Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Talking Heads were just mentioned, which made me think of Lou Reed. Both could be in my top 10. Never got the chance to see either play live.
    Lou was very good live. Great songwriter and performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Lou was very good live. Great songwriter and performer.
    For sure: the Velvet's double live album from Texas in 1969 has been a favorite for many years.

I have nothing of value to add, but whenever this thread title pops back up I think: who is the best Duke basketball player of all time - Greg Paulus or Casey Sanders?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I have nothing of value to add, but whenever this thread title pops back up I think: who is the best Duke basketball player of all time - Greg Paulus or Casey Sanders?
    Perhaps it would have been appropriate to end your post after the word “add”. 😉

Talking Heads were just mentioned, which made me think of Lou Reed. Both could be in my top 10. Never got the chance to see either play live.
    You see, that’s what I was talking about: omission by default!

I’ve got the nagging feeling that I may not be using “default” correctly in this instance, but I think you get my point.

For sure: the Velvet's double live album from Texas in 1969 has been a favorite for many years.
    You might want to try “Blue with Lou” by Nils Lofgren & Lou. I’m not sure all Lou fans know about the release.

Apples to oranges. Sanders was long and fast but Paulus was steady and true. Both were magic.

If political topics were allowed on this site, we could start a thread discussing the best US Presidents and title it - Martin Van Buren vs Calvin Coolidge.

Van Buren had some mighty impressive muttonchops and inspired a fictional street gang on Seinfeld, but I'd have to give the edge to Coolidge because he had a pet hippo!

As for content related to the title of this thread, all I can really add is that my wife once sold a pair of ski boots to Steven Tyler. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he bought a pair of women's boots for himself because they were more flamboyant than any of the men's styles in the store.

As far as I know, my wife never sold cocaine to Joe Walsh.

Olympic Fan castigated me for a joke favoring Woodrow Wilson, and the discussion got the thread locked. Tread lightly!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Olympic Fan castigated me for a joke favoring Woodrow Wilson, and the discussion got the thread locked. Tread lightly!
    I approve

this is pretty close...

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    this is pretty close...
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Aerosmith is better than the Eagles by a country mile.
    And Wilco is the best American rock band.
    That is all.
    I listened to Wilco “Being There” for the very first time this evening while running in the woods, and after finishing it I had the feeling that it was going to become a favorite album.

I’m almost through my second listen of it now, and it’s even better than I had thought. Wow. 😮

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I listened to Wilco “Being There” for the very first time this evening while running in the woods, and after finishing it I had the feeling that it was going to become a favorite album.

I’m almost through my second listen of it now, and it’s even better than I had thought. Wow. 😮
    It is very good, though can't say I've experienced it while exercising.

It's a masterpiece, for sure. I have fond memories of that album all the way back to my undergrad years, and I still come back to it regularly 20 years later.
    Just wait until you get to 'Summerteeth,' 'A Ghost is Born,' and 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.'
    That four-album stretch is by wide acclaim their magnum opus, and I do truly believe they're the great American rock band of at least the last 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's a masterpiece, for sure. I have fond memories of that album all the way back to my undergrad years, and I still come back to it regularly 20 years later.
    Just wait until you get to 'Summerteeth,' 'A Ghost is Born,' and 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.'
    That four-album stretch is by wide acclaim their magnum opus, and I do truly believe they're the great American rock band of at least the last 40 years.
    Jeff Tweedy of Wilco fame has a new album out with Rodney Crowell, one of my favorite Americana singer/songwriters. I haven't heard it yet but suspect it will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Jeff Tweedy of Wilco fame has a new album out with Rodney Crowell, one of my favorite Americana singer/songwriters. I haven't heard it yet but suspect it will be good.
    Yep.
    TAKE MY MONEY

I highly recommend I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, a documentary about the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Crazy story, I won’t ruin any of it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I highly recommend I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, a documentary about the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Crazy story, I won’t ruin any of it for you.
    Thanks for the recommendation; I didn’t know about it. I’ll have to check it out on Monday evening, as I’m leaving for New Orleans for a medical conference tomorrow.

I haven’t been to New Orleans since 1981 when I was just a kid visiting with my family. I’m not familiar with their food scene — other than hearing that it’s outstanding. I’d like to find time to do a walking tour of some sort, if possible.

Looking forward to watching that Wilco doc. 👍

Thanks for the recommendation; I didn’t know about it. I’ll have to check it out on Monday evening, as I’m leaving for New Orleans for a medical conference tomorrow.

I haven’t been to New Orleans since 1981 when I was just a kid visiting with my family. I’m not familiar with their food scene — other than hearing that it’s outstanding. I’d like to find time to do a walking tour of some sort, if possible.

Looking forward to watching that Wilco doc. 👍
    Travel safe!

I’m a fan of Mother’s but there are plenty of less famous places with probably better food (zig ain’t fine dining — just good). https://www.mothersrestaurant.net/