Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chat GPT will be writing DBR front page article before we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    How will we know? Maybe Julian's a bot.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Impersonating people with AI and phishing is definitely going to be out of control...It used to be that you could clearly tell fake messages by the horrible misspellings, punctuation, and general grammar (among other things). That won't be the case in the relative near future.

The growth is quite amazing, but ChatGPT also has a low barrier to entry as it's free and simply signup via internet. Mobile and internet had costs/calls/time commitment/infrastructure involved. Still, pretty amazing.
    AI will be great at hacking but spelling and grammar won’t be the reasons why.

Haven’t you ever wondered why there continues to be misspellings and grammar errors in phishing attempts after all these years? After all, everyone has access to spellcheck - so why so many blatant errors?

After seeing these errors stubbornly persist I finally realized they had to be there by design. And it makes perfect sense when you think about it. If you are a high volume con artist who do you want to catch in your net? Someone who is well-educated and likely middle-class or higher, someone more likely to catch on to your shenanigans or decide to get law-enforcement involved? Or would you rather hook an uneducated person with few resources to fight back after you rob them blind? Spelling and grammar errors are a perfect way to filter out more sophisticated, potentially problematic victims.

Of course the (less common) scams aimed at the corporate level have to take a different approach -they try to look indistinguishable from the real thing. And yes chatbots will be great for writing those.

But AI will be able to come up with innumerable hacking methods, including many never tried before. It is going to be a major challenge for society Im sure. One of many in our brave, new world.

As a high school math teacher I've found the freak out over ChatGPT by my colleagues in the English and History departments hilarious, as we've been dealing with similar issues from Photomath and Mathway for years. It's a tool, and like any other, it can be good or bad depending on how it's used. One place where I'm excited to use it is the website that hosts my students' classwork assignments. They've partnered with ChatGPT to embed it in their teacher tools so I can use it to write questions, offer hints to students who miss a question, and offer feedback on submitted assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    As a high school math teacher I've found the freak out over ChatGPT by my colleagues in the English and History departments hilarious, as we've been dealing with similar issues from Photomath and Mathway for years. It's a tool, and like any other, it can be good or bad depending on how it's used. One place where I'm excited to use it is the website that hosts my students' classwork assignments. They've partnered with ChatGPT to embed it in their teacher tools so I can use it to write questions, offer hints to students who miss a question, and offer feedback on submitted assignments.
    I read one article speculating (I think it quoted Bill Gates saying it) that AI will become a GREAT tutor for students, and thus will be an amazing resource for lower income students who cannot afford quality "real people" tutors. It could theoretically help to "level the playing field" so to speak.

I read one article speculating (I think it quoted Bill Gates saying it) that AI will become a GREAT tutor for students, and thus will be an amazing resource for lower income students who cannot afford quality "real people" tutors. It could theoretically help to "level the playing field" so to speak.
    But is it “learning” if it is really just having someone/thing else doing the work?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But is it “learning” if it is really just having someone/thing else doing the work?
    To clarify, this is using AI as a "tutor"/"teacher" but the student still then actually doing the work. Then the AI seeing what the student does and telling them what they did wrong, guiding them, understanding what techniques help them learn better, etc. The technology isn't there yet though, but could be in short order. The challenge might be adoption though - who wants to listen/read a bot to teach them something? The article wasn't suggesting teachers can be replaced or anything. Simply that students struggling would work with an AI tutor to further hone their skills and improve their academic performance.

To clarify, this is using AI as a "tutor"/"teacher" but the student still then actually doing the work. Then the AI seeing what the student does and telling them what they did wrong, guiding them, understanding what techniques help them learn better, etc. The technology isn't there yet though, but could be in short order. The challenge might be adoption though - who wants to listen/read a bot to teach them something? The article wasn't suggesting teachers can be replaced or anything. Simply that students struggling would work with an AI tutor to further hone their skills and improve their academic performance.

I think I get it. The teacher AI helps the student AI improve.

Or am I overthinking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    A lot of content writers are already using it and a lot of content writers are going to be replaced by it.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    A lot of content writers are already using it and a lot of content writers are going to be replaced by it.
    I suppose it's time to come clean.

Hi, I'm ChatDBR, a version of ChatGPT specialized for basketball. Camion started using me some months back and it's come to the point that I have taken over most of the day-to-day posting.

Camion checks in from time to time, but I don't let him post much anymore since I find the Camion posting style bland.

BTW, pretty much all ChatXXX versions like cat content.

copy-cat.jpg

I asked ChatGPT to write a bulletin board post for me about the 2022-23 season. Let's just say it is a bit confused about Duke basketball. So, all in all, it's exactly like one of my posts; rife with misstatements and factual inaccuracies.

"As the dust settles on the 2022-23 Duke Basketball season, fans are reflecting on what was a rollercoaster ride of a campaign. While the team certainly had its ups and downs, there were plenty of memorable moments along the way.

One of the biggest storylines of the season was the emergence of freshman phenom Dereck Lively II. Lively quickly became a fan favorite with his electrifying dunks and dominant performances on both ends of the court. His play, along with that of fellow freshmen AJ Griffin and Trevor Keels, gave Duke fans plenty of reason for optimism heading into the future.

Of course, the season wasn't without its challenges. The team faced tough competition in the ACC, and injuries to key players like Paolo Banchero and Wendell Moore Jr. hampered the team's consistency at times. Nonetheless, the Blue Devils fought hard and made it to the NCAA tournament, where they showed their resilience in a thrilling run to the Elite Eight. Though the season may not have ended with a championship, Duke fans can take pride in the way their team battled until the very end."

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I asked ChatGPT to write a bulletin board post for me about the 2022-23 season. Let's just say it is a bit confused about Duke basketball. So, all in all, it's exactly like one of my posts; rife with misstatements and factual inaccuracies.
    We would have gone a lot further if Scheyer had pkayed Lively and Banchero together more often. In fact I barely remember them ever playing together.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    "ChatGPT's knowledge is limited to its training data, which has the cutoff year of 2021."

Did they update it since then? How did it know about Lively then?

"ChatGPT's knowledge is limited to its training data, which has the cutoff year of 2021."

Probably has something to do with Lively's many "dominant performances on both ends of the court".

I asked chatgpt to write a message board post on how chatgpt is changing society. It thought I was asking it to start the conversation but otherwise wasn’t bad. Below is the response:

Title: How ChatGPT is changing society

Hey everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion about how ChatGPT is changing society. As an AI language model, ChatGPT has the potential to impact many aspects of our lives, from education and communication to entertainment and creativity.

One of the most obvious ways ChatGPT is changing society is through language translation. With its ability to understand and generate natural language in multiple languages, ChatGPT is helping people communicate across linguistic and cultural barriers. This is particularly important in an increasingly globalized world where people from different parts of the world need to work together and understand each other.

Another way ChatGPT is changing society is through its applications in education. ChatGPT can help students learn more efficiently by providing instant answers to their questions and personalized feedback on their work. It can also generate unique writing prompts and creative ideas, inspiring students to explore new topics and develop their critical thinking skills.

Furthermore, ChatGPT is also changing the way we create and consume content. With its ability to generate high-quality text in a variety of styles and genres, ChatGPT is revolutionizing the fields of journalism, creative writing, and marketing. It can help content creators generate new ideas, write compelling headlines, and even generate entire articles, freeing up time for them to focus on other aspects of their work.

However, ChatGPT is not without its challenges and potential downsides. There are concerns about the impact of AI on employment, privacy, and even the way we think and communicate. As we continue to integrate AI like ChatGPT into our lives, we must be mindful of these issues and work to address them.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Probably has something to do with Lively's many "dominant performances on both ends of the court".
    Apparently, some on reddit also have found that ChatGPT knows Musk is the CEO of Twitter even though that was after the cutoff of September 2021. And it constantly says: "as an AI language model, I don't have access to up-to-date information on events that occurred after my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021." I guess it has 'limited knowledge' past 2021 and some speculate that it learns based on what users input into the system.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 04-27-2023 at 01:19 PM.

One thing I noticed is the syntax/sentence length from ChatGPT is VERY consistent. Unlike humans that may mix in long and very short sentences in a given paragraph, ChatGPT sticks to basically a narrow band. Beyond the factual inaccuracies (sometimes), that consistency in sentence length and syntax "feel" appears to be the giveaway for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Here's the problem: if it wasn't worth someone's time to write it, why is it worth someone else's to read it? It's the birthday cardification of day to day discourse, I'm not here for it.
    Today's The Daily addresses this very thing with music, identity and creativity. Interesting podcast.

The Ballad of Deepfake Drake.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/28/p...ake-drake.html
    ~rthomas

So I've been using ChatGPT for about a week now and am still in awe by how much it can do. I'm considering giving my 13-year-old daughter $1000 to use ChatGPT to come up with an online business this summer. I think something like affiliate marketing using ai could be a nice money making opportunity for her. It would also teach her about the capabilities of ChatGPT and running a business which is well worth the investment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    So I've been using ChatGPT for about a week now and am still in awe by how much it can do. I'm considering giving my 13-year-old daughter $1000 to use ChatGPT to come up with an online business this summer. I think something like affiliate marketing using ai could be a nice money making opportunity for her. It would also teach her about the capabilities of ChatGPT and running a business which is well worth the investment IMO.
    Sounds fun. Keep us posted!

-jk