Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electronic Ticket Phenomenon

I went to the ACC tournament for each Duke game this past week and I must say I miss paper tickets. Normally I can get in to a championship game pretty cheap but I realize that maybe Saturday night games cause the price to go up some. All day on Saturday ticket prices were outrageous. I bought a ticket at more than I wanted to spend and ended up checking them at tip off. They were still outrageous at $90+ for a ticket in the upper deck. This game was well attended but there were plenty of seats open in the upper deck. Normally tickets will crater around game time so this has me thinking about what the cause may be.

1. Are online sites colluding and keeping their ticket prices really high to force buyers to make a decision? If we panic and buy them at a high rate they can afford to eat some of them

2. Are losing fans more likely to sell their paper tickets on the way out the door vs post them on stub hub or ticket master? It takes a little more effort to post them online?

3. Are UNC fans purposely holding on to their tickets to spite Duke fans and to keep them out of the building?

Any other reasons you can think of?

until people stop going, and paying, or until there are laws, and limits, it won't stop...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

All I know is: if I have too many tickets for an event, it’s a buyers market. Too few? Seller’s market.

Every. Single. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    All I know is: if I have too many tickets for an event, it’s a buyers market. Too few? Seller’s market.

Every. Single. Time.
    Question: the secondary market in the days of paper tickets was coldly efficient. Can it possibly be that easy now to trade and peddle?

Also note that sites obviously take fees/commissions on all transactions. A place like Ticketmaster gets a fee on initial purchase and then if it gets put up again on their resale market, gets a fee AGAIN. So, the more time it exchanges hand, the more $$$. Of course, the online marketplace absolutely serves a value and makes finding tickets easier from any location, but I too, miss paper tickets. I think many people don't bother posting them online, but would sell it as they leave the venue when their team loses. Problem is nobody is incentivized to bring back paper tickets as the retailers all make more money from online sales (and venues save printing costs, etc.).

It used to be quite a fun game getting paper tickets outside the venue before a game, and you wouldn't have to pay an extra fee...So, I think #2 is definitely true.

I remember searching for tickets as a kid with my dad to get tickets to the 1997 Rose Bowl outside the stadium. Was a bit stressful as you didn't know if you'd get in, but was kinda fun to try to make the deal and to get from the fanbase that you were cheering for because they'd be more likely to give it to a fan (since they often would be seated next to you). I actually remember how much we paid for it still to this day. At the time, I thought it was a lot, but would be nothing compared to today's prices for a quasi-national championship game probably.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Question: the secondary market in the days of paper tickets was coldly efficient. Can it possibly be that easy now to trade and peddle?
    I always used to get a kick out of walking past a seller then seeing a buyer a few feet away who was clearly working with the seller and going to the buyer and saying "he's selling, why don't you go talk to him - I bet he will give you a good deal!" and getting really dirty looks...

Last year when UNC lost in the ACC semis to VA Tech, the ticket price for the finals dropped a lot immediately. I got tickets late that morning. It rebounded a bit close to game time as I guess buyers had some FOMO. In hindsight, I wish I had not bought those tickets as that game was an absolutely miserable experience - bad loss for Duke, and obnoxious VA Tech fans sitting near us really harassing my 11 year old son and I.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I went to the ACC tournament for each Duke game this past week and I must say I miss paper tickets. Normally I can get in to a championship game pretty cheap but I realize that maybe Saturday night games cause the price to go up some. All day on Saturday ticket prices were outrageous. I bought a ticket at more than I wanted to spend and ended up checking them at tip off. They were still outrageous at $90+ for a ticket in the upper deck. This game was well attended but there were plenty of seats open in the upper deck. Normally tickets will crater around game time so this has me thinking about what the cause may be.

1. Are online sites colluding and keeping their ticket prices really high to force buyers to make a decision? If we panic and buy them at a high rate they can afford to eat some of them

2. Are losing fans more likely to sell their paper tickets on the way out the door vs post them on stub hub or ticket master? It takes a little more effort to post them online?

3. Are UNC fans purposely holding on to their tickets to spite Duke fans and to keep them out of the building?

I also miss the days of being able to buy a paper ticket on the cheap just before (or after) tipoff. I assume that you don't see prices drop as much right before tip as the online marketplace has increased the pool of potential buyers and better connected them with sellers.

In the old days, you were taking a risk if you waited until gameday to buy a ticket. You'd have to travel to the venue and hope that you could find a scalper willing to sell for a price you were comfortable with. These days, if you are local, there is no "burden" to checking the online marketplace from the comfort of home any time before you would have to leave to go to the game. As such, I suspect that a higher percentage of tickets get sold 3-4 hours before the game than in the past. This leaves fewer tickets available right before the tip.

I also suspect that more folks these days go to the venue prepared to catch the game in a local bar. While these folks are content being a part of the gametime atmosphere (and part of the post-game celebration if their team wins), they will also check their phones and snap up cheap tickets if they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I always used to get a kick out of walking past a seller then seeing a buyer a few feet away who was clearly working with the seller and going to the buyer and saying "he's selling, why don't you go talk to him - I bet he will give you a good deal!" and getting really dirty looks...

Last year when UNC lost in the ACC semis to VA Tech, the ticket price for the finals dropped a lot immediately. I got tickets late that morning. It rebounded a bit close to game time as I guess buyers had some FOMO. In hindsight, I wish I had not bought those tickets as that game was an absolutely miserable experience - bad loss for Duke, and obnoxious VA Tech fans sitting near us really harassing my 11 year old son and I.
    You didn't have the pleasure of driving four hours watch the debacle, did you?

Last year, I immediately purchased tickets when Duke won, expecting prices to soar if UNC won. The next morning on the drive to NY I noticed that prices had cratered, so I bought better tickets for a much better price. Luckily I managed to resell my original tickets for only a modest loss when prices rebounded again that afternoon.

So I guess it was a classic case of "buy high, buy low, sell moderate, and watch a miserable drubbing".

I was also hoping to go to the ACCT final by grabbing a paper ticket the day before, but alas that doesn't exist anymore and the online prices were too much. I don't think it's an issue of ticket sellers colluding to hold on to their tickets or jack up the price. I think when information is freely available the market will settle on a price because everybody knows how much everyone else is charging. And yes, the fees that stubhub, seatgeek, etc. tack on were around $30-40 from what I was seeing so that's another barrier.

Does that mean parking lot phone-to-phone ticket transfers/sales from exiting and depressed Cheater fans is not yet a thing? I know of a successful pre-game Duke to State e-ticket transfer that happened this season. Should be easy if the apps will allow it...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Does that mean parking lot phone-to-phone ticket transfers/sales from exiting and depressed Cheater fans is not yet a thing? I know of a successful pre-game Duke to State e-ticket transfer that happened this season. Should be easy if the apps will allow it...
    That appears how the scalpers are doing it these days

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    You didn't have the pleasure of driving four hours watch the debacle, did you?

Last year, I immediately purchased tickets when Duke won, expecting prices to soar if UNC won. The next morning on the drive to NY I noticed that prices had cratered, so I bought better tickets for a much better price. Luckily I managed to resell my original tickets for only a modest loss when prices rebounded again that afternoon.

So I guess it was a classic case of "buy high, buy low, sell moderate, and watch a miserable drubbing".
    45 minute subway ride - much easier.

I was also always curious about the difference in the last second ticket buying dynamic between urban places like MSG or Barclays compared to somewhere where everyone is paying to park. Would one pay the increasingly high cost of parking to show up without tickets in the hopes that you get them, knowing that if you don't get tickets, you just wasted money? Compared to MSG where I can just take the subway there so the sunk cost is much lower?

Red face

We do a lot of work with several large venues and several large promoters (including the largest promotor in the world) - and I am season tix holder for the Carolina Hurricanes. As such, I have thought about the whole e ticket thing a good bit. Here's my take on your questions, FWIW

1. I do not think so...but I think there are more speculators buying tickets now - knowing selling them to anyone anywhere in the country is easy now...even up to a few minutes PAST game time, show time, etc. And the online sites are working with and for venues that want these tickets sold early, for parking, vendor planning. Remember that the ticket is only the tip of the financial iceberg for the venues and the tours. Parking, merch, concessions....only get sold to those in attendance. I'm not saying there is none of what you described going on, but I don't think it's the main driver by far. It comes down to supply and demand ultimately, and a public that is still relatively new to the whole e ticket situation in may cases.

2. This is definitely a factor. While over all more tickets get moved online than in person now, there are times where the lack of paper tickets is a drag on activity. Especially in an event like the ACCT, where many attendees have been going for years, and routinely buying/sellling paper tix after each session depending on who wins/ loses.

3. Funny to think about. maybe a few? I doubt many.

On balance, digital tickets get more butts in the seats more often. We all know last minute plan changes leave paper tickets unused...which does no one any good. Having season tix for 41 regular season NHL games - it is so easy for us to spread the tickets around, even last minute, to friends, family, employees, etc.

I live less than 4 miles from Gboro Coliseum so I parked on a small side street for free and then bought tix off Stubhub, Seatgeek, and Stubhub again for Quarters, Semis and Finals, respectively this past weekend. Including fees & taxes, I paid like $177/ticket for the entire tourney for really good, upper level seats right near mid court. I waited until right before tip against UVA and saw prices drop a fair amount. I think tickets were going for $150 ish (and that is BEFORE fees & taxes) in the afternoon, but my girlfriend and I got 2 for $130 INCLUDING processing fees, etc.
    by waiting until right before game time.

Anyway, it does seem that prices drop right near game time. Incidentally, my Quarterfinals ticket was $27. Not too shabby 😁

$90 was face for upper level seats for the championship game. Tickets were going for far cheaper than I've ever seen in Greensboro the entire week (and I've been going since 1995). That's without even factoring the rising face value. I had 2 seats I couldn't get rid of for any any session for anything more than a fraction of face.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

My party got 3 tickets for the final just after the semifinal win. Each was $83 including fees at Ticketmaster. Section 234, row k, past the endline a bit. We could see just fine and really enjoyed it.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Just to tag onto the physical ticket love topic, I got into physical sports ticket collecting as a hobby a few years back and absolutely love it. The fact that every ticket is truly unique (after all, only one ticket can be sold for each seat) plus the fact what you’re owning a bit of history is just so cool to me. I have tickets for all of Duke’s major bowl games (except for ‘55 Orange, seriously if someone has one please let me know) and basketball championships, plus all the opening / closing Olympic ceremonies dating back to 1924. It’s just such a cool piece of history. Highly recommend as a hobby if people are looking for one.

But seriously, if you have a ‘55 Orange ticket please let me know. I have been trying to get it forever and last one I need for the set haha. That or ‘86 NCAA Soccer Championship (first national title for Duke in any sport). Those are my white whales!

E-tickets are basically QR codes, right? Seems there's an opportunity for some new app to wheel and deal in such codes. Huge potential for scams but if that nut can be cracked maybe an easy, free, and safe way to exchange e-tickets across platforms will emerge. There's your million dollar idea for the day...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    E-tickets are basically QR codes, right? Seems there's an opportunity for some new app to wheel and deal in such codes. Huge potential for scams but if that nut can be cracked maybe an easy, free, and safe way to exchange e-tickets across platforms will emerge. There's your million dollar idea for the day...
    They have that. It’s called StubHub.

Now back to the ‘55 Orange Bowl ticket…

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    My party got 3 tickets for the final just after the semifinal win. Each was $83 including fees at Ticketmaster. Section 234, row k, past the endline a bit. We could see just fine and really enjoyed it.
    Yea I looked them as well. That’s when they were the cheapest. I expected them to go down the next day but they really didn’t.