Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Nice bounce-back win over a very physical opponent.

I thought the officiating was absolutely dreadful. I am not sure it hurt or helped Duke, but much of the game looked like the D-Day landing scene from Saving Private Ryan. I was a bit surprised to see that Tyrese had only one assist.
    I was at the game and the officiating seemed pretty inconsistent. Lots of contact allowed in the first half and every touch was a foul in the second half. By halfway through the second half I had no idea what was and wasn't a foul. Must have been pretty hard for the players to know. OSU was called for more than Duke, so I don't think it was unfair to Duke, just not a well officiated game.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    He looked like he was going to run up to the referee George Brett-style
    Fantastic reference! I agree the body language of the team has been good overall and especially as pertains to the refs. K always claimed to be a big proponent of body language but in recent years the players still seemed to gripe a lot. This was a physical game and for the most part the refs let them play but then randomly they would call little touch fouls or fouls for guys banging in the post which they do all game long. It's frustrating but I've just come to accept bad officiating as part of the game.

Tyrese Proctor's game sort of reminds me of Austin Rivers. Hopefully Tyrese will have as much fun in chapel hill

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Tyrese Proctor's game sort of reminds me of Austin Rivers. Hopefully Tyrese will have as much fun in chapel hill
    Scoring-wise yes, but I think Proctor has better vision and playmaking ability. Several times this season we've seen him drive the lane and then whip a pass to a guy open way on the other side of the court. Yesterday he had that really nice drop off to Young under the basket which he made look easy. We can't forget that he arrived on campus really late and has had limited time practice the team, so like Whitehead and Lively it will take him time to gel.

If the only games you had watched this season were Kansas, Purdue and OSU (which is a reasonable scenario for a non-Duke fan or even a non-die hard Duke fan) then you would likely view Proctor as a lottery pick. He's showed great flashes, just needs to be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I was at the game and the officiating seemed pretty inconsistent. Lots of contact allowed in the first half and every touch was a foul in the second half. By halfway through the second half I had no idea what was and wasn't a foul. Must have been pretty hard for the players to know. OSU was called for more than Duke, so I don't think it was unfair to Duke, just not a well officiated game.
    Agreed. Impossible to know what was a foul, and don't even get me started in block/charge calls! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OSU sped Duke up to start the game. Their game plan seemed to be that Duke had the size advantage, so they would speed the game up and spread Duke our in the halfcourt. It worked until Duke settled down. They started taking better care of the ball, and then the defense kicked in.

But this Duke team is not that comfortable playing hectic. That's something to watch for and hopefully our guards are prepped to calm things.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I don’t see the similarity at all. Rivers was a score first guard with an incredibly quick first step and decent athleticism. He was very confident and very ball dominant. He led the team in scoring as a freshman.

Proctor is a completely different player. He’s bigger, not as explosive off the dribble, but he’s definitely a pass first guy, and uses his smarts and craftiness to get it done.

Even though he isn’t scoring as much as rivers did as a freshman, I believe Proctor will become a much better NBA player in the long run. His game as a facilitator is much more suited to being a role player, which is what 90% of players in the NBA are. Rivers needs the ball in his hands, and he’s just not efficient enough to demand usage at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Minor thing I guess but Proctor has one of the smoothest shots I’ve seen. The net barely ripples on his makes.
    When he shoots free throws the ball generally is grazing off the back rim very lightly on its way through. Thus is what produces the little to no net rippling.

Dating myself, but I remember Sleepy Floyd did that often enough that when I was a kid we used to say 'Sleepy' or 'Sleepy Floyd' whenever we saw a free throw go through like that. He must have Sleepy'd at least three free throws last night.

His final free throw he 'JJ'd' (nothing but the bottom of the net, which generally causes a lot of net movement). They both count the same and are both cool, but I really like the Sleepy Floyd style.

still WAY too many turnovers....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    still WAY too many turnovers...
    For sure, though my memory says most of them happened in the first half and we did a much better job in the second, so that's at least a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    His demeanor is hard not to like. I read an article about him that explained he's being mentored on leadership by a retired Navy Seal commander. They told the story of how Scheyer was frustrated after his assistants didn't do what he had asked. His mentor told him he's being too damn nice. I don't want that to be a weakness for him. Eventually, he's going to need to tear into the team when they need a different type of motivation. I have seen him working the officials though, which is ultimately good. I think K's strategy was that he is going to be so relentless that the referees are subconsciously scared to hear from him, so they might wind up making calls in Duke's favor. I think Scheyer usually kills them with kindness and is agreeable, so that when he does express frustration, it carries so much more weight because you know he's not acting that way on every play.
    Thanks for referencing this article. I had never read it and, to me, it is the definitive Scheyer piece I have ever seen.

https://kdhnews.com/sports/college/h...1e7cefd07.html

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    When he shoots free throws the ball generally is grazing off the back rim very lightly on its way through. Thus is what produces the little to no net rippling.

Dating myself, but I remember Sleepy Floyd did that often enough that when I was a kid we used to say 'Sleepy' or 'Sleepy Floyd' whenever we saw a free throw go through like that. He must have Sleepy'd at least three free throws last night.

His final free throw he 'JJ'd' (nothing but the bottom of the net, which generally causes a lot of net movement). They both count the same and are both cool, but I really like the Sleepy Floyd style.
    Never heard it called that, but when a ball just brushes the back of the rim and has good back-spin it picks up speed and gets sucked into the basket with little net contact. It takes a very good shooter to do that consistently.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 12-01-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame when we have to root against the conference.
    What?!? You were rooting against an ACC team in The Challenge??

I refuse to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’m certainly guilty of underrating Young! I paid much more attention to him tonight and in Warren Zevon’s words, “Ain’t That Pretty At All”. Regardless, the man plays solid offense and may earn almost as much PT as he did last season. Given the extreme talent difference, in teams, I’m still somewhat confused how. Coach S clearly saw a great opportunity and is making the most of it. We may have hit the Coach lottery two consecutive times.
    IMHO, if we had him last year instead of Theo John (loved him as well), we had a very good chance of moving to the final.

I also loved Ryan's bending backwards grab of an offensive rebound which was really something.

What was up with We want Michigan chants?

Quote Originally Posted by evrim View Post
    What was up with We want Michigan chants?
    I think it was harkening back to the Michigan trouncing of OSU in football last week. Anything to get under their skin.

Hey I’m another guy who will admit to underestimating Young’s play against this level of competition. He was a warrior yesterday. And kept us afloat in the second half.

I’m still more bullish than most on Lively’s offense. I think he will be scoring 10+ ppg in 25 mpg here very soon. And hopefully pulling down 7-8 reb and 3 blocks. But if it’s a 25/15 split in minutes, I’m also feeling good about Young’s 15 min on the floor. Definitely an upgrade over Theo last year. And we may get him for another year!

Lively with 11 pts, 5 reb, 2 blocks in 18 min last night. I think that will be pretty typical of how he puts up points. Lobs, dishes, OR putbacks.

5 thoughts...

1. Another solid game from Flip. I think this board will grow used to it and expect it, kind of like Banchero was last year. At this point to me, the team goes as he goes. Other cogs in the machine are also important, of course.

2. Young played solid again. I think if people only looked at what he did at Northwestern, they didn't take into account that the players around him at Northwestern limited him. With the height and talent now, it's opened up his game. Dude will never, ever have a tomahawk jam. But as long as the ball drops through the net, a bucket is a bucket.

3. Roach played well, and he's the leader on this team. But I think he plays hero ball a few too many times. You can see he's going to drive and the ball is going up. Opponents scout and note tendencies. I know he's made some great driving layups before in big games, but kick it out a few times to mix it up.

4. The Crazies did seem in fine form. They are a factor and have to be a great recruiting tool. It always strikes me how quiet most other gyms are. I was watching the Clemson/Penn State that went 2OT, and there were so many times you could hear the ball bouncing, the coaches yelling, etc. during the overtimes.

5. You can see the talent in Whitehead. I'm glad the season has 4 more months, because I think it's still going to take some time for him to come back fully. And the staff is not going to push it - it would hurt his draft stock if he gets injured again. But by March, I think he will be locked in as a starter unless Mitchell also improves his game. Looking back, Maggette never started and was a first round NBA draft pick. All Whitehead has to do is show his talent and potential, and he's go high in the draft. But at some point the starting lineups going to be set. He may become the super sub.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Young played solid again. Dude will never, ever have a tomahawk jam. But as long as the ball drops through the net, a bucket is a bucket.
    I know you’re being sarcastic about Young doing a tomahawk dunk (or NOT doing one, actually), but it got me thinking. It seems these days that dunks — other than alley oops to big men and big men dunking after a rebound — are really hard to come by.

Nowadays defenders will blatantly foul a guy who is going for a dunk even though they know with certainty that they have no real play on the ball. They would rather do that — though it gives the offensive player two free throws and the defender gets a foul on his record and it adds to his team’s total fouls — than allow the dunk by an opponent who has clearly beaten them. And I hate it. I think it’s a chicken s#*% way to play the game.

The days of high-flyers like Zion Williamson and Cassius Stanley getting 2 or 3 spectacular dunks each game seem like a distant memory. It’s sad. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Young played solid again. I think if people only looked at what he did at Northwestern, they didn't take into account that the players around him at Northwestern limited him. With the height and talent now, it's opened up his game.
    Or, it’s possible Coach S is extremely gifted and had a vision and plan, in a very congested portal, that most coaches can’t see regardless of location?

C-well may have hit the ball out of the park when he told K that Jon was definitely the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The days of high-flyers like Zion Williamson and Cassius Stanley getting 2 or 3 spectacular dunks each game seem like a distant memory. It’s sad. 😞
    Steven’s excuse for watching a massive amount of NBA?