Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
I watched him at the high school level and his handle and court awareness were impressive and he seemed smooth and athletic... I didn't see great outside shooting ability.
I wanted to expand on this point a bit... my recollection of his recruitment aligns with yours, that he was seen as a scorer but not a shooter, and that his excellent defense was his main strength. A bit like Wendell Moore but more athletic. When I see scouting profiles that say his jumper is progressing or that his main strength is driving to the rim, I tend to read between the lines and interpret that to mean he is not a great shooter. "Has a great pull up jumper going left" says to me his three point shot is not there (yet).

Due to the roster construction of our current team we've started to envision him as a 2 guard, whereas I've always pictured him as more of a 3. I know those are largely interchangable, but shooting ability is one of the main differentiators. Somewhere along the line a perception seems to have been built that he's an elite shooter and I don't know where that came from. Perhaps it is supported by the fact that most of his shots so far this season have been from outside, no doubt due to injury hesitancy.