Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    And Van (to whom I was alluding in my post upthread) is Irish, not British. Good inclusions by Nepos of Elton John and Bowie, though - they're probably the cream of the crop of British solo acts in terms of impact and album sales overall. [Let's not discuss the appears to be desperate for cash in his '70's Elton John, though, please. I'll just pretend he died in 1980 or so].
    He’s from Northern Ireland so he falls under the umbrella. He’s got a knighthood and “Sir” title.

To the list of influential British artists I’ll add Joe Cocker, the other Elvis (Costello) and Cliff Richards.

If we are including more recent performances both Ed Sheeran and Harry Styles are two of the biggest draws. They are up there with The Weekend and Bad Bunny for pop of current mountain.

[QUOTE=Steven43;1581335]Richard Thompson is a damn good guitarist and his albums “I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight” and “Shoot Out the Lights” are on my list of favorite albums. Saw him at the Carolina Theater in Durham in 2017.

Richard Thompson is great and, in addition to being a fine guitarist, he qualifies as a great singer-songwriter in the Dylan/Prine tradition as well. “I Feel so Good I Wanna Break Somebody’s Heart Tonight” is my favorite record. It’s great from start to finish. Vincent Black Lightning is the great and oft covered story-teller tune, “Don’t Sit on my Jimmy Shands” shows his wicked humor but “Keep Your Distance” turns some great phrases and is my all time RT favorite (Buddy and Julie Miller also do a fine cover).

https://youtu.be/5yw2yKNLEPc
    https://youtu.be/6FH7Kj_V6-c
    https://youtu.be/62p4S7w0GHk

It's a desperate game we play,
    Throw our souls, our lives, away
    Wounds that can't be mended
    And debts that can't be paid
    Oh I played and I got stung
    Now I'm biting back my tongue
    I'm sweeping out
    The footprints where I strayed

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    He’s from Northern Ireland so he falls under the umbrella. He’s got a knighthood and “Sir” title.

To the list of influential British artists I’ll add Joe Cocker, the other Elvis (Costello) and Cliff Richards.

If we are including more recent performances both Ed Sheeran and Harry Styles are two of the biggest draws. They are up there with The Weekend and Bad Bunny for pop of current mountain.
    David Gray is a great Irish Songwriter. Favorite tune is 9 minutes long with an Omage to Van Morrison at the end

https://youtu.be/NSXQWj0HEBE

Joe Jackson is criminally underrated. Look Sharp! is a perfect album end to end.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Joe Jackson is criminally underrated. Look Sharp! is a perfect album end to end.
    You're steppin' out on a limb with that opinion (one of my favorite songs of all time).

Apologize if they were already mentioned but great Brits also include Phil Collins and Sting, who were great both in bands and solo.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You're steppin' out on a limb with that opinion (one of my favorite songs of all time).

Apologize if they were already mentioned but great Brits also include Phil Collins and Sting, who were great both in bands and solo.
    Collins is apparently in extremely bad health.

Are you really going out with...that opinion?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Are you really going out with...that opinion?
    If looks could kill . . . .

A great example of a song I thought was palp until I really listened to the lyrics.

The album is beautifully produced and blended, the songs are great. Stepping Out likewise is incredibly well-crafted as an album.

I dare you not to like this.

I dare you.

Collins is apparently in extremely bad health.
    Yeah, it’s very sad. He barely made it through their tour last year. He would only do it if his his son could take his place on drums. He can’t hold a stick anymore. Saw them at PNC in the fall of 2021. He looked extremely fragile and had to sit through the whole show. Credit to all the band members, they played for just over two hours. Strangely, the next show I saw at PNC also had the lead vocalist (Zack de la Rocha) seated the whole time also because of a tour injury.

Yeah, it’s very sad. He barely made it through their tour last year. He would only do it if his his son could take his place on drums. He can’t hold a stick anymore. Saw them at PNC in the fall of 2021. He looked extremely fragile and had to sit through the whole show. Credit to all the band members, they played for just over two hours. Strangely, the next show I saw at PNC also had the lead vocalist (Zack de la Rocha) seated the whole time also because of a tour injury.
    Reminds me of elder blues musicians I used to see that had to do that. (Johnny Lee Hooker and B.B. King come to mind). But damn, they were still giving their all and I am sure that Collins did as well.

Collins-related, Peter Gabriel is launching a U.S. tour soon I believe.

Semantics argument, I guess, but being a UK citizen to me isn't quite the same as being British. That to my mind means English, Welsh or Scottish only. It's weird over there with the whole constituent countries vs. Great Britain vs. British Isles thing and NI's caught in the middle, but I consider Northern Irish to mean Irish. I'd classify Rory McIlroy as Irish, as well, then. Being knighted might complicate things - is one generally considered to have become English if they're given honoraria by English royalty?

I don't know. Who cares, I guess. Sorry to take away from everyone's discussion of Joe Jackson, et. al.!

Semantics argument, I guess, but being a UK citizen to me isn't quite the same as being British. That to my mind means English, Welsh or Scottish only. It's weird over there with the whole constituent countries vs. Great Britain vs. British Isles thing and NI's caught in the middle, but I consider Northern Irish to mean Irish. I'd classify Rory McIlroy as Irish, as well, then. Being knighted might complicate things - is one generally considered to have become English if they're given honoraria by English royalty?

I don't know. Who cares, I guess. Sorry to take away from everyone's discussion of Joe Jackson, et. al.!
    You’ve basically described the puzzle of Brexit — how to make Northern Ireland both part of the UK and part of the EU when many see that as a metaphysical impossibility.

Schrödinger‘s Nation — it is, and is not, part of the Common Market.

English, Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish (the UK) are all British. That’s the literal definition (plus a few scattered territories) Van considers himself British and then Irish. So does Rory but he also has Irish citizenship as he is Irish Catholic. You don’t become “English” if you get a royal honor but only Brits get the “Sir” or “Dame.”

To to get back on topic I’ll add my parent’s favorite: Tom Jones (from Wales )

English, Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish (the UK) are all British.
    Interesting, I always understood that “Britain” was the island comprised of England, Wales and Scotland. I assumed that was why the full formal name of the UK is “ The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.”

Oh — and lots of people love Tom Jones. It’s Not Unusual . . . .

Interesting, I always understood that “Britain” was the island comprised of England, Wales and Scotland. I assumed that was why the full formal name of the UK is “ The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.”

Oh — and lots of people love Tom Jones. It’s Not Unusual . . . .
    I believe Arthur was King of all the Britons.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    How do you know he is a king?

(Ah, never mind)

Thread has wandered a bit. Didn't scroll back all the way. But when Joe Jackson was mentioned I had to throw Graham Parker's hat into the ring...

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I didn't vote for him!

Come see the oppression inherent in the system!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I didn't vote for him!

Come see the oppression inherent in the system!
    Singularly brilliant. Just genius