BTW, are you in some faraway land on the other side of the planet? 🌎
    IMG_2636.jpg

Yes, Tasmania.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'll put it in a PM.
    I was hoping for ‘Sid’!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yes, Tasmania.
    Have you visited the MONA museum yet? Please share your thoughts once you have visited (in whatever thread you deem appropriate).

With respect to this thread, we spent two weeks road tripping around Tasmania last November and tried to listen almost exclusively to Australian music. Among the many famous and not-so-famous-to-us musicians, there was a noticeable lack of Tasmanians. We did, however, discover the musical "greatness" of Slim Dusty, who was apparently a bit like the Australian version of Johnny Cash.

Slim Dusty wasn't Tasmanian, but his tunes seemed fitting for driving around the state and essentially became the soundtrack of our trip.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Have you visited the MONA museum yet? Please share your thoughts once you have visited (in whatever thread you deem appropriate).

With respect to this thread, we spent two weeks road tripping around Tasmania last November and tried to listen almost exclusively to Australian music. Among the many famous and not-so-famous-to-us musicians, there was a noticeable lack of Tasmanians. We did, however, discover the musical "greatness" of Slim Dusty, who was apparently a bit like the Australian version of Johnny Cash.

Slim Dusty wasn't Tasmanian, but his tunes seemed fitting for driving around the state and essentially became the soundtrack of our trip.
    MONA is hard to describe. Much more of an experience and a sensory slap than a traditional museum. Certainly one of the most inexplicable things with which I have interacted.

I take it you’ve been there as well — if you have a better way to describe it I’d love to hear it.

Fascinating, inexplicable, bizarre, compelling, head-scratching. A must-see.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Tassie, I have found it fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    My bride was extremely kind to agree to my three favorite songwriters (Dylan, Hunter, and Lennon) for names.
    I am assuming you were referring to Robert Hunter and not Ian Hunter. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I am assuming you were referring to Robert Hunter and not Ian Hunter. Correct?
    Yes, correct, my friend. I consider Robert Hunter one of the all-time greatest songwriters. Bob Dylan and John Lennon round out my top three.

Just got back last night. Have an Austin trip report for you. More to follow, when time avails.

Yes, correct, my friend. I consider Robert Hunter one of the all-time greatest songwriters. Bob Dylan and John Lennon round out my top three.

Just got back last night. Have an Austin trip report for you. More to follow, when time avails.
    Excellent! Looking forward to hearing all about it! ✌️

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing all about it! ✌️
    The short version is you’re our new family hero… much thanks!

Rolled into Austin Wednesday night, checked into our suite, and went to Home Slice about 10:00 pm. Very cool little spot. My wife quickly points out a dude eating, a few feet away, at the bar and says she knows him. About all I could conclude was he is very good looking, thin, and charismatic. My wife appeared determined to remember him. When we got back to our suite, she showed me a pic and it was definitely the same guy (Timothy Olyphant). He was in town for the ATX TV Festival in Austin on Thursday.

We scored two large pies and all of us loved them! Great pizza, at a cool spot, thanks!

My brother arrived, from North Carolina, Thursday morning and we headed to Franklin’s around 12:30 pm. We scored 8 lbs of beef, for the four of us, so we had plenty extra to take back to our mini-kitchen. We got 3 lbs of brisket, 3 lbs of ribs, and 2 lbs of pulled pork. All of us (except my brother, the NC resident, who thinks only pulled pork with sauce is b-que) agreed that it’s the best barbecue we have ever eaten. Much, much thanks!

The short version is you’re our new family hero… much thanks!

Rolled into Austin Wednesday night, checked into our suite, and went to Home Slice about 10:00 pm. Very cool little spot. My wife quickly points out a dude eating, a few feet away, at the bar and says she knows him. About all I could conclude was he is very good looking, thin, and charismatic. My wife appeared determined to remember him. When we got back to our suite, she showed me a pic and it was definitely the same guy (Timothy Olyphant). He was in town for the ATX TV Festival in Austin on Thursday.

We scored two large pies and all of us loved them! Great pizza, at a cool spot, thanks!

My brother arrived, from North Carolina, Thursday morning and we headed to Franklin’s around 12:30 pm. We scored 8 lbs of beef, for the four of us, so we had plenty extra to take back to our mini-kitchen. We got 3 lbs of brisket, 3 lbs of ribs, and 2 lbs of pulled pork. All of us (except my brother, the NC resident, who thinks only pulled pork with sauce is b-que) agreed that it’s the best barbecue we have ever eaten. Much, much thanks!
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the food at Home Slice and Franklin BBQ! Those are two of my favorite haunts. And I hope the Origin Hotel worked out for you.

I’m not surprised you saw Tim Olyohant in Austin; that’s his kind of town. Cool dude for sure. 😎

The most important issue, though, is how were the Billy Strings concerts? Do tell.

How early did you have to line up at Franklin’s? And what day of the week?

Easiest way to deal with crowds at Franklin is to not deal with them. Order online for curbside pickup. You may have to order 3-4 days ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Easiest way to deal with crowds at Franklin is to not deal with them. Order online for curbside pickup. You may have to order 3-4 days ahead.
    Thanks!

Thanks!
    Stiles Switch is a pretty good Plan B if you can’t make Franklin happen. They have two locations: on Lamar just below Airport Blvd., and W. Whitestone just east of Lakeline in Cedar Park. Jalapeño sausage is a menu highlight, and all the sides are excellent (potato salad rivals any you’ll get at any Jewish deli in NY or LA).

Be very careful! Franklin caused me to weigh 200 lbs. for the first time in my life.

The most important issue, though, is how were the Billy Strings concerts? Do tell.
    Billy’s music and scene are perfect for me! In short order, I made many new friends. My GD credits transferred shockingly fast and my 14 year old daughter was given a front row spot, center rail, for the first set Saturday.

Just like the GD, every show is completely different and everyone is chasing the next great show. We were extremely lucky, Friday night was (according to the 25+ show fans) Billy’s best show, so far, in 2023.

Be very careful! Franklin caused me to weigh 200 lbs. for the first time in my life.
    Are you sure it will get me down to 200? I’ll warm up the car while wait on your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Are you sure it will get me down to 200? I’ll warm up the car while wait on your reply.
    Please turn off your car!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    That was very funny. 😊

Rhino has apparently started on a project to reissue the classic Little Feat albums as two-CD and three-album sets. The original albums have been remastered, and the packages include demos, outtakes, and contemporaneous live recordings.

“Sailin’ Shoes” and “Dixie Chicken” are out today. Amazon has the physical media, and Qobuz has 96/24 downloads.

Damn right, I’m in.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Rhino has apparently started on a project to reissue the classic Little Feat albums as two-CD and three-album sets. The original albums have been remastered, and the packages include demos, outtakes, and contemporaneous live recordings.

“Sailin’ Shoes” and “Dixie Chicken” are out today. Amazon has the physical media, and Qobuz has 96/24 downloads.

Damn right, I’m in.
    I'll have to audition those this week.