Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big game today. Hope Duke can shoot better, stay healthy and out of foul trouble, and Jeremy’s foot is ok. Something tells me Dariq may be a point of emphasis tonight. If he goes, we go. I see the offense working through him more as he continues to get his legs under him at the collegiate level. I think tonight could be a big night for Jacob Grandison too. Something tells me he gets hot from 3. Let’s Go Duke!

Does Lively dunk every time in the layup lines? I’m dumbfounded that a player so long and athletic can’t make shots around the rim. He doesn’t have to be a magician to get a good shot with his physical gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    3 B10 games in a 4 game stretch (Purdue - OSU - Iowa). Should be a good barometer for us. Ohio State looked pretty impressive knocking off Texas Tech last week. Iowa will be even tougher. Anyone else going to MSG for the Iowa game?
    I'll be at MSG next week. Kris Murray is having a great season for Iowa. He reminds me a player they had last year, Keegan Murray. Very skilled and can shoot it at 6'8". I do wonder what will happen to that program once Fran McCaffery's kids age out. Are his oldest old enough for grandkids?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Does Lively dunk every time in the layup lines? I’m dumbfounded that a player so long and athletic can’t make shots around the rim. He doesn’t have to be a magician to get a good shot with his physical gifts.
    I told myself once I heard that Whitehead and then Lively were injured that I would reserve judgement on either of them until January. I recommend that others take the same approach.

Even the most talented players can struggle to adjust when they move up a level. Through his first 7 games, Brandon Ingram averaged less than 11 pts on worse than 39% FG%. Over the next 29 games, he averaged almost 19 pts/7.5 reb on 45% FG%. We've seen flashes from Mitchell and Proctor. Whitehead is just starting to do the same. Flip has been surprisingly consistent to start the season. I think Lively is going to play very different than he has to date before the season is over. Enjoy the process.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I think Dariq's defense has been pretty good so far. Does he get lost on occasion? Yes, but so do all the freshmen. I think the starters should be Dereck, Flip, Dariq, Tyrese and Jeremy moving forward.
    Try saying that lineup quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    He's tall, long, and athletic, for sure. And coordinated. But he doesn't seem to have a ton of core strength. That takes time for most people. Not everyone is Paolo or Zion.

Murrays

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'll be at MSG next week. Kris Murray is having a great season for Iowa. He reminds me a player they had last year, Keegan Murray. Very skilled and can shoot it at 6'8". I do wonder what will happen to that program once Fran McCaffery's kids age out. Are his oldest old enough for grandkids?
    Well, the Murrays are twins, so it doesn't surprise me that one reminds you of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Well, the Murrays are twins, so it doesn't surprise me that one reminds you of the other.
    I figured the sarcasm was too obvious.

Can we punish Ohio State for being small or will they punish us for being big?

I recall Scheyer saying in the preseason that we want to play fast. It seems like that's something we hear a lot in the preseason before the reality of games modifies our plans. This year, we are playing incredibly slow. That matches the style of most of the teams we have played. Is that because we have let them dictate the style? I'd say "yes", but it could also be an indication that Scheyer is ackowledging that based on the development of the current players, we don't have the ability to play the pressure defense that would result in turnovers nor is our talent advantage such that a high possession game would lend us the advantage.

Ohio State is small and they also play really slow. Is that how the game will be played...slow and small?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

I recall Scheyer saying in the preseason that we want to play fast. It seems like that's something we hear a lot in the preseason before the reality of games modifies our plans. This year, we are playing incredibly slow. That matches the style of most of the teams we have played. Is that because we have let them dictate the style? I'd say "yes", but it could also be an indication that Scheyer is ackowledging that based on the development of the current players, we don't have the ability to play the pressure defense that would result in turnovers nor is our talent advantage such that a high possession game would lend us the advantage.

Ohio State is small and they also play really slow. Is that how the game will be played...slow and small?
    Not sure about the pace of tonight's game, but I'd like to see it speed up a bit. As Lively and Whitehead recover from injuries, I think they're both a bit disadvantaged with a slower paced game. Especially Lively. At this point and time, Lively would be more effective running the court and catching lobs, easy dunks in transition. I also think Dariq's abilities would shine a bit more in the open court than the halfcourt sets. When he gets the ball on the perimeter in the halfcourt set, he looks totally confused and the lane too clogged to have space to create. So he settles for a 3. I know it's been a double-edged sword: they're both better in transition and running, but they're both recovering from leg injuries that hinder running. As the healing process gets to 100%, maybe we'll see the transition game open up more. And of course it starts with defense and defensive rebounding. GO DEVILS!

ahh

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I figured the sarcasm was too obvious.
    I'll replace the batteries in my sarcasm detector!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'll replace the batteries in my sarcasm detector!
    My sarcasm detector was recalled by the manufacturer a decade ago. I still haven't replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Try saying that lineup quickly.
    I did, and I think I strained something.

I haven't been disappointed by much so far with Duke BBall (aside from the losses), but I will say I have been a bit disappointed by Duke's pace. I was excited when I heard Coach Scheyer say that in pre-season. I hope that after Dereck and Dariq shake off the rust Duke can start to push the pace more.

There is too much isolation ball . Offense needs to be fluid, with cutters and screens. I hope Roach's foot will not be an issue. Proctor can not have another bad night. Blakes and Grandison need to score tonight. More assists,more offensive rebounds and more 50/50 ball wins.

Like to see Lively and Whitehead get integrated much more in the offense. Have no idea what this team will do tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Have no idea what this team will do tonight.
    Me neither, which is either exciting or terrifying or, likely, BOTH!

GO DUKE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    There is too much isolation ball . Offense needs to be fluid, with cutters and screens. I hope Roach's foot will not be an issue. Proctor can not have another bad night. Blakes and Grandison need to score tonight. More assists,more offensive rebounds and more 50/50 ball wins.

Like to see Lively and Whitehead get integrated much more in the offense. Have no idea what this team will do tonight.
    Would love to see really good movement on offense and improved mastery of PNR. If we run good offense, I don't mind if Proctor keeps shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Not sure about the pace of tonight's game, but I'd like to see it speed up a bit. As Lively and Whitehead recover from injuries, I think they're both a bit disadvantaged with a slower paced game. Especially Lively. At this point and time, Lively would be more effective running the court and catching lobs, easy dunks in transition. I also think Dariq's abilities would shine a bit more in the open court than the halfcourt sets. When he gets the ball on the perimeter in the halfcourt set, he looks totally confused and the lane too clogged to have space to create. So he settles for a 3. I know it's been a double-edged sword: they're both better in transition and running, but they're both recovering from leg injuries that hinder running. As the healing process gets to 100%, maybe we'll see the transition game open up more. And of course it starts with defense and defensive rebounding. GO DEVILS!
    If your running is hindered to any significant degree, you shouldn't be playing. Not at this level. The fact that these guys are playing, and have been playing for a little while now, tells me they have no problem with running. Does Whitehead have his full stamina back? Probably, but can't say for sure. Is he rusty still? Maybe, but can't say for sure. But are these guys still hurt? No. Time to bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Would love to see really good movement on offense and improved mastery of PNR. If we run good offense, I don't mind if Proctor keeps shooting.
    How about some Dariq and Flip high-low, with Dariq at the free throw line? Let's see how much play making Dariq has.

Me neither, which is either exciting or terrifying or, likely, BOTH!

GO DUKE!!!!!!
    OTOH, I rejoice in an early tip-off time, while I remain on the East Coast.