Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I kinda understand your reasoning, but I think 90% of the "broad and cumbersome" problem is solved by splitting out the game threads.

Also, it's a mistake to equate football to women's basketball. There's only one school in the country where the interest is even close, and that's UConn. That's because their women have been the undisputed premier program for a quarter century while their football team sucks. Just the way it is, interest in men's vs. women's sports, especially football.

Simple solution: change the name of the thread. There is very, very little discussion of non-Duke WBB around here. Any such news has been gladly accepted (well, at least not spurned) in the DWBB thread. If there's news about one of our players, or Jadyn Donovan or on next year's recruiting, it fits comfortably in the DWBB thread. It's extremely rare to see comments/articles about other team's players or recruits around here.
    Perhaps we weren’t hearing anything about other programs because of the NAME of the previous thread. It didn’t exactly invite topics other than DWBB.

I like the new format.

John

Notable result today, Oregon State took down number 10 UCLA. That’ll help our strength of schedule

UNC loses a second straight game, this time a game in Blacksburg when they foul a VT shooter from 3 with 1.8 left in a tie game

women heels looked good...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    UNC loses a second straight game, this time a game in Blacksburg when they foul a VT shooter from 3 with 1.8 left in a tie game
    We'll be ranked higher.

I have a feeling that Duke might be the ESPN team of the week. Not sure who had a more impressive week among P5 schools.

So any word about Reigan Richardson's injury? I hope it is not serious, but when a starter only plays 2-½ minutes in a hotly contested game and there is no word from the announcers, it leaves a void which must be filled--both on the floor and in information. On the floor, the team did well; but Richardson would have added some depth. On the information front--nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    So any word about Reigan Richardson's injury? I hope it is not serious, but when a starter only plays 2-½ minutes in a hotly contested game and there is no word from the announcers, it leaves a void which must be filled--both on the floor and in information. On the floor, the team did well; but Richardson would have added some depth. On the information front--nada.
    The ankle twist didn't look too serious when it happened. Reigan was on the bench with ice on the ankle for the rest of the game. Let's hope it resolves quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    No information, but as someone who was in the building when it happened, that looked like a several week ankle sprain to me. She wasn't really putting any weight on it. The fact that she didn't return to the floor yesterday just solidifies the conclusion that it is not a short-term issue. I'd guess there's a fairly high probability that she's not back until February.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    I have a feeling that Duke might be the ESPN team of the week. Not sure who had a more impressive week among P5 schools.
    Your feeling rings true.

Team of the Week: Duke Blue Devils
    Coach Kara Lawson said her biggest concern over the offseason was getting better defensively, and the Blue Devils have done that. They lead the ACC in scoring defense, allowing 50.3 PPG. They are 10th in the league in scoring offense (71.2 PPG), but that hasn't been a problem because of how they've limited other teams.

Wins this past week over NC State on the road and Louisville at home sent a message that 13-1 Duke looks ready to be a strong challenger in the ACC this season.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...gs-duke-debuts

PS, Duke debuts at 15 on the Power Rankings
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 01-02-2023 at 09:01 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    D’ohhhhhh!

Inside Carolina is amusing this morning.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 01-02-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Two fun takeaways from today's AP poll.

Duke was one of the the teams to knock off a top-10 squad last week, beating the Wolfpack. The Blue Devils entered the poll at No. 19. They are off to a 13-1 start with the lone loss coming against UConn. Kara Lawson's team is 3-0 in conference play for the first time since 2013-14 and is off to its best in six years.

FALLING TAR HEELS

North Carolina has lost three straight games and fallen to No. 22 in the poll after dropping contests to Florida State and Virginia Tech. The Tar Heels, who were sixth in the Top 25 two weeks ago, will try end the slide against Miami on Thursday.
    GTHC, Go Canes
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-1st-ap-top-25
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Crikey! Duke has moved to a #3 seed (and therefore hosting games) in bracketology.

Meanwhile, this thread slipped to the 2nd page. Mods, seriously, please take "/ACC/National" off the title of the thread. It's stupid. I don't believe there is a single regular contributor on DWBB issues who agrees with the decision.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Crikey! Duke has moved to a #3 seed (and therefore hosting games) in bracketology.

Meanwhile, this thread slipped to the 2nd page. Mods, seriously, please take "/ACC/National" off the title of the thread. It's stupid. I don't believe there is a single regular contributor on DWBB issues who agrees with the decision.
    Agreed to the thread title, and that's great news about the 3rd seed. I knew we'd move, but that's a huge jump from the previous 6 or 7.

We're still top 10 in the NET, too. Even though we won, we actually dropped a spot to 8, and even though they lost (again!), the Heels moved from 31 to the top 25. Still, I think the NET rankings are a much better metric of where we stand than the national polls are.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Agreed to the thread title, and that's great news about the 3rd seed. I knew we'd move, but that's a huge jump from the previous 6 or 7.

We're still top 10 in the NET, too. Even though we won, we actually dropped a spot to 8, and even though they lost (again!), the Heels moved from 31 to the top 25. Still, I think the NET rankings are a much better metric of where we stand than the national polls are.
    Keep in mind that the Heels lost in the last two seconds to a team who was supposed to be better than them, so them rising anyway is not a big surprise. I can't really explain why we would drop, though. We beat a pair of very good teams and were pretty convincing in doing so.

Duke WBB finally inches into the NCAA Division I Top 25 Coaches Poll this week at #22.
    https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/jan-3-2023-1

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Duke WBB finally inches into the NCAA Division I Top 25 Coaches Poll this week at #22.
    https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/jan-3-2023-1
    so at least a couple coaches are paying attention
    1200. DDMF.

I think Creme may have over-reacted to our good week. I’ll believe we’re hosting when I can buy tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I think Creme may have over-reacted to our good week. I’ll believe we’re hosting when I can buy tickets.
    Way too early to tell how the season will end, of course, but based on our play to date, that day will come.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Just need to be in the top 16 as far as the committee is concerned. What happens if State, Duke, and coughwheezecough Carolina are all in there? Does that change their thinking? There aren't too many other places in the country that have the top talent like we do within 20 minutes of each other.