Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Thanks for referencing this article. I had never read it and, to me, it is the definitive Scheyer piece I have ever seen.

https://kdhnews.com/sports/college/h...1e7cefd07.html
    Billy Dat,
    Thanks so much for posting the link. I agree, it is the definitive Scheyer piece and somehow I’d missed it. Great read.
    Cheers-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Steven’s excuse for watching a massive amount of NBA?
    Ha, I wish! My daughter just graduated from college and moved to NYC in August for medical school. Prior to that she had been living at home since her college is literally 5 min from our house. During high school and college she and my wife would watch tv shows — which freed me up to go to the theater room and watch sports to my heart’s content.

My son, who moved to Boston last year for college, wasn’t wanting to use the theater room much since he was almost always in the music room practicing guitar, cello, violin, drums, bass, keyboards, etc. So I had it mostly to myself.

Anyway, now that our kids have moved out my wife and I watch shows together — Better Call Saul, The OA, Defending Jacob, Barry, WeCrashed, Mad Men, etc. — but almost never sports. The only sports she’ll watch with me are the tennis majors 🎾 and the Super Bowl.

At least I go to most of the games at Cameron. And I read a lot about the NBA and listen to NBA podcasts. That’s mainly how I keep up with basketball.

Steven, thanks for warning me about my future. My daughter (IIRC, you really love her name) is in the 9th grade, so, my days are definitely numbered. I’m sure she will leave town (probably, the state) for college.

I almost forgot. I'm proud of our players and coaching staff. When I saw that Roger Ayers (unc fan) was one of the referees in this game, I thought there was no way we could win this game. I'm glad our guys overcame the Buckeyes and Roger. I'm surprised weezie didn't notice it either.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The days of high-flyers like Zion Williamson and Cassius Stanley getting 2 or 3 spectacular dunks each game seem like a distant memory. It’s sad. 😞
    I think the day will come again. Duke just hasn't had a guy like that for a couple of years. I'm pretty sure they will again.

Back in the late 80s, the game was much more physical, yet we still saw this against one of the more physical teams of the day:

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The days of high-flyers like Zion Williamson and Cassius Stanley getting 2 or 3 spectacular dunks each game seem like a distant memory. It’s sad. 😞
    It may seem like a long time ago, but "those days" were only three/four years ago. I don't think the game has changed that much since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It may seem like a long time ago, but "those days" were only three/four years ago. I don't think the game has changed that much since then.
    I didn’t say the game has changed in an overall sense. I was referring specifically to the fact that defenders these days go out of their way to blatantly foul a player who is likely going to get a dunk, even though it might hurt the defending team even more because of the resultant FTs and accumulated foul situation.

There just seems to be something psychological about giving up breakaway dunks. It didn’t used to be that way as much, at least that’s what I have observed.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I almost forgot. I'm proud of our players and coaching staff. When I saw that Roger Ayers (unc fan) was one of the referees in this game, I thought there was no way we could win this game. I'm glad our guys overcame the Buckeyes and Roger. I'm surprised weezie didn't notice it either.

GoDuke!
    Roger openly says all college basketball coaches Are control freaks. He should look in the mirror. Additionally Ron Groover not a big fan of Duke. Groover called the Tech on Roach and then called 3 seconds on Duke with 4 minutes to go in the game. The only 3 second call of the game !

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I was at the game and the officiating seemed pretty inconsistent. Lots of contact allowed in the first half and every touch was a foul in the second half. By halfway through the second half I had no idea what was and wasn't a foul. Must have been pretty hard for the players to know. OSU was called for more than Duke, so I don't think it was unfair to Duke, just not a well officiated game.
    All the Duke bigs were in foul trouble because of ticky tack fouls , especially Lively. The game was very inconsistently officiated . I agree with you the players weren’t sure what a foul or not . The two worst calls were the Tech on Roach and 3 seconds call in Duke with 4;minutes to go in the gam. Cmon this game isn’t junior high Basketball !

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    he flipped the ball back at the OSU player. That'll be a technical almost as easily as slamming it.
    It’s not a good Tech, talk to first. Next time it’s a Tech. Need better game management by the refs in my opinion.