Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 347
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I kinda understand your reasoning, but I think 90% of the "broad and cumbersome" problem is solved by splitting out the game threads.

    Also, it's a mistake to equate football to women's basketball. There's only one school in the country where the interest is even close, and that's UConn. That's because their women have been the undisputed premier program for a quarter century while their football team sucks. Just the way it is, interest in men's vs. women's sports, especially football.

    Simple solution: change the name of the thread. There is very, very little discussion of non-Duke WBB around here. Any such news has been gladly accepted (well, at least not spurned) in the DWBB thread. If there's news about one of our players, or Jadyn Donovan or on next year's recruiting, it fits comfortably in the DWBB thread. It's extremely rare to see comments/articles about other team's players or recruits around here.
    Perhaps we weren’t hearing anything about other programs because of the NAME of the previous thread. It didn’t exactly invite topics other than DWBB.

    I like the new format.

    John

  2. #22
    Notable result today, Oregon State took down number 10 UCLA. Thatíll help our strength of schedule

  3. #23
    UNC loses a second straight game, this time a game in Blacksburg when they foul a VT shooter from 3 with 1.8 left in a tie game

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    women heels looked good...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    UNC loses a second straight game, this time a game in Blacksburg when they foul a VT shooter from 3 with 1.8 left in a tie game
    We'll be ranked higher.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Piedmont Triad
    I have a feeling that Duke might be the ESPN team of the week. Not sure who had a more impressive week among P5 schools.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    So any word about Reigan Richardson's injury? I hope it is not serious, but when a starter only plays 2-Ĺ minutes in a hotly contested game and there is no word from the announcers, it leaves a void which must be filled--both on the floor and in information. On the floor, the team did well; but Richardson would have added some depth. On the information front--nada.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    So any word about Reigan Richardson's injury? I hope it is not serious, but when a starter only plays 2-Ĺ minutes in a hotly contested game and there is no word from the announcers, it leaves a void which must be filled--both on the floor and in information. On the floor, the team did well; but Richardson would have added some depth. On the information front--nada.
    The ankle twist didn't look too serious when it happened. Reigan was on the bench with ice on the ankle for the rest of the game. Let's hope it resolves quickly.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    So any word about Reigan Richardson's injury? I hope it is not serious, but when a starter only plays 2-Ĺ minutes in a hotly contested game and there is no word from the announcers, it leaves a void which must be filled--both on the floor and in information. On the floor, the team did well; but Richardson would have added some depth. On the information front--nada.
    No information, but as someone who was in the building when it happened, that looked like a several week ankle sprain to me. She wasn't really putting any weight on it. The fact that she didn't return to the floor yesterday just solidifies the conclusion that it is not a short-term issue. I'd guess there's a fairly high probability that she's not back until February.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    I have a feeling that Duke might be the ESPN team of the week. Not sure who had a more impressive week among P5 schools.
    Your feeling rings true.

    Team of the Week: Duke Blue Devils
    Coach Kara Lawson said her biggest concern over the offseason was getting better defensively, and the Blue Devils have done that. They lead the ACC in scoring defense, allowing 50.3 PPG. They are 10th in the league in scoring offense (71.2 PPG), but that hasn't been a problem because of how they've limited other teams.

    Wins this past week over NC State on the road and Louisville at home sent a message that 13-1 Duke looks ready to be a strong challenger in the ACC this season.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...gs-duke-debuts

    PS, Duke debuts at 15 on the Power Rankings
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 01-02-2023 at 09:01 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    UNC loses a second straight game, this time a game in Blacksburg when they foul a VT shooter from 3 with 1.8 left in a tie game
    D’ohhhhhh!

    Inside Carolina is amusing this morning.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 01-02-2023 at 09:21 AM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Two fun takeaways from today's AP poll.

    Duke was one of the the teams to knock off a top-10 squad last week, beating the Wolfpack. The Blue Devils entered the poll at No. 19. They are off to a 13-1 start with the lone loss coming against UConn. Kara Lawson's team is 3-0 in conference play for the first time since 2013-14 and is off to its best in six years.

    FALLING TAR HEELS

    North Carolina has lost three straight games and fallen to No. 22 in the poll after dropping contests to Florida State and Virginia Tech. The Tar Heels, who were sixth in the Top 25 two weeks ago, will try end the slide against Miami on Thursday.
    GTHC, Go Canes
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-1st-ap-top-25
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Crikey! Duke has moved to a #3 seed (and therefore hosting games) in bracketology.

    Meanwhile, this thread slipped to the 2nd page. Mods, seriously, please take "/ACC/National" off the title of the thread. It's stupid. I don't believe there is a single regular contributor on DWBB issues who agrees with the decision.
    Past is gone, thou canst not that recall; Future is not, may not be at all;
    Present is, [so] improve the flying hour; Present only is within thy power. - Friar Park Clock Tower [author unknown]

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Crikey! Duke has moved to a #3 seed (and therefore hosting games) in bracketology.

    Meanwhile, this thread slipped to the 2nd page. Mods, seriously, please take "/ACC/National" off the title of the thread. It's stupid. I don't believe there is a single regular contributor on DWBB issues who agrees with the decision.
    Agreed to the thread title, and that's great news about the 3rd seed. I knew we'd move, but that's a huge jump from the previous 6 or 7.

    We're still top 10 in the NET, too. Even though we won, we actually dropped a spot to 8, and even though they lost (again!), the Heels moved from 31 to the top 25. Still, I think the NET rankings are a much better metric of where we stand than the national polls are.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Agreed to the thread title, and that's great news about the 3rd seed. I knew we'd move, but that's a huge jump from the previous 6 or 7.

    We're still top 10 in the NET, too. Even though we won, we actually dropped a spot to 8, and even though they lost (again!), the Heels moved from 31 to the top 25. Still, I think the NET rankings are a much better metric of where we stand than the national polls are.
    Keep in mind that the Heels lost in the last two seconds to a team who was supposed to be better than them, so them rising anyway is not a big surprise. I can't really explain why we would drop, though. We beat a pair of very good teams and were pretty convincing in doing so.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Duke WBB finally inches into the NCAA Division I Top 25 Coaches Poll this week at #22.
    https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/jan-3-2023-1

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Duke WBB finally inches into the NCAA Division I Top 25 Coaches Poll this week at #22.
    https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/jan-3-2023-1
    so at least a couple coaches are paying attention
    1200. DDMF.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Crikey! Duke has moved to a #3 seed (and therefore hosting games) in bracketology.

    Meanwhile, this thread slipped to the 2nd page. Mods, seriously, please take "/ACC/National" off the title of the thread. It's stupid. I don't believe there is a single regular contributor on DWBB issues who agrees with the decision.
    I think Creme may have over-reacted to our good week. Iíll believe weíre hosting when I can buy tickets.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I think Creme may have over-reacted to our good week. Iíll believe weíre hosting when I can buy tickets.
    Way too early to tell how the season will end, of course, but based on our play to date, that day will come.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I think Creme may have over-reacted to our good week. Iíll believe weíre hosting when I can buy tickets.
    Just need to be in the top 16 as far as the committee is concerned. What happens if State, Duke, and coughwheezecough Carolina are all in there? Does that change their thinking? There aren't too many other places in the country that have the top talent like we do within 20 minutes of each other.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 National Invitation Tournament
    By CameronDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-23-2022, 09:06 PM
  2. Duke Blue Devils -- 2022 ACC Regular Season MBB Champions
    By roywhite in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2022, 09:52 PM
  3. Odds to win 2022 Menís Basketball National Championship
    By CameronDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2021, 06:02 PM
  4. Duke Video Commemorating 2015 National Championship Season
    By atoomer0881 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 11:29 AM
  5. Can Duke Win The National Championship This Season?
    By Franzez in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •