Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    NCAA March Madness Team of the Week

https://twitter.com/MarchMadnessWBB/...82145129746434

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Keep in mind that the Heels lost in the last two seconds to a team who was supposed to be better than them, so them rising anyway is not a big surprise. I can't really explain why we would drop, though. We beat a pair of very good teams and were pretty convincing in doing so.
    This is one of those "drops" that is not really a drop (note that the drop is only after Louisville, the NET updates Daily, so it already factored in the win over State). Duke's rating didn't drop most likely, if you could see the number behind the NET. But on the same day Duke beat Louisville, Notre Dame DESTROYED Boston College. The NET does take Margin of Victory to some extent into account, although not as well as it should, so the result was that ND jumped us even though our rating probably increased.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Balogun has been named the USWBA National Player of The Week.

https://goduke.com/news/2023/1/4/wom...SmSSjQwz1-KKBE
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Miami puts the nail in Carolina's top 25 coffin. The Heels 9-5 (0-3 ACC) lose their 4th in a row to the unranked Hurricanes.
    They'll be out of the rankings come Monday. Way to go, Courtney!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

BC is hanging with State.

BC will win. And Diamond Johnson is back today too.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Go figure. BC loses to ND by 37 on Sunday, and turns around and beats State at Reynolds. BC’s first top-10 win in twelve years.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Go figure. BC loses to ND by 37 on Sunday, and turns around and beats State at Reynolds. BC’s first top-10 win in twelve years.
    It's very likely that Duke will be the 2nd highest ranked team in the ACC on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's very likely that Duke will be the 2nd highest ranked team in the ACC on Monday.
    I hope they don't let it go to their heads. As Coach Lawson said already to the team, its hard sometimes to accept success. Human nature might lead you to let up and come back down to earth for a bit. Its a long season and who knows what may happen, but its a fun ride so far.

There are a couple big games this weekend that will affect conference standings and national rankings. Miami hosts VT in what should be a really good game. That will be their second top 25 matchup of the week.
    The Heels are facing their fifth straight loss (awwww) against Notre Dame. That game is being played in Carmichael.

Duke has a whole week off, not playing again until they face Clemson next Thursday.

UConn down to 6 available players. Sunday game with DePaul postponed

After two more players were injured in yesterdays game against Xavier, UConn only has six available players. The league minimum is seven.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2023/1...postponed.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    After two more players were injured in yesterdays game against Xavier, UConn only has six available players. The league minimum is seven.

Toss in Geno has been (and was expected be again) out with an extended illness.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Toss in Geno has been (and was expected be again) out with an extended illness.
    part of it was his mother died just before christmas as well.

Either way. these two years have been absurd for them with injuries.
    1200. DDMF.

I would have expected a forfeit rather than postponement. Conditions are the same for both teams so if one team is unable to field enough players that should be a forfeit. Apparently the rules say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I would have expected a forfeit rather than postponement. Conditions are the same for both teams so if one team is unable to field enough players that should be a forfeit. Apparently the rules say otherwise.
    And rightly so. Even in pre-COVID time, illness has been known to ravage entire teams, and they should hardly be penalized for that. I want to see teams play (even UConn), not win via walkover. Every reasonable effort should be made to get the games in, IMO.

I guess the ACC does the scheduling, but this is a stupid time for a break. The ladies have only played 3 games of the 2-per-week schedule, and will now go to the end of February without a break. Stupid.

This is also the midpoint of the regular season, 15 down and 14 to go, so some thoughts:

There won't be any rest, the ACC is the toughest conference, top-to-bottom, in the country and it's not even close. NET rankings:

6 ND
    9 Duke
    13 NCS
    14 VT
    15 FSU
    26 uNC
    31 UVa
    32 Louisville
    49 Miami
    63 Clemson
    65 Syracuse
    73 Wake
    75 GT
    76 BC
    115 Pitt

That's insane.

Janiah Barker (6-2 forward, #3 recruit, we made her final 5) was our big miss in last year's class. She chose Texas A&M, currently 5-8. I wonder if she's regretting her decision.

Not much to complain about, this team has exceeded all expectations, and I had more than most. These are a few things I hope for:

I want more out of Taya overall. She was set back a bit by injury, but if she can produce for us like she did at Oregon State we can compete with anyone. Yes, anyone, with our defense.

I want Jordyn to find her handle again. Through the 1st 11 games she had an assist:turnover ratio of about 5:1. The last 4 games she's gone 0:2, 1:2, 2:2, and 1:4 (eek!). As a 35% free throw shooter (double eek!) she will be worthless to us at the end of close games.

I want more scoring out of Ashlon. She's gonna be a star.

These are nit-pickings. The team is doing great, but there's no letting up at this point. Any loss of focus is a loss on the floor. Anyway, it's all about March. How much fun is it to look forward to March for a change?
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Lee Volker Not On Roster

Damn. I wish we knew at least something, silence leads only to speculation.
    Regardless, well wishes to her.

Congrats to Jiselle Havas! Former walk-on, now a scholarship player for DWBB.

(Link is to vid on DWBB's FB page)

https://www.facebook.com/DukeWBB/videos/704083027781111

BC and FSU are heading to OT. Really great game. If BC wins, Duke will take sole possession of 1st in the ACC.

Also, Miami leads #9 VT 39-38 at the half.