Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Okay guys (and gals), I resolved to listen to the Grateful Dead’s legendary live album “Cornell 5/8/77” for the very first time today (it’s 2 hours 42 minutes!), and let me tell you……….it’s DAMN GOOD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Okay guys (and gals), I resolved to listen to the Grateful Dead’s legendary live album “Cornell 5/8/77” for the very first time today (it’s 2 hours 42 minutes!), and let me tell you……….it’s DAMN GOOD!!
    “Take a step back . . . .”

That’s an understatement!

Steven, since you really like “Blues for Allah”, I recommend you also listen to this live show release….

https://www.dead.net/show/august-13-1975

Always make sure you crank the bass a little extra for that album...it's quite possibly Phil's finest moment. The slide bass on 'Scarlet Begonias,' for example, is just exquisite.
    Excellent choice!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Always make sure you crank the bass a little extra for that album...it's quite possibly Phil's finest moment. The slide bass on 'Scarlet Begonias,' for example, is just exquisite.
    Excellent choice!
    As a bassist, I agree, but I also think that most music is improved by cranking the bass. I may or may not be somewhat biased. 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Steven, since you really like “Blues for Allah”, I recommend you also listen to this live show release….

https://www.dead.net/show/august-13-1975
    Thank you for the additional recommendation, Jeffrey. I just finished listening to “One From the Vault” and really enjoyed hearing live versions of all seven songs from “Blues for Allah”. I’m definitely going to add this one to my current playlist of albums. Looking forward to hearing it again soon. 😊

Tony Rice

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    FWIW, here’s my list. Can you tell I lived in LA in the early 1980s?

Los Lobos
    Drive-By Truckers
    Buffalo Springfield
    X
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    The Flying Burrito Brothers
    The Beach Boys
    R.E.M.
    The Plimsouls
    Poco

If you make it all-genres, the Tony Rice Unit gets slotted in at around #4, and the second great Miles Davis Quintet (Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams) will be in there somewhere. If you expand it to include solo artists as well as bands, you have to make room for Rodney Crowell and John Hiatt.
    Shout out the Tony Rice and Mar West is a must for the genre

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Shout out the Tony Rice and Mar West is a must for the genre
    I feel like I’ve been left out of the game. I have no idea who Tony Rice and Mar West are.

I feel like I’ve been left out of the game. I have no idea who Tony Rice and Mar West are.
    Tony Rice is one of the great bluegrass session musicians (primarily guitar) of all time.
    Given how much of a liking you've taken to Dead music recently, his work with Jerry Garcia and David Grisman (another bluegrass virtuoso) is really worth a listen, especially The Pizza Tapes and the eponymous Jerry Garcia/David Grisman.

Tony Rice is one of the great bluegrass session musicians (primarily guitar) of all time.
    Given how much of a liking you've taken to Dead music recently, his work with Jerry Garcia and David Grisman (another bluegrass virtuoso) is really worth a listen, especially The Pizza Tapes and the eponymous Jerry Garcia/David Grisman.
    Ahh, yes, the Pizza Tapes. I actually have listened to that album several times (on the recommendation of some DBR stalwarts), and like it quite a lot.

Clearly my memory is not stellar 😞, as I had forgotten Tony Rice was a part of that.

He also did an album of Gordon Lightfoot (my favorite) songs. His cover of Shadows is beautiful. Here's a duet of it with Alison Krauss. And his alone.

RIP Tony.

Love Traffic. Their music is so interesting and creative and intricate.

I too have been listening to them a lot lately. Great stuff.

Anytime I hear "Glad" from Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die" album I am instantly transported back to a rainy night in room 101 Taylor Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Anytime I hear "Glad" from Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die" album I am instantly transported back to a rainy night in room 101 Taylor Hall.
    Great song — I especially like the piano. That’s quite an album title, isn’t it?

Traffic was a really good band — their first seven studio albums all contain sone great music. I haven’t heard their 8th, and final, album (released in 1994). I think I’ll listen to it today.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    He also did an album of Gordon Lightfoot (my favorite) songs. His cover of Shadows is beautiful. Here's a duet of it with Alison Krauss. And his alone.

RIP Tony.
    At your recommendation, I just watched the duet with Allison Krause. Spectacular music, right in my wheelhouse.

Get myself a rockin' chair
    To see if I can lose
    Them thin dime hard times
    Hell on Church Street blues

Rip Tony Rice with apologies to Norman Blake and a tip of the hat from Lyle Lovett.

God dang it, now I can’t like Steven Tyler. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Gotta love his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Par for the course with rock stars and celebrities in the 1970’s and prior. Nobody seemed to think about it back then, for whatever reason.

Different times, different sensibilities.

Par for the course with rock stars and celebrities in the 1970’s and prior. Nobody seemed to think about it back then, for whatever reason.

Different times, different sensibilities.
    Ummm... This defense holds up for some things, but I'm not certain it works for a sexual relationship with someone 16 when Steven Tyler is 25 that goes so far as to have Tyler claim legal guardianship over her.

That's pretty poor behavior in any era.