Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 281 to 287 of 287
  1. #281
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    I have not listened to it for a while but I really liked his album with Emmy Lou Harris, All The Roadrunning

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Me too. Forget about covers of it. There's no cover that comes close to evoking the feeling that Knopfler does with his guitar sound, the intricacy of his playing, and his voice.
    I agree 100%, although the Indigo Girls cover is quite good. But you cannot improve upon perfection.

    In my opinion, the only cover of a truly great song that was clearly an upgrade over the original was Jeff Buckley’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”.

  3. #283
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree 100%, although the Indigo Girls cover is quite good. But you cannot improve upon perfection.

    In my opinion, the only cover of a truly great song that was clearly an upgrade over the original was Jeff Buckley’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”.
    When Dylan heard Hendrix’s version All Along the Watchtower, he reportedly turned to someone and said “that’s what I meant.”
    “Bob says run! Bob says run! Bob says run!”

    {good pick-up after handoff}

    “Bob was right! Bob was right! Bob was right!”

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When Dylan heard Hendrix’s version All Along the Watchtower, he reportedly turned to someone and said “that’s what I meant.”
    I love Dylan’s original version of “All Along the Watchtower”. But yeah, Hendrix’s cover is pretty great. I grew up on that song. It was consistently played on the radio for YEARS after its release.

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was just about to post this cover! I have the Indigo Girls in a "Chill Women" mix on Spotify and this song came up recently. I had to listen a few times, really a great version.
    It’s on a Great Indigo Girls record but it’s really just Amy Ray. I like the simplicity and how it’s a little more visceral and raw. It’s not better than the original imo but it’s a different and worthy take. Amy is the lesser guitarist of the two but a first rate songwriter. I think it’s a great homage to Mark. I’m not aware of any other covers that she has recorded.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    At Fretboard Summit last summer, Collings had a matched set of Julian Lage signature guitars, the acoustic OM1 JL and the electric 470 JL, in matching sunburst finishes. IIRC, they were asking $14k for the pair. It was soooooo tempting, but I already have a standard OM1 so I passed.

    “View with a Room” is my favorite album of 2022. The interplay between Julian and Bill Frisell is just astonishing, and the rhythm section (Jorge Roeder on bass and Dave King on drums) is spot-on.
    I love the sound Collings guitars. Kind of jangly and bright like Lyle Lovett. I used to dream of traveling to Austen to tour the shop and pick me one up but the price is excessive for my skill level. Also you can buy Martins, Taylors and Gibsons, thought to be of equal quality, for quite a bit less. But if I could have whatever I wanted, it would be a Collings.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I love the sound Collings guitars. Kind of jangly and bright like Lyle Lovett. I used to dream of traveling to Austen to tour the shop and pick me one up but the price is excessive for my skill level. Also you can buy Martins, Taylors and Gibsons, thought to be of equal quality, for quite a bit less. But if I could have whatever I wanted, it would be a Collings.
    When we were in Austin last year for spring break my son bought a Martin from South Austin Music. Well, actually, I bought it, but he has agreed to pay me back when he’s rich and famous. You should hear the sound that guitar produces. Wow. 😮

Similar Threads

  1. mike vick to eagles.
    By moonpie23 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 11:23 PM
  2. Hey Legal Eagles, can they do this?
    By Ima Facultiwyfe in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
  3. Eagles finally fly
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 12:52 PM
  4. The Eagles land again!
    By Jarhead in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
  5. go eagles
    By dukie8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •