Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Wait, what!? ND wins in OT and Kevin Corrigan...smiles!!!

Unbelievable finish by ND!
    But I hope we see the ND that played 90% of second half, and not the team that played the last 3 minutes.

Duke bring your A+ Game Monday
    Don’t leave anything on the field

To answer the earlier question about fan support, Penn St fans out numbered Duke, UVA and ND combined and it wasn’t close. In the second game the ND fans came out in pretty good numbers. Must have been tailgating during the Duke game. Based on what I saw, I would say ND will have the crowd advantage on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    To answer the earlier question about fan support, Penn St fans out numbered Duke, UVA and ND combined and it wasn’t close. In the second game the ND fans came out in pretty good numbers. Must have been tailgating during the Duke game. Based on what I saw, I would say ND will have the crowd advantage on Monday.
    I think that is an accurate assessment to begin with and the controversial call to end our game will have every nonDuke fan rooting against us on Monday.

All the more reason to be the villain and the National Champion in NCAA Lacrosse. Got to go on the field and take care of business. It will be incredibly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    All the more reason to be the villain and the National Champion in NCAA Lacrosse. Got to go on the field and take care of business. It will be incredibly difficult.
    No question tough. No question possible!

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    I think that is an accurate assessment to begin with and the controversial call to end our game will have every nonDuke fan rooting against us on Monday.
    Well, I like how this matchup ended last time in the NCAA finals. LGD!

Tale of two halves: Naso 9-18 in the first half, 13-17 thereafter. Helped offset a minus-3 turnover margin after halftime.

GBs were 19-15 in favor of Penn State in the first half, 18-13 in favor of Duke thereafter.

Our shorties did not have their best game: only four GBs and no CTs. They will need to be better.

Statistically it looks like Helm had a bad day, but I think the reality is that the defense left him in the lurch far too many times. 13 of Penn State’s 15 goals were assisted; they had far too many wide-open looks.

The bottom line is that Duke is playing tomorrow, and Penn State is turning in their equipment.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 05-28-2023 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Tale of two halves: Naso 9-18 in the first half, 13-17 thereafter. Helped offset a minus-3 turnover margin after halftime.

GBs were 19-15 in favor of Penn State in the first half, 18-13 in favor of Duke thereafter.

Our shorties did not have their best game: only four GBs and no CTs. They will need to be better.

Statistically it looks like Helm had a bad day, but I think the reality is that the defense left him in the lurch far too many times. 13 of Penn State’s 15 goals were assisted; they had far too many wide-open looks.

The bottom line is that Duke is playing tomorrow, and Penn State is turning in their equipment.
    In the Inside Lacrosse article, Danowski said he wanted to pull Helm at the half in favor of Bonafede, but his assistant coaches outvoted him. He was obviously not thrilled with Helm's play...let's hope Helm bounces back...(he did face too many open looks, but he just wasn't impressive).

We need some education. What is the purpose of the long poles, who uses them and what are the advantages and disadvantages of using one? Neophytes want to know!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We need some education. What is the purpose of the long poles, who uses them and what are the advantages and disadvantages of using one? Neophytes want to know!
    Great question.

Defensive players use long poles. A long pole gives more range in terms of defending as you can keep a stick on a attackman from further away, plus you have more range for scooping the ball up off the ground. The downside of a long pole is that it is harder to control the ball with it, so this is why attacks want a shorter pole - they need accuracy, particularly for shooting. Which is also why it is particularly exciting when a long pole scores a goal - not easy to do.

You are allowed four long poles on the field at a time. Usually the three defensemen have them (stepping back - you must have three players in the offensive zone and four players (usually three plus the goalie though rarely a goalie will come forward and a middie will hang back)). When a team is on attack, since there is subbing on the fly, they will try to have their three attacks and three offensive-minded middies with short sticks. When play transitions to the other end of the field, the team will try to sub out their offensive mid unit and bring in more defensive-minded mids, one of whom will have a long pole (who is often referred to as an LSM (long-stick middie) or LSDM (long-stick defensive middie).

You want your long poles on the best offensive players. Usually this will be the three attacks and then a strategic decision about which attacking middie merits a pole. However, with slides (switching on defense) the intended matchups get adjusted so you can end up with a short stick (sometimes called a shortie).

Hope this helps. I tried to keep it in as plain English as possible - as a former Chronicle lax writer, I get annoyed by overboard use of lax-bro terminology as I tried to keep my writing accessible for those less-familiar with the game - the ESPN announcers tend to do a pretty good job on this. Enjoy the game tomorrow. Go Duke!

Frizzoli more than likely scores on that ridiculous double swim move yesterday had he not had a long pole. It was still a highlight anyway despite the missed shot, at least for me.

After watching the replay, Leadmon's foot was in shadow and also screened from behind by the Penn State defender. The officials seemingly had no occasion to request a review, which I assume they could have asked for. It's not the NFL, where reviews at the end are automatic. This post is more of a question than a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    After watching the replay, Leadmon's foot was in shadow and also screened from behind by the Penn State defender. The officials seemingly had no occasion to request a review, which I assume they could have asked for. It's not the NFL, where reviews at the end are automatic. This post is more of a question than a conclusion.
    I actually think there could not have been a review per the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sometimes, you just can’t see everything

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Frizzoli more than likely scores on that ridiculous double swim move yesterday had he not had a long pole. It was still a highlight anyway despite the missed shot, at least for me.
    If Will had canned that, it would have been game over. All polegoals are momentum-shifters, and that would have been just enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    I’m a firm believer in the theory that bad calls even out in the long run, and I think Dyson’s goal that was waved off should have counted. There were also a number of arguable pushes and holds on faceoffs that weren’t called.

Game time is 1pm ET on Monday for those unaware. High of 82 and partly cloudy for the weather forecast. Let's go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    A rub of the green.