Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Carolina Hurricanes 2022-23

I guess a thread was never started. That can happen in a year when Duke Football and DWBB both shine!

Well, the Canes are shining, too. They are now on a crazy (and franchise record setting) 11 game win streak. They sit solidly atop the division standings, and are only behind the Boston Bruins in both the conference and the whole of the NHL. (60 points to 56 points, next closest by any team is 52.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I guess a thread was never started. That can happen in a year when Duke Football and DWBB both shine!

Well, the Canes are shining, too. They are now on a crazy (and franchise record setting) 11 game win streak. They sit solidly atop the division standings, and are only behind the Boston Bruins in both the conference and the whole of the NHL. (60 points to 56 points, next closest by any team is 52.)
    Notable streak records within reach: Penguins 92-93 win streak of 17 games. Montreal's point streak of 28 games is good for second, the Canes point streak stands at 17. The Flyers point streak of 35 is still a bit over the horizon.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Winning streak ends after an ugly 3rd period against the Rangers.
    1st period 2-1 Canes
    2nd period 1-1
    3rd period 0-3 Rangers.

Bleah. (But still points)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Winning streak ends after an ugly 3rd period against the Rangers.
    1st period 2-1 Canes
    2nd period 1-1
    3rd period 0-3 Rangers.

Bleah. (But still points)
    No points for a regulation loss. Go (Raleigh) Canes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No points for a regulation loss. Go (Raleigh) Canes!
    Derp.

Oh well, time for a couple new streaks!

Well the Canes are now on a four game losing streak. Good job, fellas.

Against the Devils tonight, they had a 2 goal lead with two minutes left in the the second, and saw it tied up with 1 minute to go in the period. Then they coughed up 2 more in the third.

Peeyeww. Streaking the wrong direction.

Well the Canes are now on a four game losing streak. Good job, fellas.

Against the Devils tonight, they had a 2 goal lead with two minutes left in the the second, and saw it tied up with 1 minute to go in the period. Then they coughed up 2 more in the third.

Peeyeww. Streaking the wrong direction.
    The game was broadcast on Hulu instead of on Bally Sports. I was watching a webinar on my computer and when I went to Hulu on my phone, late second period, it was 3-1 Canes! 2 minutes later, 18 seconds game time, it was 3-3. Stopped watching. Went back to it later and it was 4-3 Devils, and quickly 5-3 and then over. Ugh.

9F 9F 9F

It’s a mad game In which 50% of the goals are scored on deflections, rebounds, ricochets. It’s a beautiful but chronically chaotic game

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    It’s a mad game In which 50% of the goals are scored on deflections, rebounds, ricochets. It’s a beautiful but chronically chaotic game
    Are we talking hockey or futbol?

Unfortunately the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals all went right through the goalie's legs. The first one trickled through. If I was walking next to it, I would have gotten to in to the goal first.

Unfortunately the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals all went right through the goalie's legs. The first one trickled through. If I was walking next to it, I would have gotten to in to the goal first.
    We really should revive this thread, though I realize there are few fans here. Without a marquee name on the roster, Carolina is turning into a true threat to win the Stanley Cup on the strength of suffocating defense, and Caniac fever is everywhere, except, apparently, here. Now down 2-0 in the best of 7 second round series, the NJ Devils looked completely demoralized this evening and the Canes' Andersen seemed almost bored in net. Fun times for Caniac fans.

We really should revive this thread, though I realize there are few fans here. Without a marquee name on the roster, Carolina is turning into a true threat to win the Stanley Cup on the strength of suffocating defense, and Caniac fever is everywhere, except, apparently, here. Now down 2-0 in the best of 7 second round series, the NJ Devils looked completely demoralized this evening and the Canes' Andersen seemed almost bored in net. Fun times for Caniac fans.
    They absolutely torched the Devils to open the series, hoping they can keep it going on the road. I'd like to think we broke their spirit.

Go Canes!

9F 9F 9F

Solid throughout the lineup and a top-notch set of defensemen. They will not be easy to knock out of the playoffs.

Watched game 1 at a Devils bar in West Palm Beach. Not a huge hockey fan, but playoff hockey is absolutely bonkers. Now is when I start tuning in to hockey and NBA basketball. I am in Charlottetown PEI next weekend. I suspect I will watch quite a bit with my buddies up there.

Our system seems to be tailor-made to beat team like New Jersey in the playoffs - NJ plays a counterattacking style that has been good for them this season, but our defensemen are good enough to sit back and absorb the pressure. Just like in the series against the Islanders, teams are only getting goals on us in transition if we make some terrible mistake in the neutral zone.

The Canes on the other hand play an aggressive forechecking style that emphasizes possession and shot volume - not something a smaller, faster team like the Devils defend particularly well.

As good as we've played the first two games, we've also gotten a little bit of puck luck. I expect the Devils to push back up in Newark, but I really like our chances to advance if we can win just one game up there.

Go Canes!

I didn't watch yesterday's "beat down" in NJ, I was playing in a charity golf tournament. But my SO said that NJ played an extremely physical game reminiscent of Tennessee vs. Duke last March, with MANY slashing and high sticking penalties going uncalled. She said Aho's chin looked like Flip's nose - bleeding badly. Maybe the Hurricane's coach Rod Brind'Amour will have some words with the league office about the officiating.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I didn't watch yesterday's "beat down" in NJ, I was playing in a charity golf tournament. But my SO said that NJ played an extremely physical game reminiscent of Tennessee vs. Duke last March, with MANY slashing and high sticking penalties going uncalled. She said Aho's chin looked like Flip's nose - bleeding badly. Maybe the Hurricane's coach Rod Brind'Amour will have some words with the league office about the officiating.
    I did watch the game, and NJ was much more physical than they had been in Raleigh but I didn't think it was at a level that was particularly unusual for the playoffs. Especially for a team returning home after being embarrassed and "out-physicaled" during their first two away games. They played hard, puck-luck went their way early, and they got some revenge against the Canes. I expect game 4 to be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    I did watch the game, and NJ was much more physical than they had been in Raleigh but I didn't think it was at a level that was particularly unusual for the playoffs. Especially for a team returning home after being embarrassed and "out-physicaled" during their first two away games. They played hard, puck-luck went their way early, and they got some revenge against the Canes. I expect game 4 to be a different story.
    I agree. Watched with a fan that watches a lot more Hurricanes hockey than I do. He said before the game that NJ had their backs against the wall and their manhood challenged in the first two games. He said he expected them to come out swinging with their hair on fire and try to land an early knock out punch.

He might have been just lucky rather than smart, but he was right.

After the first two shellacking, NJ had a few options:

- we got beat so bad, let's see if we can steal one at home
    - we got thumped, we have to win game 3 to even have a shot at this series
    - we got embarrassed, we absolutely have to come out guns blazing to retain our self-respect and reset the tone

You can see which they chose.

I saw during the broadcast last night that this series is now in a record setting tie (with two or three others) for the first four games being decided by 4 goals or more. If the next game ends the same way, then Carolina vs New Jersey will hold the new record.