Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't know how much they regret it. When it came to the criminal prosecution of Jackson for child molestation, they prevented their children from cooperating, from testifying, etc., causing the prosecution necessarily to collapse. Those decisions were undoubtedly purchased, at a high price, by Jackson.
    No doubt, these parents sold their own children. IMO, they should be in prison getting the attention they deserve. Many, if not most, prisoners were abused children and they’ll quickly recognize and address these parents.

I refuse to allow this thread to die! I love talking about music and hearing the suggestions of others. I’ve gotten a lot of great tips on bands and specific albums from this thread, and I’m thankful for that.

Anyway, I was looking through some of the previous posts and noticed that I had neglected to mention Sonic Youth as being among my all-time Top 25 bands. I’ve been listening to them heavily during the past few weeks — 2 or 3 of their albums each day — and I’ve come to realize that they are absolutely among my all-time favorites.

Their particular brand of avant-grade alternative “noise” music is both refreshing and challenging. Sonic Youth is definitely an acquired taste and was never designed to appeal to the masses or to pop radio. And I like that just fine.

Saw Larry Carlton this past Friday. He did a bunch of his own (and Jazz Crusaders) stuff, plus a bunch of Steely Dan.

Hearing Kid Charlemagne was just a joy.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Saw Larry Carlton this past Friday. He did a bunch of his own (and Jazz Crusaders) stuff, plus a bunch of Steely Dan.

Hearing Kid Charlemagne was just a joy.
    Awesome, he is extremely talented and gifted! I suspect I own at least 100 albums he played on. A true musician’s musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I refuse to allow this thread to die! I love talking about music and hearing the suggestions of others. I’ve gotten a lot of great tips on bands and specific albums from this thread, and I’m thankful for that.

Anyway, I was looking through some of the previous posts and noticed that I had neglected to mention Sonic Youth as being among my all-time Top 25 bands. I’ve been listening to them heavily during the past few weeks — 2 or 3 of their albums each day — and I’ve come to realize that they are absolutely among my all-time favorites.

Their particular brand of avant-grade alternative “noise” music is both refreshing and challenging. Sonic Youth is definitely an acquired taste and was never designed to appeal to the masses or to pop radio. And I like that just fine.
    I used to listen to them back in the day. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I used to listen to them back in the day. Good stuff.
    You might consider listening to the entirety of “Goo” or “Dirty” or “Daydream Nation” or “Sister” or “Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star” (love that title!) or really ANY of their albums to refresh your memory on just how damn good Sonic Youth was. Perhaps you’ll get back heavily into them like I’ve done recently.

It’s been heavy doses of Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Joni Mitchell, Rush, Stevie Wonder, and Sonic Youth for me these past couple of months. 😊

I’m flying from Raleigh-Durham to Las Vegas today. I need some album recommendations for the 4hr 40 min direct flight. I should have asked sooner; taking off soon.

Well, at least I’ve got “Two From the Vault” ready to go. Thanks, Wilson!

“Look Sharp!” By Joe Jackson.

“John Barleycorn Must Die” by Traffic.

And if you want the Grateful Dead how they sounded on their last really strong consistent tour, “Without A Net”

I’m flying from Raleigh-Durham to Las Vegas today. I need some album recommendations for the 4hr 40 min direct flight. I should have asked sooner; taking off soon.

If you’re not already familiar, listen to Elton John’s 1970 record “Tumbleweed Connection”. Great and unique record of Americana. Inspired by The Band and the burgeoning country rock scene, it’s a concept album written by 2 Brits who had not yet visited America. I’ve recommended it to numerous folks who weren’t familiar with it and it always gets rave reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Look Sharp!” By Joe Jackson.

“John Barleycorn Must Die” by Traffic.

And if you want the Grateful Dead how they sounded on their last really strong consistent tour, “Without A Net”
    My Dead expertise is nothing compared to OPK and Jeffrey but I will vouch for Without a Net. It is what truly got me into the Dead. The version of Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis is truly moving and incredible and I also love this version of China Cat/Rider.

I randomly started my day today with a Neil Diamond mix with some Peter, Paul and Mary mixed in - two of my dads favorites.

“Copperhead Road” came up on my random shuffle at the gym this morning. I credit DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    If you’re not already familiar, listen to Elton John’s 1970 record “Tumbleweed Connection”. Great and unique record of Americana. Inspired by The Band and the burgeoning country rock scene, it’s a concept album written by 2 Brits who had not yet visited America. I’ve recommended it to numerous folks who weren’t familiar with it and it always gets rave reviews.
    Just arrived in Las Vegas. Staying at the Bellagio. Going to see The Beatles LOVE tonight. I’ve been wanting to see this show for YEARS!

Tumbleweed Connection is one of my favorite albums. So many great songs. “Love Song” is particularly magical. Great recommendation, especially for a desert locale. 😊

Just arrived in Las Vegas. Staying at the Bellagio. Going to see The Beatles LOVE tonight. I’ve been wanting to see this show for YEARS!
    LOVE is awesome… have a great time!

Saw it around 2007 and it’s my all-time favorite Vegas show!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    LOVE is awesome… have a great time!

Saw it around 2007 and it’s my all-time favorite Vegas show!
    We are really looking forward to the ❤️ show, Jeffrey! We’re headed to Cañonita at the Venetian for dinner and then to LOVE.

BTW, I’ve been listening to “Two From the Vault”. Are you familiar with that triple album? I believe it was recorded in 1968. The songs are looong. I’m liking it. 👍

Too late to help you with your flight, but recently I’ve gotten heavily into James McMurtry. “The Horses and the Hounds” was one of the best albums of 2021, but I keep finding more gems as I dig into his earlier work.

Looking forward to seeing him at the Continental Club after his current tour ends. He has a regular Wednesday night residency when he’s off the road (attention Asheville: he’ll be at the Grey Eagle next Thursday).

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Too late to help you with your flight, but recently I’ve gotten heavily into James McMurtry. “The Horses and the Hounds” was one of the best albums of 2021, but I keep finding more gems as I dig into his earlier work.

Looking forward to seeing him at the Continental Club after his current tour ends. He has a regular Wednesday night residency when he’s off the road (attention Asheville: he’ll be at the Grey Eagle next Thursday).
    Wow, that’s a blast from the past. I bought James McMurtry’s first two albums — “Too Long in the Wasteland” and “Candyland” — back when they came out (1989 and 1992), and I liked them a lot. And then I lost track of him. Thanks for the reminder.

I’m downloading “The Horses and the Hounds” as I write this. 😊

I have a good bit of James McMurtry on my playlists. “Levelland” and “Out Here In The Middle” are 2 of my faves although Robert Earle Keen’s cover of the latter with harmony vocals from Shawn Colvin is more pleasing to my ears but missing biting cynicism James is known for. Of course “Choctaw Bingo” and “We Can’t Make it Here” are McMurtry Standards.

https://youtu.be/e30CDZr7ebE

McMurtry was doing live COVID solo concerts from his house for months — fantastic. I know how great of a songwriter he is, but never really appreciated how great and varied his guitar playing was.

His live albums are definitely worth purchasing.

Since you frequent the Continental Club, I assume you’ve seen Jon Dee Graham there over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Since you frequent the Continental Club, I assume you’ve seen Jon Dee Graham there over the years?
    Not yet, but I’ll take the recco on board. Living in the Great Brown North (Cedar Park), late nights in South Austin take some doing.