Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ha! The begattins! Also I recognize 0% of those.

Let's see...

Earliest musical memories are easy enough: Brahms Symphony No. 2 (Boston Symphony, Leinsdorf). Here's the exact recording on YouTube, if you really are that interested. After that, it gets difficult to keep short. I'll try.

In late elementary and early middle school, it was mostly folk, but Johnny Rivers' Slow Dancin' expressed my first notions of the opposite sex. My classical music preferences remained solidly in the romantics (also?), from mid-Beethoven through early Mahler, and Mahler's 1st Symphony became (and still is) my all-time favorite work. Here's the last movement of the recording I knew most about. (This version is not considered one of the best by the cognoscenti, but what do they know?)

In high school, my classical tastes began to widen into the post-romantics, but remained mostly tonal: late Mahler, Wagner, Copland, Stravinsky. The Firebird remains one of my favorites from this era. My popular musical tastes blew up, too, and I made my first-ever mix tapes, which I have since re-created in digital form. Everything from Herb Alpert's 1980, to Devo's Whip It.

In college, my classical tastes grew even wider, extending into the weird, including this. Don't say you weren't warned. And, yes, I chose that recording because I am in it, though playing an assortment of percussion parts, rather than timpani. I started gigging in college, too. I also met my wife-to-be in college, and she expanded my musical palate in the other direction, learning to embrace Mozart backward through Bach and into the Renaissance. Speaking of which, a different friend introduced me to a different Renaissance, as well as to the Alan Parsons Project. And my suite mate behind the wall next to my bed inadvertently introduced me to a genre of music I had previously avoided, but learned to embrace with enough exposure, and the album seemed appropriate, too, given that I literally heard the sounds behind my wall decorations.

My wedding included this in the ceremony, and this at the reception.

Since then, the circle just keeps widening, and my permanent collection includes classical pieces composed from literally the dark ages through the 21st century, voacl music in 18 different languages, and pop music from country, to sea shanties, to heavy metal, to soft rock, everything in between. About the only thing I don't dabble in is hip-hop/rap. Picking out a single soundtrack is tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Let's see...

Earliest musical memories are easy enough: Brahms Symphony No. 2 (Boston Symphony, Leinsdorf). Here's the exact recording on YouTube, if you really are that interested. After that, it gets difficult to keep short. I'll try.

In late elementary and early middle school, it was mostly folk, but Johnny Rivers' Slow Dancin' expressed my first notions of the opposite sex. My classical music preferences remained solidly in the romantics (also?), from mid-Beethoven through early Mahler, and Mahler's 1st Symphony became (and still is) my all-time favorite work. Here's the last movement of the recording I knew most about. (This version is not considered one of the best by the cognoscenti, but what do they know?)

In high school, my classical tastes began to widen into the post-romantics, but remained mostly tonal: late Mahler, Wagner, Copland, Stravinsky. The Firebird remains one of my favorites from this era. My popular musical tastes blew up, too, and I made my first-ever mix tapes, which I have since re-created in digital form. Everything from Herb Alpert's 1980, to Devo's Whip It.

In college, my classical tastes grew even wider, extending into the weird, including this. Don't say you weren't warned. And, yes, I chose that recording because I am in it, though playing an assortment of percussion parts, rather than timpani. I started gigging in college, too. I also met my wife-to-be in college, and she expanded my musical palate in the other direction, learning to embrace Mozart backward through Bach and into the Renaissance. Speaking of which, a different friend introduced me to a different Renaissance, as well as to the Alan Parsons Project. And my suite mate behind the wall next to my bed inadvertently introduced me to a genre of music I had previously avoided, but learned to embrace with enough exposure, and the album seemed appropriate, too, given that I literally heard the sounds behind my wall decorations.

Since then, the circle just keeps widening, and my permanent collection includes classical pieces composed from literally the dark ages through the 21st century, voacl music in 18 different languages, and pop music from country, to sea shanties, to heavy metal, to soft rock, everything in between. About the only thing I don't dabble in is hip-hop/rap. Picking out a single soundtrack is tricky.
    This is an amazing post Predd. This is absolutely fascinating as someone for whom 90% of the classical music to which I have been exposed came from Looney Tunes. Thank you for sharing this. Also thanks to Bundabergdevil for starting this. I know we haven't been the same since that turkey thread last year, but I am finally ready to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Ha! The begattins! Also I recognize 0% of those.
    You are kidding, right? All of those except for Air Force are legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You are kidding, right? All of those except for Air Force are legendary.
    I have heard of Cream. Unaware of any of their songs. The others I have never even heard of. Definitely not kidding.

Let's see...

Your earliest musical memory was Brahms and mine was New Kids On the Block. Talk about a post that made me feel like a slack-jawed yokel! Hah!

Blind Faith (Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Ric Grech)

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Your earliest musical memory was Brahms and mine was New Kids On the Block. Talk about a post that made me feel like a slack-jawed yokel! Hah!
    It's a misconception. People are exposed to things in different ways, so they grow to enjoy different things. The only thing to be admired is growth you've chosen, and musically, I think I've done much to be proud of. If I could only embrace rap, but despite my best attempts, I just can't seem to adopt it.

It's a misconception. People are exposed to things in different ways, so they grow to enjoy different things. The only thing to be admired is growth you've chosen, and musically, I think I've done much to be proud of. If I could only embrace rap, but despite my best attempts, I just can't seem to adopt it.
    I saw NWA at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem when I was 15 and playing AAU basketball with the Charlotte Royals many years ago. But I was already a LL Cool J fan. But I grew up on the mean streets of Mt Airy, so I was destined to be a rap fan.

I saw NWA at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem when I was 15 and playing AAU basketball with the Charlotte Royals many years ago. But I was already a LL Cool J fan. But I grew up on the mean streets of Mt Airy, so I was destined to be a rap fan.
    LL Cool J is from my neck of the woods - Queens NYC.

Blind Faith (Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Ric Grech)
    Wish they had produced more than one record. “In the presence of the Lord”. “Had to Cry Today”

Help!, She Loves You, and I Want to Hold Your Hand. Huge hits, and one of my earliest musical memories.

Batman tv theme song. The sound of my third grade or so. We sang it all the time on the playground.

One is the Loneliest Number, by Three Dog Night. First concert I ever attended, maybe fourth or fifth grade.

Temptation Eyes. Favorite of fifth grade.

Sugar, Sugar. Silly song that reminds me of maybe sixth grade?

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree. 7th or 8th grade. Ubiquitous.

Run, Run, Run by JoJo Gun. Signs.
    LaGrange, by ZZ Top. My high school years.

The album Meat is Murder by the Smiths, along with Faith and 17 Seconds by The Cure were the soundtrack of my college years.

Radio Free Europe, in fact the entire Murmur album;the soundtrack of my medical school, along with Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil.

Sober by Tool, the soundtrack of my first years out of residency.

The entire Nevermind album by Nirvana along with Soundgarden's first album was the soundtrack of my early marriage.

Hey, Man, Nice Shot by Filter, the song of my fellowship.

I will stop there. Favorite band of all time is The Smiths.
    The Grass Roots are one of my favorite bands ever.

I’m stuck in the 60s for my music, I guess. (Mid to late)

I have heard of Cream. Unaware of any of their songs. The others I have never even heard of. Definitely not kidding.
    Cream's most well known tune is probably 'Sunshine of Your Love,' and unless you grew up on Mars or are younger than about thirty, it's a fair bet you know the song.

Cream's most well known tune is probably 'Sunshine of Your Love,' and unless you grew up on Mars or are younger than about thirty, it's a fair bet you know the song.
    I listened and I had heard that. Also classic rock sucks and I am absolutely convinced none of you actually like it and only say you do because it is considered cool.

I listened and I had heard that. Also classic rock sucks and I am absolutely convinced none of you actually like it and only say you do because it is considered cool.
    Turkey.

Turkey.
    Hahaha! Brilliant! In my vast compendium of stupid hot takes, the music one is a doozy.

I prefer “Tales of Brave Ulysses” myself.
    Last edited by duke74; 12-31-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I prefer “Tale of Brave Ulysses” myself.
    White Room.

I prefer “Tales of Brave Ulysses”, myself.

The Tams