Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Ga Tech hanging with NC State going into the 4th quarter up by one.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yowsers! Duke got a commitment from Yale graduate transfer Camilla Emsbo. She's a 6-5 center to pair with 6-6 Kennedy. She's sitting out this season because she tore her ACL in October, but as a junior she averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks. She was unanimous all-Ivy and apparently was the favorite to be Ivy Player of the Year before her injury.

Welcome!
    That is what this team needs now. Brown will likely improve from the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    That is what this team needs now. Brown will likely improve from the competition.
    I wonder how long it will take her to fully recover from ACL surgery. When will she likely be ready to be a factor in practice?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm kinda sure somebody will surprise, but I have no idea who. I like surprises, hoping for uNC and FSU
    And there it is. GT takes down State.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

State wasn’t the only ranked team to lose on Thursday. Iowa hung 96 on Maryland (42 for Clark), and Gonzaga and Middle Tennessee lost to unranked conference opponents.

Caitlin Clark of Iowa is such a great scorer. She is the Seth Curry of the NCAA Women's Basketball.
    https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/caitlin-clark/

I'm watching the Iowa-Penn State game (it's a slow Sunday) and Caitlin Clark made three plays in about a five minute stretch that left me shaking me head in awe. First was a 1/2 court bullet pass through traffic that hit her teammate in stride in perfect position for a layup (the teammate fumbled the ball out of bounds, but it didn't spoil my aesthetic appreciation for the pass). Then she led a fast break and very casually flipped a behind-the-back bounce pass to the trailer for a layup. It didn't even look like showboating, which is what made it look so cool. Finally, she brings up the ball, pulls up from about 26 feet and drains it. I had started saying wait, what are you doing? and then the ball goes through the net. Even basic stuff, like a perfectly timed and placed entry pass to a post player (45 degree angle, timed just as the post player body checked the defender about three feet backwards to clear space) for an easy layup, was admirable. That was some terrific basketball.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    To make today even better, the Blue Bangharts lost to Louisville.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    I'm watching the Iowa-Penn State game (it's a slow Sunday) and Caitlin Clark made three plays in about a five minute stretch that left me shaking me head in awe. First was a 1/2 court bullet pass through traffic that hit her teammate in stride in perfect position for a layup (the teammate fumbled the ball out of bounds, but it didn't spoil my aesthetic appreciation for the pass). Then she led a fast break and very casually flipped a behind-the-back bounce pass to the trailer for a layup. It didn't even look like showboating, which is what made it look so cool. Finally, she brings up the ball, pulls up from about 26 feet and drains it. I had started saying wait, what are you doing? and then the ball goes through the net. Even basic stuff, like a perfectly timed and placed entry pass to a post player (45 degree angle, timed just as the post player body checked the defender about three feet backwards to clear space) for an easy layup, was admirable. That was some terrific basketball.
    She's absolutely incredible, and will be a really deserving #1 pick in the WNBA Draft. A highlight reel worth watching very game.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

DWBB jumps from 13 to 9 in ESPN's latest power rankings.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-carolina-iowa

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DWBB jumps from 13 to 9 in ESPN's latest power rankings.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-carolina-iowa
    This is odd. Duke goes into South Bend and comes out with a win, and neither they nor ND move in the NET. In fact, there was no movement at all among the top 10.

What this tells me is that at this point in the season, there's not going to be a lot of movement save a really bad loss. And that Duke has probably locked up hosting the 1st weekend. Who would have predicted that in November?

Also of note: The ACC has 4 teams in the top 13.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

This is odd. Duke goes into South Bend and comes out with a win, and neither they nor ND move in the NET. In fact, there was no movement at all among the top 10.

What this tells me is that at this point in the season, there's not going to be a lot of movement save a really bad loss. And that Duke has probably locked up hosting the 1st weekend. Who would have predicted that in November?

Also of note: The ACC has 4 teams in the top 13.
    Things I would have not predicted at the beginning of the season, in no particular order.

• Two true road victories over top ten teams.
    • Having sole possession of first place in the ACC this late in the season.
    • Flirting with our own Top Ten ranking. (Regardless of where we end up today, we'll be pretty close.)
    • Staring down a double bye in the ACC tourney. To not get one is possible, but we are in excellent position.
    • Staring down hosting the first NCAA rounds. Again, not impossible that we don't, but I don't see the kind of collapse needed for it to not happen.
    • Mild hindsight, considering what this team has done, to not have an ACC player of the week even once.

Congrats to the Duke women for cracking the Top Ten!!

DWBB checks in at #9

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-wom...asketball-poll

DWBB checks in at #9

Great accomplishment! Lots of hard work left to do. Still plenty of upside.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Great accomplishment! Lots of hard work left to do. Still plenty of upside.
    Staying up there is pretty hard to do, but I think getting there from where this team started is even harder, which as you say, is a great accomplishment. I know coaches and players all say "it's just a number", but I hope they are all smiling wide today for getting the recognition that they so well deserve.

Edit...wow. Last time we were in the top 10 was when we finished 2017 at #9.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 02-06-2023 at 01:44 PM.

What this tells me is that at this point in the season, there's not going to be a lot of movement save a really bad loss. And that Duke has probably locked up hosting the 1st weekend.
    The NCAA releases their first Top Sixteen for tournament seedings this Thursday. I'm guessing that there will be four ACC teams in the mix, with Duke, ND, VT, and the cheaterettes.

DWBB checks in at #9

Good grief. The ACC holds positions number:
    9 - Duke
    10 - Notre Dame
    11 - Va Tech
    (14) - ??
    19 - FSU
    22 - NC State
    RV - Louisville

That's an impressive conference. And our last six games include 11A, (14)H, and 22H from that list, two of them as second-time matchups. With a schedule that difficult, I think it is too early to be counting chickens such as ACC or NCAA Tournament seeds. We've got a great shot at a double-bye, and we've got a great shot at being an NCAA hosting site, but we still have to earn both. As it is, we are far further toward those goals than I thought we'd be this year.

First and foremost, let's take care of BC on the road on Thursday.

The NCAA releases their first Top Sixteen for tournament seedings this Thursday. I'm guessing that there will be four ACC teams in the mix, with Duke, ND, VT, and the cheaterettes.
    We'll certainly find out whether the NET is truly more important than the rankings. NET has NCState #11 (who you omitted) and cheaterettes at #22.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Good grief. The ACC holds positions number:
    9 - Duke
    10 - Notre Dame
    11 - Va Tech
    (14) - ??
    19 - FSU
    22 - NC State
    RV - Louisville

That's an impressive conference. And our last six games include 11A, (14)H, and 22H from that list, two of them as second-time matchups. With a schedule that difficult, I think it is too early to be counting chickens such as ACC or NCAA Tournament seeds. We've got a great shot at a double-bye, and we've got a great shot at being an NCAA hosting site, but we still have to earn both. As it is, we are far further toward those goals than I thought we'd be this year.

First and foremost, let's take care of BC on the road on Thursday.
    We've played all three of them already and are 2-1. I'd be happy to go 2-1 again.

And you only get shuffled down the NET if you take a really bad loss. OSU lost by 36 and dropped 5 spots. I don't see this team losing by 36 or even 20. Their defense is too good.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

We'll certainly find out whether the NET is truly more important than the rankings. NET has NCState #11 (who you omitted) and cheaterettes at #22.
    I'm not alone in that omission. Maybe Charlie Creme will have them hosting in his bracketology tomorrow, but he doesn't as of Thursday. That's not to say that they can't work their way back up.
    The thought of the three Triangle schools hosting is tantalizing. (And that could give the baby blue bangharts a chance to go home early...at home!)

I don't see this team losing by 36 or even 20. Their defense is too good.
    Well, we already lost to UConn by 28. We may be better now than we were then, but I don't think another clunker is out of the realm of possibility. That said, our defense definitely keeps us in most games.