Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The quote from GT's coach about Taylor being deserving of ACC POY was posted in the unc game thread. I contested that thought, and then while reading Jim Sumner's latest excellent article I stumbled on this tidbit he shared.

"Fun fact. Duke hasn’t had anyone named ACC Player of the Week this season. Not one."

So again, not saying that Celeste isn't deserving, but she's up against some names that have gotten far more recognition.

Check out the rest of Jim's article, it's a great read.
    https://jimsumner.substack.com/p/loo...m_medium=email
    If Balogun didn't get POW when we took down the #3 and #1 preseason ACC teams and she went 16P-7R and 20P-10R, don't expect any of ours to get that honor anytime soon. But then those preseason prognosticators had us at #7 (barely, only 4 points above GT), with no all-ACC players (10 picked) or newcomers to watch.

All that matters is what happens on the court. Keep showin' 'em, ladies!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Lead article in the WBB section of ESPN today.

Why the Triangle teams' resurgence is good for women's basketball
    Duke, North Carolina and NC State are all in the hunt in an ultra-competitive ACC. And when all three programs are doing well, the sport is stronger as a whole.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...urn-prominence
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    After last night's game, little has changed for Duke in today's bracketology. Still a 3 seed hosting in Durham.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Pitt is awful. They got dominated by FSU today, 74-37.

DWBB stays in the top ten (at 10) in the latest ESPN power rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DWBB stays in the top ten (at 10) in the latest ESPN power rankings.
    And they stay at #9 in the NET rankings.

Dopping to 16 in the AP poll. That's fair. Still sucks staring at unc just above us at 15.

For the first time in forever, the AP voters and the "coaches" agree on something. Duke is at 16 in both polls. I agree more with the coaches for a change, too, in that they have unc below us.

Jadyn Donovan makes McDonald's All-American squad. I have no idea what this has to do with ACC or National WBB.

Congrats Jadyn!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

in one of the curious stats of the week, Nika Muhl almost had a double double with...0 points

8 rebounds and 10 assists

That would have been quite the accomplishment
    April 1

Guard Dana Mabrey has played her last game for ND. Torn ACL in the UVa game.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Guard Dana Mabrey has played her last game for ND. Torn ACL in the UVa game.
    I saw that live. Mabry was driving for a layup on a fast break and simply made a sharp cut in front of a defender. She went down hard and was screaming in pain while the crowd went silent. She was not able to get up on her own and was assisted off the court. You never know when that might happen. I hope she is able to recover and play again in the WNBA or elsewhere.

Big game for our ladies tonight. Hosting #12 Virginia Tech.

No. 16 Duke, 12th-Ranked Virginia Tech to Clash Thursday Night
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/1/25/wo...day-night.aspx

• Fresh off a 62-50 win over Syracuse on Sunday, No. 16 Duke wraps a brief two-game homestand with another top-20 matchup, hosting No. 12/ 10 Virginia Tech on Thursday, Jan. 26 at 8 p.m., live on ACC Network.
    • Pam Ward and Brooke Weisbrod will call the action on ACC Network while Chris Edwards calls the game on the radio on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield.
    • Duke checks in at No. 16 in both the Week 11 Associated Press (AP) and USA Today Coaches Polls.
    • In the latest NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings, the Blue Devils are slotted eighth (as of Jan. 25).

• Virginia Tech (16-3, 6-3 ACC) comes into Thursday's game on the heels of a 74-57 victory over Wake Forest Sunday in Blacksburg.
    • The Hokies own the second-best scoring defense (57.1) in the conference and check in at No. 4 in scoring offense with 75.1 points per game.
    • Virginia Tech has four athletes who average 10 or more points per game - Elizabeth Kitley (18.7), Georgia Amoore (14.4), Taylor Soule (12.1) and Kayana Traylor (11.6).
    • Kitley leads the rebounding efforts with 11.1 boards per game while Amoore is the team leader in assists with 5.5 per game.

gameday.jpg

Though the rankings say we should lose (big surprise), the NET thinks we should win (us #8, VT #21). I give us the home edge, hope Cameron rocks for them tonight.

Wake beats Louisville—first time ever.

Down goes Ohio State. 27-6 (!) third quarter for Indiana.

FSU got destroyed in south bend, so they’re gonna be really looking to come back strong against us this weekend in Tallahassee

No change for Duke this morning in the bracketology. (None expected)
    Hanging out as a three seed still, hosting in Durham.

At the midway point of Duke's ACC season, they are 8-1 and tied with Notre Dame at the top, 2 losses clear of the rest of the conference (a majority of the other teams have played 10 games). Still a lot of season left and work to do, but Duke fans should be ecstatic.