Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    I have not listened to it for a while but I really liked his album with Emmy Lou Harris, All The Roadrunning

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Me too. Forget about covers of it. There's no cover that comes close to evoking the feeling that Knopfler does with his guitar sound, the intricacy of his playing, and his voice.
    I agree 100%, although the Indigo Girls cover is quite good. But you cannot improve upon perfection.

In my opinion, the only cover of a truly great song that was clearly an upgrade over the original was Jeff Buckley’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree 100%, although the Indigo Girls cover is quite good. But you cannot improve upon perfection.

In my opinion, the only cover of a truly great song that was clearly an upgrade over the original was Jeff Buckley’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”.
    When Dylan heard Hendrix’s version All Along the Watchtower, he reportedly turned to someone and said “that’s what I meant.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When Dylan heard Hendrix’s version All Along the Watchtower, he reportedly turned to someone and said “that’s what I meant.”
    I love Dylan’s original version of “All Along the Watchtower”. But yeah, Hendrix’s cover is pretty great. I grew up on that song. It was consistently played on the radio for YEARS after its release.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was just about to post this cover! I have the Indigo Girls in a "Chill Women" mix on Spotify and this song came up recently. I had to listen a few times, really a great version.
    It’s on a Great Indigo Girls record but it’s really just Amy Ray. I like the simplicity and how it’s a little more visceral and raw. It’s not better than the original imo but it’s a different and worthy take. Amy is the lesser guitarist of the two but a first rate songwriter. I think it’s a great homage to Mark. I’m not aware of any other covers that she has recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    At Fretboard Summit last summer, Collings had a matched set of Julian Lage signature guitars, the acoustic OM1 JL and the electric 470 JL, in matching sunburst finishes. IIRC, they were asking $14k for the pair. It was soooooo tempting, but I already have a standard OM1 so I passed.

“View with a Room” is my favorite album of 2022. The interplay between Julian and Bill Frisell is just astonishing, and the rhythm section (Jorge Roeder on bass and Dave King on drums) is spot-on.
    I love the sound Collings guitars. Kind of jangly and bright like Lyle Lovett. I used to dream of traveling to Austen to tour the shop and pick me one up but the price is excessive for my skill level. Also you can buy Martins, Taylors and Gibsons, thought to be of equal quality, for quite a bit less. But if I could have whatever I wanted, it would be a Collings.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I love the sound Collings guitars. Kind of jangly and bright like Lyle Lovett. I used to dream of traveling to Austen to tour the shop and pick me one up but the price is excessive for my skill level. Also you can buy Martins, Taylors and Gibsons, thought to be of equal quality, for quite a bit less. But if I could have whatever I wanted, it would be a Collings.
    When we were in Austin last year for spring break my son bought a Martin from South Austin Music. Well, actually, I bought it, but he has agreed to pay me back when he’s rich and famous. You should hear the sound that guitar produces. Wow. 😮

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Amazing, if I wasn’t a Dead Head, then Floyd would definitely complete my top 5!

“American Beauty” and “Workingman’s Dead” are the best sounding GD albums. My favorite GD album is “Blues for Allah”. Please buy it, if you don’t already own it.
    Hey, Jeffrey, I’m on a plane at Newark Airport about to go to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, and I’m listening to Grateful Dead “Terrapin Station”. And guess what? It’s damn good!

I’ve got Van Morrison “Astral Weeks” cued up next!

Hey, Jeffrey, I’m on a plane at Newark Airport about to go to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, and I’m listening to Grateful Dead “Terrapin Station”. And guess what? It’s damn good!

I’ve got Van Morrison “Astral Weeks” cued up next!
    Hi Steven,

Strongly agree, Terrapin Station is one of my favorite GD songs and it’s a solid album.

Love your cue. IMO, Van Morrison’s first 5 LPs are as good as anyone’s. Led Zeppelin’s and Bruce Springsteen’s first 5 LPs are also incredibly strong.

I’ve never owned a Martin. When I was learning to play, they were too expensive, so I went with a Guild D-35 that I had for 48 years. Now that I’m playing again post-retirement, I can afford Collings and Santa Cruz (my Santa Cruz Vintage Artist is the best-sounding guitar I’ve ever owned, but the neck doesn’t fit my hand well so I mostly play the Collings OM1). I might go for a 1950s 000-18 if I could find one that didn’t need a neck reset and fret job.

the price is excessive for my skill level.
    Ever played a Waterloo, the “off-brand” Collings? Pretty sweet, and the prices are close to Martin/Taylor territory (if you can find one—Waterloo production was sacrificed to keep Collings instruments coming during the worst of the pandemic).

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I have not listened to it for a while but I really liked his album with Emmy Lou Harris, All The Roadrunning
    Outstanding album.

Well, if you know who is not on your top 10 list, then tell us who actually IS on your top 10 list. In order, please. Thanks. 😜

Does Pearl Jam make it?
    Coupla beers in after the Lvl win and rediscovered this thread. I limited my picks to American bands I've seen play, in no particular order (expect alphabetic). Key criterion was: if this band came on the radio I would *not* change the station. Definitely skews towards longevity...

Allman Brothers
    Bonnie Raitt
    Bruce Springsteen
    Grateful Dead
    Little Feat
    REM
    The Shins
    Steely Dan
    Tom Petty
    Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Wilco (a three-fer!)

Pearl Jam? Not even close. Pavement was up there. Was just listening to Range Life...

Immediate regrets about excluding Motown, soul, and jazz...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I limited my picks to American bands I've seen play.
    Interesting that you limited your options to American bands you’ve seen perform live. Either you’ve gone to a helluva lot of concerts or that leaves a great number of really good bands off your list by default.

Bruce Springsteen (though I consider him a solo artist), Grateful Dead, and Steely Dan would all make my Top 20 list as of today. And REM and Tom Petty (again, a solo artist imo) probably would as well. I really like The Allman Brothers Band, but I need to listen to more of their albums. With them I mostly only know songs I’ve heard on the radio.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your list.

Interesting that you limited your options to American bands you’ve seen perform live.
    The OP asked for best American Rock bands, so guessing that’s the limitation. Second good drifting thread kicked off by DukeTaylor (is DMB the REM of today or something like that).

My favorite rock bands are driven by having a decent story to tell, or at least one I want to hear. So while I like Beastie Boys and others, they were catchy tunes to me.

Bruce Springsteen and the E-street band. First four albums close to the heart. He captured a time and place.

Lynyrd Skynyrd. Turn it Up. Add Allman Brothers, as the bands are linked by tragic losses too early in their careers.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Consistent quality, incredibly minimalistic sounds. Find a song you think is overdone.

Talking Heads. They sounded like nobody else. You needed to work a bit to get their sound, and then you were hooked.

Steely Dan. Ok, they had like four topics for their lyrics (prostitution, drugs, cheating, basic debauchery). But man, they could synth jazz into rock, add some Caribbean melodies, and just be cool.

R.E.M. snappy, poppy, intelligent music that kept getting better (for a long time). I still love So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry).

Blink-182. Just kidding.

Dave Matthews Band. Musically astounding, love them live. Still the new REM.

Lots of non-rock as well, but that’s enough for now.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Bruce Springsteen and the E-street band. First four albums close to the heart. He captured a time and place.
    Bruce owned the space! When I was in my early teens (the 70’s), and visited my mother in Jersey, I took guitar lessons. All my instructor wanted to play and teach me was Springsteen. All I wanted to learn was The Grateful Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Ever played a Waterloo, the “off-brand” Collings? Pretty sweet, and the prices are close to Martin/Taylor territory (if you can find one—Waterloo production was sacrificed to keep Collings instruments coming during the worst of the pandemic).
    No I didn’t know about their Waterloo brand. The afore mentioned Collings om1 would have been my dream guitar but I’m not getting one. I’ve been playing guitar for almost 40-years but, sadly, I don’t have a real gift for it. My main guitar is a 1971 Giannini Craviola. Giannini was an Italian guitar maker with a factory in Brazil. Mine is a steel string version made from rosewood exactly like Jimmy Page played on Tangerine. I’ve spent a good bit on repairing the top and bridge but it sounds great and feels great in my hands. I also have a Blueridge guitar I like to play. My heroes tend to like playing Gibsons so I’d love to have a Hummingbird one day but it would be like throwing pearls to the swine for me to start collecting classic guitars.

The afore mentioned Collings om1 would have been my dream guitar but I’m not getting one. I’ve been playing guitar for almost 40-years but, sadly, I don’t have a real gift for it.
    So what! Treat yourself to your dream guitar and leave your heirs a collectors item. You deserve it and life is short!

Interesting that you limited your options to American bands you’ve seen perform live. Either you’ve gone to a helluva lot of concerts or that leaves a great number of really good bands off your list by default.

Bruce Springsteen (though I consider him a solo artist), Grateful Dead, and Steely Dan would all make my Top 20 list as of today. And REM and Tom Petty (again, a solo artist imo) probably would as well. I really like The Allman Brothers Band, but I need to listen to more of their albums. With them I mostly only know songs I’ve heard on the radio.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your list.
    Talking Heads were just mentioned, which made me think of Lou Reed. Both could be in my top 10. Never got the chance to see either play live.