Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Second worst on the team so the position argument doesn’t really hold water. Proctor rebounds at a higher rate. I’d also prefer my 4 to be a better two point shooter. I don’t really see much evidence that Dariq is a great rebounder or should play the 4. When Flip needs a break I’d rather Mitchell slide to the 4. Whitehead is a 2/3. I hope he’ll grab the 3 position by the throat.
    Yeah, while I am sure Whitehead can defend most smallball college PFs, I would expect the team to see their rebounding suffer with him there. And as you note, there is already a ready-made option for backup PF: Mitchell, who would be then moving to his natural position.

Duke just annoucned that Whitehead will miss the Miami game too. Grrrr.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yea I figured. I think that means he is likely to play @ UVA

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wonder if he traveled with the team?

Maybe better if he stayed in Durham to get ongoing treatment?

After tonight’s contest, we will have seen Dariq in just 16 of Duke’s 24 games (66.7%). Hopefully he’s ready to go Saturday at UVa.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    In one of the many videos posted on social media after the victory Saturday, someone got Dariq jumping and doing that side-bump celebration with the team on the court. So this certainly seems like the team is being extra cautious, as they should. And with how this group has played the past three games without Dariq, I think the staff is doing the right thing being safe.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    In one of the many videos posted on social media after the victory Saturday, someone got Dariq jumping and doing that side-bump celebration with the team on the court. So this certainly seems like the team is being extra cautious, as they should. And with how this group has played the past three games without Dariq, I think the staff is doing the right thing being safe.
    Are you saying if one can perform a side bump they can also run up and down the basketball court, jump, cut, etc?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Are you saying if one can perform a side bump they can also run up and down the basketball court, jump, cut, etc?
    Not at all... I'm saying that the fact that he is moving and jumping in some fashion (I believe he also warmed up with the team in some capacity, or at least was taking shots at practice) means that we're likely still in a "sooner rather than later" scenario. He's not in a boot, on crutches, moving gingerly, etc.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Not at all... I'm saying that the fact that he is moving and jumping in some fashion (I believe he also warmed up with the team in some capacity, or at least was taking shots at practice) means that we're likely still in a "sooner rather than later" scenario. He's not in a boot, on crutches, moving gingerly, etc.
    Since Kyrie's injury, I've learned not to get my hopes up when it comes to Duke basketball injuries. Sometimes when one of our stars have come back, they were not the same.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Wonder if he traveled with the team?

Maybe better if he stayed in Durham to get ongoing treatment?
    Yes he travelled with the team. He was in the pictures from RDU yesterday afternoon.

Jon mentioned in his post game presser that he was doing well, but had some stiffness after practice “yesterday” (which I assume was Friday). So I think they are just being cautious and want him to be 100%.

Watching the replay of the Cuse game. I don’t think Whitehead is close to being 100% in full game-shape. He’s very energetic when he enters the game, but can’t yet quite keep up after a few minutes. His D looks, and probably is, very solid at first. But after a few trips up and down, he loses focus, doesn’t get good position, doesn’t block out.

He’s trying hard to make up for all those missed games, and may get close to true game-shape in another few weeks. His multi-talents are so impressive. That bounce pass to Filipowski, for example. His drive in the first half. A few snap passes. The smooth shooting (still the biggest surprise to me).

I don’t think he needs to be able to play 32 minutes, or even 30. But as he regains conditioning, maybe average 25 going forward?

ETA — Not long after a timeout, around the 10:10 mark of the 2d half, Whitehead, with good footwork, absolutely stopped Mintz from driving. Just one play, but so good. So his D can be really strong.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 02-19-2023 at 09:36 AM.

Jon talked about Whitehead’s defense in his post game press conference. It sounded like he had pushed Dariq on that side of the ball. But Jon said that Whitehead was a really good defender, and that he and Mark Mitchell can both switch 1-4.

Agree that I don’t think he’s back in 100% game shape yet.

Update in the Athletic

Nice update by Brendan Marks: https://theathletic.com/4254823/2023...ke-basketball/

Carrawell sees it, too, estimating that Whitehead is about two weeks away from “getting that pop back, that boom, where he can get up in the air and finish.” In the meantime, they’ve now shifted the focus of their individual sessions to drives, and putting Whitehead (and that sweet stroke) on the free-throw line.

Hmmm. Two weeks away would be really nice, although this Saturday would be really nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Nice update by Brendan Marks: https://theathletic.com/4254823/2023...ke-basketball/

Carrawell sees it, too, estimating that Whitehead is about two weeks away from “getting that pop back, that boom, where he can get up in the air and finish.” In the meantime, they’ve now shifted the focus of their individual sessions to drives, and putting Whitehead (and that sweet stroke) on the free-throw line.

Hmmm. Two weeks away would be really nice, although this Saturday would be really nice, too.
    I have no idea how this season will turn out, but a more dynamic Whitehead to add to the mix of vastly improved players? I would NOT want to be a 1,2, or 3 seed that sees Duke in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I have no idea how this season will turn out, but a more dynamic Whitehead to add to the mix of vastly improved players? I would NOT want to be a 1,2, or 3 seed that sees Duke in the second round.
    Agreed. I am really hoping that both the physical and mental (meaning him trusting his body) healing are what have prevented Dariq from being better around the rim. Whitehead as a real offensive threat makes this team very formidable on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

Seems likely they’re hoping, maybe expecting, Whitehead to get his timing back. It isn’t back yet, as his drives are a half-step off, his near-bunnies misses. He missed so many practice and in-game reps. Maybe he’ll play confidently and noticeably more smoothly by the ACCT, though I’d personally settle for more confident drives in the next 2 weeks and then some wow-drives the first weekend of the NCAAT. Which would help a lot in getting us to the second weekend.

The point about the FT-line is important, too. And his D is already very solid, and should not go unmentioned.

[Imported from NCSt post-game thread.]

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    ... any reason we can't run plays for Dariq to get a good look at the basket - may even hit a 3 - esp when no one else can't hit anything outside?
    I have been a big Whitehead fan. But his timing is way off, nowhere near 80%, much less 100%. I don’t think Scheyer trusts him, because he doesn’t trust himself. He’s still playing cautiously, not instinctively. Tough to watch, for me.

But he was wide wide wide open twice tonight. Definitely worth the pass but geez he's not on the radar.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    But he was wide wide wide open twice tonight. Definitely worth the pass but geez he's not on the radar.
    That I noticed over and over. The coaching staff needs to incorporate him into the offense. Duke had better have their A game in March. 2 for 19 for 3's will not cut it. Duke is an inside out team. However, Grandison missed 3 shots and Duke never looked for Whitehead in the half court offense. If Dariq plays Scheyer can draw up some plays for him.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    he was fouled shooting a pretty open 3, or at least it was a clean look. So Duke found him twice. I did notice that time Filipowski tried to bull his way in that he neglected to pass to a wide open Dariq in the corner. Dariq is an excellent catch and shoot 3pt shooter, but he's had real trouble with shots he dribbles into, 3s and 2s.
    That Grandison 3 on the break was a bad looking shot, his feet weren't squared up and it ended up bricking hard.