Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    article on Geno's struggle with returning to coaching after the death of his mother last month: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...4-game-absence

Seems like he was in a pretty bad place for a bit.
    Thanks for sharing that article, uh_no.

The article describes how Geno struggled with trying to compartmentalize his grieving process with his coaching duties and apparently he underestimated the difficulty and the time required. He discussed how he feels so deeply about his coaching responsibilities and he had to learn to 'let it go' and not try to control the things he cannot control. Good lessons for anyone.

Geno is from Norristown, Pennsylvania which also produced Tommy Lasorda, who shared an Italian-American heritage and a similar coaching style.

Syracuse leading #7 Notre Dame 34-33 early in the 2nd half (ACCN).

Louisville stolrmed bac k to win at red hot FSU 82-75.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Syracuse leading #7 Notre Dame 34-33 early in the 2nd half (ACCN).
    Notre Dame turned it up a notch behind 23/7/7 from Olivia Miles to win 72-56. ND will be a very challenging game for Duke on 2/5 in South Bend.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Fire up the hype.

GTHC!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Fire up the hype.

GTHC!
    Ivory Latta, ACCN commentator and former UNC guard and WNBA player, is such a homer for the cheats. After the game today she reluctantly praised Duke and Coach Lawson but wasn't giving an inch on showing her bias for the upcoming Duke/UNC game on Thursday. She just said, "we'll see." I guess that's to be expected. At least on the Men's side former UNC guard Joel Berry is unbiased. I like him a lot for his even-handed analysis.

I’d expect Duke to move up at least 3 places to #13 next week- should definitely pass Iowa St, NCSU, and Arizona.

UNC beat NCSU 56-47 today with both teams shooting under 30% for the game. UNC has won 3 in a row including an improbable win over Notre Dame last week in which ND shot 28% and UNC 36%. That sounds like Duke's kind of game! The Cheats are probably crowing and Duke just needs to take care of business and knock 'em back a few notches on their home court! GTHC!!
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 01-15-2023 at 08:04 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    UNC beat NCSU 56-47 today with both teams shooting under 30% for the game. UNC has won 3 in a row including an improbable win over Notre Dame last week in which ND shot 28% and UNC 36%. That sounds like Duke's kind of game! The Cheats are probably crowing and Duke just needs to take care of business and knock 'em back a few notches on their home court! GTHC!!
    And State has been going the opposite direction, losing three of their last four.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stanford’s 39-game conference winning streak is over. Women of Troy hold Cardinal to four points in Q1, and go on to win 55-49 despite shooting 27.3% from the field.

And State has been going the opposite direction, losing three of their last four.
    Usually my friends and I joke about "Beat Duke then tank" for inferior teams on the Men's side, but uh this year State's women are following a "Lose to Duke and then tank" strategy. I don't recommend it.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Shows Duke's ranking by week. Coaches Poll, AP, ELO, NET, RPI, and predicted RPI. Our trend line on all metrics is pretty impressive so far.

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketba...rank?team=Duke

Duke moves up a spot to #8 behind #7 ND in ESPNs Power Rankings.

UNC is back in at 15, and State drops out.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-stanford-down

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Stanford’s 39-game conference winning streak is over. Women of Troy hold Cardinal to four points in Q1, and go on to win 55-49 despite shooting 27.3% from the field.
    That is hard to do- wow

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    That is hard to do- wow
    Also sounds like it was hard to watch

What?!?!? This cannot be! The #2 team in the country, with 2 of the top-10 players (Jones (3 of 13) and Brink (3 of 14)), cannot possibly have shot 31%. Could they? Must have been a lot of missed layups. Can Hall of Fame coach Tara VanDerveer not coach offense?
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    What?!?!? This cannot be! The #2 team in the country, with 2 of the top-10 players (Jones (3 of 13) and Brink (3 of 14)), cannot possibly have shot 31%. Could they? Must have been a lot of missed layups. Can Hall of Fame coach Tara VanDerveer not coach offense?
    She is too nice.

Now it gets real. The ACC is tough top-to-bottom, but with NCState now not looking quite so imposing and Louisville only now rounding into form, our ladies' schedule is certainly back-loaded. Current NET rankings:

6 ND
    9 Duke
    13 NCS
    18 FSU
    20 uNC
    22 VT
    30 Louisville
    39 UVa
    44 Miami
    61 Syracuse
    69 Clemson
    78 BC
    79 Wake
    80 GT
    110 Pitt

So we've played 39, 13, 30, 79, 69, 80.

Coming up @20, 61, 22, @18, 110, @6, @78, 44, @22, @39, 13, 20.

Quite the gauntlet. I'm hoping for only 2 losses, expecting 3, and see 4 as the worst case scenario. Best case would at least get us a tie for the regular season crown, and even the worst case will land us in the top-4 in conference and get us a double bye in the tournament. Five losses might as well. The ACC is just brutal this year.

Exciting times for DWBB.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Now it gets real. The ACC is tough top-to-bottom, but with NCState now not looking quite so imposing and Louisville only now rounding into form, our ladies' schedule is certainly back-loaded. Current NET rankings:

6 ND
    9 Duke
    13 NCS
    18 FSU
    20 uNC
    22 VT
    30 Louisville
    39 UVa
    44 Miami
    61 Syracuse
    69 Clemson
    78 BC
    79 Wake
    80 GT
    110 Pitt

So we've played 39, 13, 30, 79, 69, 80.

Coming up @20, 61, 22, @18, 110, @6, @78, 44, @22, @39, 13, 20.

Quite the gauntlet. I'm hoping for only 2 losses, expecting 3, and see 4 as the worst case scenario. Best case would at least get us a tie for the regular season crown, and even the worst case will land us in the top-4 in conference and get us a double bye in the tournament. Five losses might as well. The ACC is just brutal this year.

Exciting times for DWBB.
    Must spread sporks but thanks for putting that list together. I'm happy that we've had to tough out a few of our wins; that's good experience to build on down this coming stretch. And I'm happy that we had some of those tough games against "lesser" opponents. It doubles down on Kara's teaching to them that any team in this conference can beat any other team.

Must spread sporks but thanks for putting that list together.
    Got you covered.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide