Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ummm... This defense holds up for some things, but I'm not certain it works for a sexual relationship with someone 16 when Steven Tyler is 25 that goes so far as to have Tyler claim legal guardianship over her.

That's pretty poor behavior in any era.
    I agree with you about Steven Tyler. That was poor behavior on his part, and he’s making it even worse with his nonsensical defense. But I’m also saying that I have read example after example of this kind of thing going on back then with rock stars and celebrities — including Elvis Presley and Jimmy Page, just to name two that come readily to mind — and seemingly no one thought a thing of it. They didn’t even try to hide it; that’s how accepted it was.

I don’t really understand it. But I wasn’t around back then, and am thus unable to put it into the context of those times. But it’s good that there are now laws against this kind of thing occurring today. I just don’t know why it took so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree with you about Steven Tyler. That was poor behavior on his part, and he’s making it even worse with his nonsensical defense. But I’m also saying that I have read example after example of this kind of thing going on back then with rock stars and celebrities — including Elvis Presley and Jimmy Page, just to name two that come readily to mind — and seemingly no one thought a thing of it. They didn’t even try to hide it; that’s how accepted it was.

I don’t really understand it. But I wasn’t around back then, and am thus unable to put it into the context of those times. But it’s good that there are now laws against this kind of thing occurring today. I just don’t know why it took so long.
    Pretty sure there were laws against those things back then too.

My point is - there are some things I will allow for in terms of customs and different norms. But sexual grooming of a minor under the guise of some sort of custody is not something I feel we have moved goalposts on in the last 50 years.

It was pretty much the plot of Almost Famous.

Makes me rethink that take, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Yeah, pretty much exactly the same. 😮

Regardless, I love that movie! Do you remember when they played “Tangerine”, the great Led Zeppelin song from my favorite Zepp album “III”? Good stuff.

I’m going to make it a point to watch that movie again soon; maybe with my 19-year-old son when he comes home for the summer from college in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

I’m shocked it’s been half a century before being legally addressed. Tyler clearly admitted to it, in writing, in 2011. I’m surprised his legal counsel approved the 2011 release.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’m shocked it’s been half a century before being legally addressed. Tyler clearly admitted to it, in writing, in 2011. I’m surprised his legal counsel approved the 2011 release.
    Upon reflection, I’m not surprised by the timing. I think the biggest criminals were the parents who probably sold their little girl for money! This lawsuit was probably filed after both of them had died. Absolutely pathetic parents!

My daughter will be 15 soon. I truly can’t imagine signing away her custody to a 25 year old drug addict!

Upon reflection, I’m not surprised by the timing. I think the biggest criminals were the parents who probably sold their little girl for money! This lawsuit was probably filed after both of them had died. Absolutely pathetic parents!

My daughter will be 15 soon. I truly can’t imagine signing away her custody to a 25 year old drug addict!
    How about the folks that let their kids stay at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch? {smh}

Kind of puts “Janie’s Got a Gun” in a whole new light, doesn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How about the folks that let their kids stay at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch? {smh}
    Yep, those POS also sold their own children! Yet, society has chosen to lock up people for selling pot and not imprison parents for selling their children. Interestingly, prisoners know who are the worst criminals (sellers of pot or kids) and would punish them accordingly. What a long strange trip it’s been!

Kind of puts “Janie’s Got a Gun” in a whole new light, doesn’t it?
    I’m proud to say, I don’t listen to Aerosmith and don’t know the lyrics.

I’m proud to say, I don’t listen to Aerosmith and don’t know the lyrics.
    Well, I’ll be darned, Jeffrey. How in the heck did you ever end up on this thread?

Whatever possessed you that fateful first day, I’m glad you’re here. You’ve added a lot to this thread. 😊

Well, I’ll be darned, Jeffrey. How in the heck did you ever end up on this thread?
    I listen to The Eagles.

I listen to The Eagles.
    I think the Eagles are leading now. Should we have a poll?

Chuck Berry was 32 when “Sweet Little 16” came out.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think the Eagles are leading now. Should we have a poll?

Chuck Berry was 32 when “Sweet Little 16” came out.
    Somewhat irrelevant, but one of my good friends is the official chiropractor for the Eagles whenever they come to Denver. He says they are great guys.

Even more irrelevant, my friend was the official chiropractor for the U.S. beach volleyball teams for the London Olympics. Worked daily on Misty May Trainor who had the back injury.

I've always been a fan of California cool. I wish I was cool enough to hang out with the Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have never understood this craziness — the idea of allowing your child to stay alone at the home of an adult male, especially one who is not a relative. It’s inconceivable to me as a parent.

I guess the allure of their child getting attention from an extremely high-profile celebrity was too much for these particular parents to resist. I don’t know if they thought perhaps they could get money and/or fame out of it or what. Regardless of the reason(s) it was an unconscionable decision — one that they, and the children involved, will almost certainly regret for the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Somewhat irrelevant, but one of my good friends is the official chiropractor for the Eagles whenever they come to Denver. He says they are great guys.

Even more irrelevant, my friend was the official chiropractor for the U.S. beach volleyball teams for the London Olympics. Worked daily on Misty May Trainor who had the back injury.

I've always been a fan of California cool. I wish I was cool enough to hang out with the Eagles.
    About 30 years ago, I went ticketless to see Joe Walsh open for The Doobie Brothers. Played my cards perfectly (very rare!) and ended up backstage. Joe came up to me and we spoke one-on-one. Afterwards, the guy who sold me the pass asked “who was that?” When I told him, he said, “I didn’t know he was that tall!”

About 30 years ago, I went ticketless to see Joe Walsh open for The Doobie Brothers. Played my cards perfectly (very rare!) and ended up backstage. Joe came up to me and we spoke one-on-one. Afterwards, the guy who sold me the pass asked “who was that?” When I told him, he said, “I didn’t know he was that tall!”
    Joe Walsh is 5’9” or 5’10”. At least that’s my assessment from standing near him — but didn’t get a chance to speak with him, unfortunately — quite a few years ago.

By the way, Jeffrey, I’m on my 5th listen right now of One From the Vault. I’m liking it more and more as I get to know it better. Thanks again. 😊

...I’m on my 5th listen of One From the Vault right now. I’m liking it more and more. Thanks again. 😊
    At some point, you should spend some time with Two From the Vault as well...that one's also really good.

I have never understood this craziness — the idea of allowing your child to stay alone at the home of an adult male, especially one who is not a relative. It’s inconceivable to me as a parent.

I guess the allure of their child getting attention from an extremely high-profile celebrity was too much for these particular parents to resist. I don’t know if they thought perhaps they could get money and/or fame out of it or what. Regardless of the reason(s) it was an unconscionable decision — one that they, and the children involved, will almost certainly regret for the rest of their lives.
    I don't know how much they regret it. When it came to the criminal prosecution of Jackson for child molestation, they prevented their children from cooperating, from testifying, etc., causing the prosecution necessarily to collapse. Those decisions were undoubtedly purchased, at a high price, by Jackson.

Joe Walsh is 5’9” or 5’10”. At least that’s my assessment from standing near him — but didn’t get a chance to speak with him, unfortunately — quite a few years ago.

By the way, Jeffrey, I’m on my 5th listen right now of One From the Vault. I’m liking it more and more as I get to know it better. Thanks again. 😊
    I’m 5’11” and, IIRC, thirty years later, Joe appeared similar height. I don’t recall but I’m guessing his shoes/boots might have had heals. I think the optical illusion was these guys were talking with Joe Vitale, for ~ 10 minutes, before Joe Walsh walked up to me. Regardless, how do you not recognize Joe Walsh?

I will say Joe Vitale is extremely kind, considerate, and tolerant! The reason I walked away from their discussion, and was standing alone, was because the guy who sold me the pass was trying to get Joe Vitale to shop his audition tape (a cassette).

I strongly agree…. Blues for Allah is played exceptionally well on One from the Vault. I’m very happy it’s bringing you similar joy.