreaming...

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I'm guessing Tyler Childers may be a more preferable Tyler for you lol
    Correct! Saw him on a lark in Toronto while traveling for work.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    You should dig in a bit. They were amazing. The Last Waltz is a pretty good place to start. My folks had their stuff, John Prine, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Talking Heads, Allman Brothers, Paul Simon, Grateful Dead, CCR, Jimi Hendrix in rotation quite a bit.

Fair point that The Band are mostly Canadians. I'd forgotten that. They got their start there. They wrote and recorded most of their great stuff in Woodstock, NY at the pink house. They don't sound Canadian to my ear or even like they are from upstate NY. Levon Helm gave a distinctly southern flavor to many of their songs.

Fun topic, but there are roughly a jillion bands I'd pay to see before either The Eagles or Aerosmith.

I met Steve Tyler a few years ago at the final four in Arizona. Really sweet, nice guy.
    I must be old enough to be your dad, because those are almost all bands/artists that I listened to all the time.

Damn I feel old. I miss the smithereens.
    Really fun band to see.
    One of two concerts in life I really wished I didn't miss. They played near me a few years ago and for some reason I didn't go.
    Now it's too late.

To the original question, for me, Aerosmith > Eagles any day of the week. East coast bias I guess.
    I originally liked the Eagles OK, but got really sick of them when I moved west because they played them all the time on the San Jose classic rock station.
    They also played a bit too much Steve Miller and Eddie Money.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Best American rock band?
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    One of two concerts in life I really wished I didn't miss. They played near me a few years ago and for some reason I didn't go.
    Now it's too late.
    Saw them and the Ramones back to back.
    I'm still paying for it .my oldest was a baby had a fever wife couldn't go.she has never forgiven me for going lol.
    It was worth every bit of the reminder she gives me from time to time.
    It burns her that I just smile.it was awesome.

Saw them and the Ramones back to back.
    I'm still paying for it .my oldest was a baby had a fever wife couldn't go.she has never forgiven me for going lol.
    It was worth every bit of the reminder she gives me from time to time.
    It burns her that I just smile.it was awesome.
    The Ramones were from my section of Queens, New York City - Forest Hills. There is a street named for them right in front of Forest Hills High School.

63CB2EE0-916A-4B73-B5B9-A1F3C377510C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    The Ramones were from my section of Queens, New York City - Forest Hills. There is a street named for them right in front of Forest Hills High School.

Fun fun, oh baby

for me, it's bruce...Township Auditorium, July 31st 1978 for the Darkness On The Edge Of Town Tour. It changed my life. I left that show plotting my escape from corporate america and chased down a career in the music biz....

that being said, it's hard to argue about apples (aerosmith) and oranges (eagles)
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

How often does that sign disappear lol.
    That's a valuable item.
    Those guys played hard take 5 play other half and go. No bs all music .
    Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Better?

Best American rock band?
    Not a fan of Aerosmith or the Eagles. The Eagles seem vanilla and boring to me. Aerosmith in their 80/90s comeback was very poppy, and all their songs sounded the same to me. That said, my brother very early in his music recording career was assistant engineer on "Love in an Elevator," so that would give Aerosmith the edge in the head-to-head. He also was assistant engineer on Talking Head's "Sax and Violins," and they would be well ahead of either for me.

For American artists, Chuck Berry is the Father of Rock n/ Roll in my book. Simon with or without Garfunkel is probably my American favorite, and Jason Isbell and St. Vincent are my favorite current American artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Not a fan of Aerosmith or the Eagles. The Eagles seem vanilla and boring to me. Aerosmith in their 80/90s comeback was very poppy, and all their songs sounded the same to me. That said, my brother very early in his music recording career was assistant engineer on "Love in an Elevator," so that would give Aerosmith the edge in the head-to-head. He also was assistant engineer on Talking Head's "Sax and Violins," and they would be well ahead of either for me.

For American artists, Chuck Berry is the Father of Rock n/ Roll in my book. Simon with or without Garfunkel is probably my American favorite, and Jason Isbell and St. Vincent are my favorite current American artists.
    Simon and Garfunkel also Forest Hills kids. (As was Leslie West of Mountain)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    If we wanted to be picky, only Hendrix was American, the "Experience" were two Brits.

Eagles v Aerosmith plus

To the original question: The Eagles had Gram Parsons, at least for a little while, which puts them ahead, although outside of Sweetheart of the Rodeo, their music was just above average pop.

On the other hand Tom Hamilton's (bass player for Aerosmith) son went to the same high school as my son. There were monthly parent meetings. He was generally quiet and unassuming, but often made thoughtful comments. A normal person in my estimation. That's a plus.

On the other other hand, Don Henley did remarkable things for Walden Woods, not just saving it from adjacent development, but funding a library and rehabbing a large mansion to serve as a headquarters and environmental education center. My son volunteered at the library back in high school and it was a great experience for him.

However, the best "American" band back then was The Band. Yes, three were Canadian, but they played real American roots music, due mostly to the person who put them together, Ronnie Hawkins, and to Levon Helm (his actual name was "Lavon"), both from Arkansas. I highly recommend Helm's memoir, This Wheel's on Fire. Good read and lots of interesting factoids, including that Hawkins was devastated when Arkansas lost to Duke in the Cotton Bowl. Anyway, The Band's first two albums are some of the best music ever recorded. After that, less so. The basement tapes with Dylan are worthwhile for the enthusiast.

Now I'll segue into the real American musical genius and The Philosophy of Modern Song, Dylan's sequel to volume 1 of his memoir. Was this year's Christmas present. A mixed bag. Dylan takes about 50 or so songs from the last 100 years and riffs on them. Some of the riffs are interesting and even entertaining, especially when it is a song you know (most are obscure). Most of the riffs however, are just free association without enough context to understand where he is heading. It's sort of like his concerts of the last 30 years, a lot of sound with only an occasional recognizable song. And I am a big Dylan fan, but mostly his 60s stuff. The graphics and illustrations in the book are well chosen and just might be worth the effort of wading though the text. I'll leave that to you.

So, Eagles v Aerosmith? Nah... Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    If we wanted to be picky, only Hendrix was American, the "Experience" were two Brits.

So, Eagles v Aerosmith? Nah... Dylan.
    IMO, Hendrix was the GOAT guitarist and Dylan was the GOAT songwriters.

If all band members must be Americans, then my vote for GOAT American bands is Dylan & The Grateful Dead (‘87).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_...Dead_1987_Tour

Simon and Garfunkel also Forest Hills kids. (As was Leslie West of Mountain)
    Leslie West was not the best guitarist I've ever heard, but he was most certainly the loudest. He played at Duke at the end of a long multi group concert, I left during his set, walked back to my distant dorm and it still sounded like he was playing right down the hall.