Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, we already lost to UConn by 28. We may be better now than we were then, but I don't think another clunker is out of the realm of possibility. That said, our defense definitely keeps us in most games.
    We won't play a UConn-type team until the NCAAs.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    True.

We've played all three of them already and are 2-1. I'd be happy to go 2-1 again.

And you only get shuffled down the NET if you take a really bad loss. OSU lost by 36 and dropped 5 spots. I don't see this team losing by 36 or even 20. Their defense is too good.
    Quite right, of course. And yes, 2-1 would be just fine, as long as the -1 wasn't to cheaters.

I do still think there's room for downward motion if we lose to the wrong teams. Not that I expect us to drop any "should win" games. But I'm not willing to count chickens, yet, either. Let's take care of business, and the seeds will come to us.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Big ACC game tonight with VT @ State. If the Wolfpack have hopes of hosting a tourney opener, they need to win tonight. Talk about a tough schedule, they are facing a gauntlet to end the regular season.
    VT tonight, with the Heels, a game at Duke, and yet another game in the Hokies house all in the next three weeks. Lose tonight, that makes getting back into the top 16 again by the end of the year very challenging, barring a deep ACCT run.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Quite right, of course. And yes, 2-1 would be just fine, as long as the -1 wasn't to cheaters.

I do still think there's room for downward motion if we lose to the wrong teams. Not that I expect us to drop any "should win" games. But I'm not willing to count chickens, yet, either. Let's take care of business, and the seeds will come to us.
    Duke was down by as much as 24 early in the 4th Quarter against FSU before they snapped out of the funk and lost by only 13. Good defense reduces the likliehood of a clunker but with a mediocre offense it could happen. Duke has had things go their way in a number of games so the law of averages could catch up. Perhaps its more skill than luck as this team seems to find different ways to win. In any event, they need to stay hungry, humble and disciplined.

yeah the ACC is good, but ND/NCSU/UL aren't in that upper echelon this year. Heck, uconn barely is sans Fudd and Ducharme.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    State gets stomped pretty good at home by the Hokies, 73-61. I don't see them climbing back into the rankings high enough to be given a top 16 seed, unless they pull off a great ACC tourney run. They likely will only have a single bye, though, so making that run will be a daunting task.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Charlie still has Duke as a third seed (I'm on board with that), but sends us back to the Greenville regional, and gives us back our automatic qualifier.

Woeful of late NC State drops to a 6 seed. As I posted above, their hosting dreams are toast; they needed last night.

If Duke Men's BB has got you feeling a little ill, Duke Women's BB is your cure. There's much to like.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    If Duke Men's BB has got you feeling a little ill, Duke Women's BB is your cure. There's much to like.
    And don't forget our superb men's lacrosse team - they play High Point at 7 tonight.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    And don't forget our superb men's lacrosse team - they play High Point at 7 tonight.
    And Softball (44-11 last year) which begins on Thursday.

Maybe Coach Lawson should hire Dyson Williams as a shooting coach for the bigs. He’s 6-9 so far tonight.

Still no love from the coaches. They have us below both Notre Dame and Virginia Tech even though we have beat both of them and sit alone atop the ACC. Virginia Tech has 2 losses to unranked teams, we have none.

And I'm still waiting for the Duke Baseball 2023 thread to be renamed Duke/ACC/National Baseball 2023, and 2023 Duke Lacrosse to be renamed 2023 Duke/ACC/National Lacrosse.

Still waiting...

Still waiting...

What a bunch of hooey.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Still no love from the coaches. They have us below both Notre Dame and Virginia Tech even though we have beat both of them and sit alone atop the ACC. Virginia Tech has 2 losses to unranked teams, we have none.
    DWBB moved from 15 to 11 in the coaches poll. I call that good progress! Just keep winning and it won't matter.

Article on WRAL about the three Triangle teams. (And how Duke is sitting on top.)

Duke’s Kara Lawson and North Carolina’s Courtney Banghart have spent their short tenures building programs back to national relevance. North Carolina State’s Wes Moore is leading the three-time reigning Atlantic Coast Conference champion.

All of them are in the same area code.

This always-competitive market looks tougher than usual with the Blue Devils’ rising to No. 9, marking the second time since 2000 that all three have cracked the top 10 of the AP Top 25 in the same season.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-t...lina/20710296/

South Carolina and LSU, the last two undefeated teams, face each other on Sunday. I think the Tigers are going to be exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    South Carolina and LSU, the last two undefeated teams, face each other on Sunday. I think the Tigers are going to be exposed.
    LSU’s schedule profile is hilarious. They’ve played four quad 1 opponents all year! As a major conference team!

Hard to believe in.

Marquette (!) gets its first-ever win over UConn. Huskies lose back-to-back games for the first time since March 1993.

Marquette (!) gets its first-ever win over UConn. Huskies lose back-to-back games for the first time since March 1993.
    Yeah, that's unexpected. They haven't lost back-to-back games since Bill Clinton was president...in his first year in office. Michael Jordan and Troy Aikmen were still playing, Tom Brady was still in high school, and the WNBA did not exist. It's been a minute.

There's another big game tonight, with #2 IU vs #5 Iowa. Regardless of who wins these games, there's going to be some top 10 shuffling.