Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think Phredd3 was alluding to the fact that the other DBR poster said "one year at Duke" and the repliea all seemed to be "here are good players who we remember" irrespective of being OAD.
    Nope, they were top 5 recruits who were successful at Duke and in the NBA (barring career ending injuries). Three were OADs but I could add to the top 5/OAD list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Johnny Dawkins
    Danny Ferry
    Christian Laettner
    Bobby Hurley
    Grant Hill
    Corey Maggette
    Elton Brand
    Jay Williams
    Carlos Boozer
    Luol Deng
    Kyrie Irving
    Nope, they were top 5 recruits who were successful at Duke and in the NBA (barring career ending injuries). Three were OADs but I could add to the top 5/OAD list.
    yep, that is the disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    yep, that is the disconnect.
    The OP also stated “who are ranked within the top 5 nationally coming out of high school and who then go on to play like future NBA All-Stars”.

IMO, high school rankings have actually improved during the OAD era.

What? Steven43 said "in their one season at Duke" when initially discussing Paolo and Zion.

Am I taking crazy pills?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If nothing else I’m thinking these past five seasons have shown us that players like Zion Williamson and Paolo Banchero — who are ranked within the top 5 nationally coming out of high school and who then go on to play like future NBA All-Stars during their one season at Duke — are pretty rare indeed.
    Nope. No crazy pills.
    Let's go Duke!

What? Steven43 said "in their one season at Duke" when initially discussing Paolo and Zion.

Am I taking crazy pills?
    nope, you are not. dishonest argument techniques, like "moving the goalposts", are the strongsuit in play here.

The OP also stated “who are ranked within the top 5 nationally coming out of high school and who then go on to play like future NBA All-Stars”.
    That wasn't the complete statement though. It was “who are ranked within the top 5 nationally coming out of high school and who then go on to play like future NBA All-Stars during their one season at Duke”.

The bolded part was a key part of the statement. It was one connected thought. Deleting it, or splitting it into separate thoughts, changes the entire statement. So of the list of guys you mentioned, only Deng and Irving make the cut of the actual statement. The rest do not, for various reasons (some weren't top-5 recruits, some didn't play like future NBA All Stars as freshmen, several weren't one-and-done).

Nope. No crazy pills.
    Corey Maggette
    Luol Deng
    Kyrie Irving
    Jabari Parker
    Brandon Ingram
    Jahil Okafor
    Marvin Bagley
    R J Barrett

Am I taking crazy pills?
    Yep, I did specify “in their one season at Duke”. Thus, only OADs are able to meet the criteria.

Look, what I was really trying to say is that guys like Zion and Paolo are exceedingly rare. They entered Duke as heralded Top 5 national recruits and then became basically the best player in the nation as freshmen. That is virtually unheard of.

We’ve been spoiled as Duke fans to have had two of these sensational freshmen in just the past five years. And now we see Lively and Whitehead — who I believe were also elite Top 5 national recruits — struggling just to be contributors on a fairly average Duke team, much less playing on the level where they could be considered a strong contender for national player of the year.

That’s all I was trying to say, really — that Zion and Paolo were anomalies. It’s a hell of an ask to expect Whitehead and Lively to achieve anything remotely similar, though their ranking might trick you into believing that perhaps they should.

Corey Maggette
    Luol Deng
    Kyrie Irving
    Jabari Parker
    Brandon Ingram
    Jahil Okafor
    Marvin Bagley
    R J Barrett
    Maggette didn't play like a future NBA All Star during his one year at Duke. He was a backup (a very talented backup, but a backup). Neither did Ingram (not even 1st Team All-ACC) or Deng (not even 2nd Team All-ACC). The rest of those (acknowledging that Irving was perhaps playing like an All-American before his injury) were All-Americans, and thus meet any reasonable measure of the poster's statement.

Jayson Tatum.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Look, what I was really trying to say is that guys like Zion and Paolo are exceedingly rare. They entered Duke as heralded Top 5 national recruits and then became basically the best player in the nation as freshmen. That is virtually unheard of.
    Strongly agree, and we have been blessed with many! We should not be constantly complaining the one season the (our) top 2 recruits are not performing as projected.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Jayson Tatum.
    Also didn't play like a future NBA All Star in his one year at Duke (only 3rd Team All-ACC). He did have a monster ACC Tournament, but even he was considered disappointing for a huge stretch of his freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Also didn't play like a future NBA All Star in his one year at Duke (only 3rd Team All-ACC). He did have a monster ACC Tournament, but even he was considered disappointing for a huge stretch of his freshman year.
    Oh yes he did. He averaged 17 and 7 on a loaded team. Second in scoring to Kennard. This after a late start due to early injury which caused him to miss a bunch of games, which is probably why the writers only put him on third team. NBA stardom seemed pretty obvious to many.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Maggette didn't play like a future NBA All Star during his one year at Duke. He was a backup (a very talented backup, but a backup). Neither did Ingram (not even 1st Team All-ACC) or Deng (not even 2nd Team All-ACC). The rest of those (acknowledging that Irving was perhaps playing like an All-American before his injury) were All-Americans, and thus meet any reasonable measure of the poster's statement.
    IMO, Maggette (our first OAD) caused K to make a prudent future adjustment. During the OAD period, K could no longer demand a player play solid D before starting. For example, Maggette played substantially better D than Okafor.

I listed Deng because he was a future NBA All Star. Maggette should have been, but Deng was.

I thought Ingram played well at Duke? Wasn’t he the 2nd pick in the NBA draft?

I listed Deng because he was a future NBA All Star.
    That wasn't the criteria. It was "played like a future NBA All Star in their one-and-done year". Deng was very good as a freshman. But 3rd Team All-ACC doesn't scream future NBA All Star. And it wasn't for about a decade or so before Deng actually became an NBA All Star.

I thought Ingram played well at Duke? Wasn’t he the 2nd pick in the NBA draft?
    Ingram played well at Duke. That wasn't the criteria. It was "played like a future NBA All Star."

To simplify, maybe think about it in more concrete terms: top-5 recruit and All-American as a freshman. That's the idea that Steven43 was trying to convey. It's pretty rare for that to happen. We've been fortunate to have a few: Parker, Okafor, Bagley, Williamson, Barrett, and Banchero. We've had others who were good players, but not the type of players that Steven was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Oh yes he did. He averaged 17 and 7 on a loaded team. Second in scoring to Kennard. This after a late start due to early injury which caused him to miss a bunch of games, which is probably why the writers only put him on third team. NBA stardom seemed pretty obvious to many.
    No, he didn't. Lots of guys average 17 and 7, many of whom never approach NBA All Star level. Heck, he wasn't as good as Kennard, who is nobody's idea of an NBA All Star. Tatum was a very good player. But he didn't play like a future NBA All Star as a freshman.

Wasn't Tatum the 3rd overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Wasn't Tatum the 3rd overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft?
    Hmm. I thought he was the second pick. Maybe you’re right.

[QUOTE=sagegrouse;1550008]Wasn't Tatum the 3rd overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft?[/QUOTe
    Perhaps NBA scouts are better talent evaluators than ACC sportswriters.