Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 81, Ohio State 72 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Really satisfying win against a quality opponent. Such a balanced performance, five guys in double figures (plus Grandison with 9) and everybody made contributions. We can see Lively and Whitehead continuing to make strides. Proctor with another great performance even though he did miss some close in shots. We had that stretch in the first half where we turned it over a ton and fell behind, but once we cleaned that up we took control. Also did a great job of creating turnovers on the other end against a team that usually protects the ball well. Free throws were excellent. The team responded well after that late push to cut the lead to 5 plus heavy foul trouble - Roach wasn't 100% but came up big in crunch time.

That's a Cameron win right there!

We controlled the game from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    We controlled the game from start to finish.
    I wouldn't go that far. We made a good run at the end of the first half to give us some breathing room. The second half was basically even. Despite both sides shooting more free throws than I like to see, we did a little better across the board in shooting and turnovers.

Very important to learn how to win ugly. That was a slog and teams, especially young teams, need to learn how to play in games like that.

Lively showed improvement, and Proctor continued the improvement he showed vs. Purdue. Young is such a valuable addition to this team. Roach knows it is his team and is playing like an upperclassman.

I'm glad that was in Cameron - not sure how it would have worked out in Columbus.

Fantastic win for the good guys tonight!

Go Duke!!!

Excellent bounce back win against a quality opponent. As others have said, we had contributions from many players in this one. Filipowski was in foul trouble and with him out, the team is definitely less effective. Still, he was in for 30 minutes so that is probably all we should expect from a big man anyway. He needs to avoid careless fouls.

I thought Proctor was very important to the win, not only hitting some important baskets, he was perfect from the foul line, acted as a play maker and was secure with the ball. Young was also very effective and he played with tenacity and spirit. With Filipowski an Lively out we needed to rely on him an his inside play.

Lively is a factor in our defense as only a mobile 7'1" guy can be. He hustled and was able to score off some nice passes. Roach has the quickness and handle to pick his spots scoring an contributed tonight.

While Grandison added 9 points and clearly Jon thinks he is ahead of Whitehead at this point, I did think he lacked the strength to keep players from posting him up and he made at least two bad turnovers that I wouldn't expect such an experienced player to make.

Let's hope players can build in this success going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Excellent win.

Ryan Young — not bad considering how much we overpraise him on this board (sorry, inside joke). In all seriousness, he continues to look like a great pickup for us and makes big plays whatever his limitations.

And... doesn't Ryan have one more year of eligibility... if I recall correctly? Imaging if he decides that Duke is the place for him. What a great backup he will be for all reasons... experience, maturity, and most of all tenacity every second he's on the court.

I like Duke’s offense at Cameron much better! Good effort not to let the lead ever get below 5. Nice win and much needed. We just need to get Whitehead up-to-speed and then see what this team is really capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    We just need to get Whitehead up-to-speed and then see what this team is really capable of doing.
    Whitehead again showed really nice flashes, but just couldn’t sustain it.

Thought we had our best interior passing in a long time. No one player stood out, but thought Flip played the best.

Excellent win.

Thought two of the biggest stretches for us were: 1) the end of the first half, where we finally gained some separation, and 2) the stretch in the second half where Flip and Lively both had four fouls, we entered the double bonus early and put them on the FT line a lot, and we had to survive Key and Sueing attacking the basket relentlessly. Surviving that stretch with a two possession lead was crucial, and Flip coming back in to give our offense a boost helped close things out.

Apart from the game being played at home, good simulation of a tournament game, having to deal with very inconsistent policing of the physicality leading to some questionable calls (not least the “technical” on Roach) and potentially fatal foul trouble on key players. The fact that we were able to play through the adversity is a very positive step forward in the development of this group.

Proctor had a weird shooting line (two big threes, comfortably made his FTs, but missed all five of his two pointers) but I’m enjoying seeing him continue to blossom. Though Roach had the ball for most of the closing minutes, Scheyer seems very comfortable trusting Tyrese with significant spells of directing the offense.

Interesting that Blakes really didn’t get many (any?) minutes in the second half after a good first half, we mostly ran with Grandison as part of a three guard lineup and played Young and either Mitchell or Flip down the stretch.

Ryan Young — not bad considering how much we overpraise him on this board (sorry, inside joke). In all seriousness, he continues to look like a great pickup for us and makes big plays whatever his limitations.

Liked that the offense featured more movement of our bigs and made it easier for our guards to find people open in the post and on back cuts. Nine assists in the first half is more than we’ve had in the entirety of every game against previous quality opponents, and 16 assists overall is fantastic. I really liked Lively’s performance today: his activity was fantastic despite the foul trouble and occasionally getting worked by OSU’s frontline.

Another highlight: 18 for 20 on free throws in the second half in an ultra physical game (weirdly, the only misses coming from Roach).

Good offensive showing despite only taking three (!) three pointers in the second half.and 13 overall. Whitehead had some highlights but is still very feast or famine with his decisions and general feel for the game. Good news is he can only get better, and so can our team.

Good offensive showing despite only taking three (!) three pointers in the second half.and 13 overall.
    I think there's something to be said for shooting fewer three pointers. Notably we also shot a high percentage against Xavier (5-11) and perusing our box scores we also went 6-14 against Delaware. A big exception was Bellarmine where we shot 14-35 (the only game in which we hit 40%+ at a high volume). Point being, we don't have the kind of lights out shooters who can jack up threes no matter what, we have to restrict ourselves to taking only good, open threes when they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think there's something to be said for shooting fewer three pointers. Notably we also shot a high percentage against Xavier (5-11) and perusing our box scores we also went 6-14 against Delaware. A big exception was Bellarmine where we shot 14-35 (the only game in which we hit 40%+ at a high volume). Point being, we don't have the kind of lights out shooters who can jack up threes no matter what, we have to restrict ourselves to taking only good, open threes when they are there.
    Yup I mentioned the other day, I think that will be the key stat. Less than 15 3-point attempts, you'll see mostly wins from Duke. More than 15 and approaching 20, it's going to be ugly.

Credit this win to Scheyer. I liked that Roach was playing off the ball in the first half. He kind of got lost, but he'll get used to it. Loved the constant attempts at pick and rolls for Lively to get going. By far his best game. He was disruptive on D at times and much more aggressive going for rebounds.

Whitehead has a pretty 3-point shot. High arching. Almost too high. I didn't like that he curled out for the 3 on the fast break but was glad he made it.

Mitchell is clearly the guy to get less minutes as time goes in. Nothing against him, but his ability to be strong and get to the rim appeared to only exist against inferior opponents.

We did a better job at making good decisions when penetrating into the lane. I saw less forced difficult layups, although, roach has 1 or 2. Roach had one step through that showed patience that I liked. Proctor had that great assist at the end of the shot clock.

Roach isn't an elite free throw shooter. He's our captain but I don't trust him to sink crucial free throws at the end of close games. Proctor and Flip are potentially elite. With Flip's killer mentality, he's the one I want taking those types of free throws. Also, forget the Laettner comparisons. He reminded me of Kevin Durant tonight.

The best part of the night - the recruit cheering with the crazies. I forget his name. He really seemed to get into it. It was fun seeing him do all the cheers. He was so easy to pick out in the crowd since he was a foot taller than everyone else and the only person wearing black clothes. I hope he comes to do. He looks like he has quite a likeable personality.

Only thing better than a duke win? A UNC loss. They might get a break in the rankings since they lost an away game to #10, but there's a chance that come Monday, UNC will have gone from the #1 team in the country to unranked ina matter of about a week and a half.

And yes, the Villanova shot against UNC was better than any Duke championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Yup I mentioned the other day, I think that will be the key stat. Less than 15 3-point attempts, you'll see mostly wins from Duke. More than 15 and approaching 20, it's going to be ugly.

Credit this win to Scheyer. I liked that Roach was playing off the ball in the first half. He kind of got lost, but he'll get used to it. Loved the constant attempts at pick and rolls for Lively to get going. By far his best game. He was disruptive on D at times and much more aggressive going for rebounds.

Whitehead has a pretty 3-point shot. High arching. Almost too high. I didn't like that he curled out for the 3 on the fast break but was glad he made it.

Mitchell is clearly the guy to get less minutes as time goes in. Nothing against him, but his ability to be strong and get to the rim appeared to only exist against inferior opponents.

We did a better job at making good decisions when penetrating into the lane. I saw less forced difficult layups, although, roach has 1 or 2. Roach had one step through that showed patience that I liked. Proctor had that great assist at the end of the shot clock.

Roach isn't an elite free throw shooter. He's our captain but I don't trust him to sink crucial free throws at the end of close games. Proctor and Flip are potentially elite. With Flip's killer mentality, he's the one I want taking those types of free throws. Also, forget the Laettner comparisons. He reminded me of Kevin Durant tonight.

The best part of the night - the recruit cheering with the crazies. I forget his name. He really seemed to get into it. It was fun seeing him do all the cheers. He was so easy to pick out in the crowd since he was a foot taller than everyone else and the only person wearing black clothes. I hope he comes to do. He looks like he has quite a likeable personality.

Only thing better than a duke win? A UNC loss. They might get a break in the rankings since they lost an away game to #10, but there's a chance that come Monday, UNC will have gone from the #1 team in the country to unranked ina matter of about a week and a half.

And yes, the Villanova shot against UNC was better than any Duke championship.
    Sorry if I missed it but who was the recruit?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Sorry if I missed it but who was the recruit?

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Evans-46116361/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if an offer is coming his way. Obviously, we've made more than a handful of offers so far for the 2024 class, namely Cunningham/Carter Bryant/Bryson Tucker. Some of the elder statesmen may be able to comment on this moreso than I, but it feels like the interest in Bryant may have cooled and he's looking elsewhere. So we'll see if anything materializes here.

The stats look better than I thought the game did.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 68.4 (not as slow as our past four games)
    oRtg: 1.18 (1.24 "adjusted," for what the adjustment is worth this time of year; excellent; equivalent of #1 offense in the land, again for what such ratings are worth in November)
    eFG%: 50.0% (decent)
    3pt%: 38.5% (good)
    2pt%: 47.6% (inadequate)
    %threes: 23.6% (a little low)
    FT rate: 54.5% (very muscular; our best free throw rate of the young season)
    OR%: 40.6% (great, after two clunkers in a row; though believe it or not, this actually brings our season average down)
    TO%: 19.0% (barely adequate)
    a/to: 1.23:1
    %assisted: 64.0% (good)
    fast break pts: 14 (17.3% of points; good)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.05 (0.91 "adjusted," for what the adjustment is worth this time of year; decent; equivalent of #20 defense in the country, again for what such ratings are worth in November)
    eFG%: 50.0% (meh)
    3pt%: 23.1% (good)
    2pt%: 54.8% (yuck)
    %threes: 23.1% (good)
    FT rate: 40.0% (terrible, our fifth poor FTR in six games)
    DR%: 63.6% (poor)
    TO%: 23.4% (outstanding)
    a/to: 0.38:1 (nice and low)
    %assisted: 23.1% (also nice and low)
    stl%: 13.2% (excellent)
    blk%: 4.8% (2pt shots) (not good)
    fast break pts: 16 (22.2% of points; very bad)

Our offense was very strong, especially our free throw rate, but we also shot our threes well and dominated the offensive boards. Our defense was a little iffy, especially our opposing free throw rate, defensive rebounding, and opponent's two-point%, though on the plus side we did force a lot of turnovers. Also, we shouldn't give up this many fast break points to a team with the #226 tempo.

I’m certainly guilty of underrating Young! I paid much more attention to him tonight and in Warren Zevon’s words, “Ain’t That Pretty At All”. Regardless, the man plays solid offense and may earn almost as much PT as he did last season. Given the extreme talent difference, in teams, I’m still somewhat confused how. Coach S clearly saw a great opportunity and is making the most of it. We may have hit the Coach lottery two consecutive times.