2023-24 Captains Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    In the social media video from the opening practice, Scheyer says, "We named the 3 of you captain..." but we don't see who is being addressed. What do we think?

I assume it's among Roach, Young, Flip, Mitchell and Proctor. I don't see Blakes getting the nod due to lack of PT but maybe I am wrong.
    Roach, Young, Proctor...no Flip.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Making this its own thread... the captains are Ryan, Jeremy, and Tyrese! https://x.com/DukeMBB/status/1707823811880693984?s=20

The first two were I think what we all expected. The third is a bit surprising, not as a slight to Tyrese, but that it wasn't junior Jaylen Blakes. I'm viewing that as a positive that Tyrese is really taking the next step towards being the vocal leader that you want out of your point guard... and I have a feeling Jaylen will still be leading the team through example by his effort all year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Making this its own thread... the captains are Ryan, Jeremy, and Tyrese! https://x.com/DukeMBB/status/1707823811880693984?s=20

The first two were I think what we all expected. The third is a bit surprising, not as a slight to Tyrese, but that it wasn't junior Jaylen Blakes. I'm viewing that as a positive that Tyrese is really taking the next step towards being the vocal leader that you want out of your point guard... and I have a feeling Jaylen will still be leading the team through example by his effort all year.
    I'm no expert and certainly not an "insider" - but is it a bit surprising that Flip is not a captain, as noted above? Why Tyrese over him as a captain? Both key sophs.

Not a Problem with choices, but...

I wonder what message, if any, those choices sent to Filipowski...

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I'm no expert and certainly not an "insider" - but is it a bit surprising that Flip is not a captain, as noted above? Why Tyrese over him as a captain? Both key sophs.
    I agree. And Mitchell to a lesser extent. If it was just Roach and/or Young, I would 100% get it. Also if Blakes was in there. But having 1 soph without the other two is interesting (though you can't really have 4 or 5 captains). The point guard is usually seen as "the coach on the floor" but though Proctor will likely be initiating the offense more, I thought Roach had this covered.

Likely a big nothing burger but I also noticed it. And everything the program does is usually extremely well thought out and purposeful.

Very happy for Ryan - well earned and deserved.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Of course we don't know how players conduct themselves on a daily basis, but this also could be a push for Tyrese to become more assertive as a communicator with his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    Of course we don't know how players conduct themselves on a daily basis, but this also could be a push for Tyrese to become more assertive as a communicator with his teammates.
    Or a recognition that he already is.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

There are a few videos for Duke Media Day available on YouTube. Here is Coach Scheyer's press conference.

At about the 1:10 mark:

"Proud of our three captains. I'm naming Jeremy, Tyrese, and Ryan captains. We voted on it; I let each of our players vote, and then also there's consensus from our staff as well. So when you get the support of your teammates, in addition to something that your coaches want, it's more meaningful. I think "captain" is something that's not... I think it's thrown around these days, who's a captain, who's not, but it's actually meaningful. It's been something meaningful in our program for a long time. I remember myself, when I was named captain, there was a big deal to me.

You think about Jeremy's experience, being a senior, going to the Final Four, going through some of the trials and tribulations since he's been here. I think that experience will be really important. Ryan's probably our most vocal person on the team. You know, his voice -- you can ask any of our players -- his voice carries a lot of weight, when you think about on the court or off the court. And then Tyrese has been the guy on the floor really being more vocal. He's probably the most demonstrative, in terms of challenging other players in the team, like he's not afraid to say anything to anybody, and that's needed."

That account (Spectacular Magazine) also has interviews with Tyrese Proctor, Jeremy Roach, and Jared McCain.

Mark Watson also has videos posted. The one for Jeremy Roach is probably about the same, just from a different angle. There are also longer videos of Tyrese Proctor (two video links there) and Jared McCain, plus ones with Mark Mitchell and Kyle Filipowski. And there's just over a minute of practice video, with no sound.