Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Does your son and money go to Harvard?

Are “The Pizza Tapes” your cup of tea?
    My son goes to Berklee. He’s a musician. He played at SXSW last year when he was 18, which gave me another excuse to visit Austin! It was a great experience for him, particularly being so young.

And, yes, The Pizza Tapes is absolutely my cup of tea. I got the David Grisman and Jerry Garcia album “Not for Kids Only” years ago after being at a Duke Med party where one of the med students — Katy, a really sweet girl from Minnesota — had recommended it. I used to play it for my kids (and for me!) all the time. Jerry Garcia has such a soothing, gentle voice and vocal style. Almost vulnerable. I love it. And he was a brilliant and unique guitarist.

Thanks again for the recommendation, and keep ‘em coming! 😊

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I was unfamiliar with the Pizza Tapes, but Ripple may be my favorite Dead studio recording so I gave the Pizza Tapes a listen this morning. Really good stuff overall...What's the story behind the recording? Based on the banter, it seems that all three guys just got together in a studio and played the songs "live" (as opposed to the typical studio process where each player records multiple separate tracks which is later mixed together)...
    That's pretty much exactly what happened, and then an opportunistic pizza guy, who recognized (at least one of) the guys jamming, like, literally, in one of their living rooms, stole the original masters and they had to be tracked down before being cleaned up and issued as a proper commercial recording. Hence the album's title.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    My son goes to Berklee. He’s a musician. He played at SXSW last year when he was 18, which gave me another excuse to visit Austin! It was a great experience for him, particularly being so young.
    Impressive. Your son must be very talented. In my opinion, having Berklee in the area is pretty high up the list of benefits* to living in the Boston area. The free Summer concert series put on by Berklee is pretty much our go-to weekend activity whenever we don't have any other plans.

Please let the forum know if you son has any public performances in the Boston area.

*To be fair, there are several no-so-great things about living in Boston also.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If you want to hear Tony at his best as a singer, go all the way back to the 1975 J.D. Crowe album, “The New South” or his album of duets with Ricky Skaggs, 1980’s “Skaggs & Rice.” If you want to hear him at his best as a guitarist, start with the 1980s trilogy of Tony Rice Unit albums, “Mar West,” “Still Inside,” and “Backwaters.”

And of course there is the album that started it all, “The David Grisman Quintet.”
    Wow. Thanks. You are clearly way more knowledgeable than I about Tony.

I got to know him post-death, as an offshoot of other artists' performances - through his work with Alison and on the Lightfoot covers (Gordon is my favorite of all - introduced to me by a Geology grad student when I was a senior - 73-74.)

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what happened, and then an opportunistic pizza guy, who recognized (at least one of) the guys jamming, like, literally, in one of their living rooms, stole the original masters and they had to be tracked down before being cleaned up and issued as a proper commercial recording. Hence the album's title.
    Exactly. Grisman has a home studio, and they were all just jamming one afternoon. It was not released as an album, but it was a bootleg going around for years.

Grisman has tons of tapes playing with Jerry, several of which he has released. “So What” is different versions of jazz jams (many of which are Miles Davis songs). “Shady Grove” and the Garcia/Grisman disc are also from Grisman’s vault.

And, yes, The Pizza Tapes is absolutely my cup of tea. I got the David Grisman and Jerry Garcia album “Not for Kids Only” years ago after being at a Duke Med party where one of the med students — Katy, a really sweet girl from Minnesota — had recommended it. I used to play it for my kids (and for me!) all the time. Jerry Garcia has such a soothing, gentle voice and vocal style. Almost vulnerable. I love it. And he was a brilliant and unique guitarist.

Thanks again for the recommendation, and keep ‘em coming! 😊
    Awesome, Berklee rocks! Many, if not most, of my friends are professional musicians and fine artists. Creative minds are full of joy and inspiration.

I’m very glad you like “The Pizza Tapes”. Garcia could amazingly hear a song once and play it back in his own style. IMO, Garcia was a great improv player.

The second GD studio LP, I recommend, is “Wake of the Flood”. It has a jazz flair enabled by adding a pianist (Keith Godchaux) to the band. It’s a great pairing with “Blues for Allah”. Both are heavily weighted towards Garcia/Hunter tunes after, IMO, Weir’s foolish mistake with Hunter.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 01-23-2023 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Impressive. Your son must be very talented. In my opinion, having Berklee in the area is pretty high up the list of benefits* to living in the Boston area. The free Summer concert series put on by Berklee is pretty much our go-to weekend activity whenever we don't have any other plans.

Please let the forum know if you son has any public performances in the Boston area.

*To be fair, there are several no-so-great things about living in Boston also.
    Thank you for the kind words and thoughts in regard to my son. I’ll get back to you on this tomorrow, as I look forward to discussing things more in-depth.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Awesome, Berklee rocks! Many, if not most, of my friends are professional musicians and fine artists. Creative minds are full of joy and inspiration.

I’m very glad you like “The Pizza Tapes”. Garcia could amazingly hear a song once and play it back in his own style. IMO, Garcia was a great improv player.

The second GD studio LP, I recommend, is “Wake of the Flood”. It has a jazz flair enabled by adding a pianist (Keith Godchaux) to the band. It’s a great pairing with “Blues for Allah”. Both are heavily weighted towards Garcia/Hunter tunes after, IMO, Weir’s foolish mistake with Hunter.
    Yeah, Berklee is really something. The experiences my son has had in just one year there are honestly kind of mind-blowing. I’ll tell you more later.

I’m excited to hear your latest recommendation, “Wake of the Flood”, an album I don’t think I’ve ever heard before. You know, it’s such an awesome thing to have this great wealth of music just sitting there ready for me to discover and get to know. And not just music of the Dead, though they do seem to be occupying more of my recent attention.

By the way, I listened to “Blues for Allah” again today. I’m getting to know it well. 👍

If I had a Time Machine:

70799DDB-E5FE-4CDB-AD09-4EA32AAB941D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Time isn't after us

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Time isn't after us
    Damn I wish I could spork this. Genius!

OMG, Talking Heads! Yet another band I forgot to list among my all-time Top 25.

By chance I heard “No Compassion” on Tesla Favorites earlier today. What a great song from an excellent debut album.

With Dire Straits as the opening band!

With Dire Straits as the opening band!
    Dire Straits is sooo good. They have several of my absolute favorite songs, including Sultans of Swing, Skateaway, Brothers in Arms, and the truly sublime Romeo and Juliet.

First Album is in my desert island cache.

Lions and Wild Wedt End are sublime.

Dire Straits is sooo good. They have several of my absolute favorite songs, including Sultans of Swing, Skateaway, Brothers in Arms, and the truly sublime Romeo and Juliet.
    Totally agree. Skateaway and, in particular, Romeo and Juliet, are masterpieces.

Dire Straits released a “Live at the BBC” disc from an early appearance where they essentially play the first album live in studio with a small audience. Highly recommend.

Dire Straits released a “Live at the BBC” disc from an early appearance where they essentially play the first album live in studio with a small audience. Highly recommend.
    Amazon: 1 in stock

Fidel: Buy Now

Looking forward to listening.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Totally agree. Skateaway and, in particular, Romeo and Juliet, are masterpieces.
    Hell yeah, bro. Romeo and Juliet can literally bring tears to my eyes if I’m in a certain mood and setting. It hits you right where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Both from the “Making Movies” album. The album title is a throwaway line from “Skateaway”.