Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Durham restaurant recs

It feels strange to start this thread, since I know I've read multiple posts with this information, but I haven't had much luck with the "Search" function...

I have a client whose husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor this year, and they have decided to travel to Duke Hospital for treatment. They start right after the New Year. My client and her husband are surprisingly hopeful/upbeat despite the prognosis.

I would love to share some restaurant recommendations, preferably a range of places -- upscale to casual (although not too "divey" regardless of how good the food is), different types of cuisine, etc. I guess the main constraint is they would be generally near the hospital/downtown Durham.

Here's what I found so far in combing through threads:

JuJus - Upscale Tapas
    Fosters & Refectory Cafe - breakfast?
    Gugulhupf - looks cool but maybe better for summer/beer garden
    Pizzeria Toro
    Torero's Mexican - is this upscale or typical Mexican fare? - couldn't tell from the posts

Thanks in advance, I know my client will appreciate it.

P.S. If anyone wants to share some tips on the best way to search the threads, a PM would be helpful too. Whenever I enter search criteria, I get a long list of threads but can't figure out how to navigate through the list and find the information.
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

During my time in gradual school at Duke the thing for our group was Bullock's BBQ.

I usually went with the BBQ and brunswick stew combo plate. Fried chicken combo was also good. Of course that was in the '70s so I can't vouch for it now except to say that it still seems to exist in the same place as 50 years ago. Their brunswick stew is what I would call Virginia style; served as a side dish and you can eat it with a fork. I tried to duplicate it for decades and finally found a recipe that was close.

Unless they changed after the literally explosion, Torero's is typical Mexican fare. It was a favored haunt for my group during college.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Unless they changed after the literally explosion, Torero's is typical Mexican fare. It was a favored haunt for my group during college.
    Agreed. It is very standard. Which I personally love - I have found a push towards "fancy" Mexican with expensive guac made at your table, etc. which is also great, but it is nice to have a place where you can go for standard tacos, enchiladas, decent drinks at a semi-reasonable price, and that is what Torero's is. But if someone is expecting somewhere nicer, they will be disappointed. Back in the 90s I think they didn't card much, which we also appreciated...

I also love the Bullock's suggestion but that is a very well-discussed and debated topic around here. Family style is the way to go.

I'm always a fan of Elmo's on 9th Street for a good, standard, classic diner. Nothing exciting there either.

The Fairview at the Washington Duke Inn is very good and right down Erwin from the hospital. The Bull Durham Bar there offers the same food in a more casual atmosphere.

https://carolinas.eater.com/maps/bes...north-carolina

This is a good jumping off point. I usually consult this while traveling. Dames, M Sushi and Juju are personal favorites.

Mexican: 1) Little Bull, 2) Mezcalito
    Italian: Mothers & Sons Trattoria
    Steakhouse: NanaSteak
    Southern: Dame’s Chicken and Waffles
    American: Fairview Dining Room
    French: Vin Rouge
    Spanish: Mateo Bar de Tapas
    Sandwiches: Ideal’s

Lots of FANTASTIC options!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    ...Southern: Dame’s Chicken and Waffles...
    Somebody please explain chicken and waffles to me. It appears to be a thing, at least here in the south, and I just don't get it.

Just make sure you're aware that Juju's is served tapas style, but it is Asian-themed. Mateo's is fare that is more traditional tapas (though even there, it's more American Southern than Spanish). Also, Guglhupf is the best German bakery in the Triangle. Yes, the patio is great when the weather is a little better, but if you like flaky European pastries, it's worth a visit in any season.

While we're on the subject of sweet things, Monuts isn't a great restaurant experience, IMO, but it has some of the most interesting donut flavors that you'll ever try. Long lines, though, so I recommend ordering ahead and going elsewhere to actually eat them.

For an upscale dining experience, my wife and I highly enjoyed Littler in downtown. As the name suggests, the restaurant is tiny, but the food is really amazing and the service people were all just great! Super atmosphere highlighted by a high-end analog stereo setup (played at a low enough volume to not distract).

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Somebody please explain chicken and waffles to me. It appears to be a thing, at least here in the south, and I just don't get it.
    1. You're a monster.
    2. It is a delicious marriage of sweet and savory.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    1. You're a monster.
    Can confirm.

If you end up in Asheville sometime, try Rocky's.

Other recs that have not been mentioned yet: Local 22 for dependable middle level food near Duke, Eastcut for sandwiches, Succotash for Louisiana food, Lula and Sadie's for southern brunch near Duke, Isaac's for bagels

1. You're a monster.
    This!

Well, not sure about the “monster” part.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Other recs that have not been mentioned yet: Local 22 for dependable middle level food near Duke, Eastcut for sandwiches, Succotash for Louisiana food, Lula and Sadie's for southern brunch near Duke, Isaac's for bagels
    Headed to Local 22 with my wife (she’s off on Fridays) right now!

We ate at Lula and Sadie’s awhile back. The food was very good, but it felt a little strange having to tip twice — the first is automatically added for the staff to help pay a living wage; the second is the tip directly to our main waitress.

I guess we didn’t have to do it, but we did.

I'm just not sure I can believe that Clem is recommending a chicken dish.

I'm just not sure I can believe that Clem is recommending a chicken dish.
    I'm sorry I snapped at you. You didn't deserve it. It's just you were saying bad things about a southern delicacy and I didn't know how to make you stop. But I shouldn't have lashed out.

I'm sorry I snapped at you. You didn't deserve it. It's just you were saying bad things about a southern delicacy and I didn't know how to make you stop. But I shouldn't have lashed out.
    Oh, no offense taken, I'm sure I offended in my original point ... and yet, I can't hep it, I cannot wrap my brain around that combination, it just sounds hideous. And this from somebody who grew up in VA and NC. From the recommendations here, I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Oh, no offense taken, I'm sure I offended in my original point ... and yet, I can't hep it, I cannot wrap my brain around that combination, it just sounds hideous. And this from somebody who grew up in VA and NC. From the recommendations here, I guess I'll have to give it a try.
    FWIW, I've lived here for 25 years and have tried it. I don't really get it, either. The rest of my family loves it. I'd much rather have them "deconstructed".

I had chicken and waffles for brunch at the Fairview a few years back and it was AMAZING!!! With rosemary-infused maple syrup. BUT, it was a chicken breast. The menu now lists it as thigh, and I have heard it is not as good. I hate change.

My apologies for derailing the thread, gooch, but at least it looks like you've got some good suggestions already.