Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't want to start a whole new thread, and the generic '22 football thread got closed, so I'll post this here.

Pitt's QB is entering the portal to go off and find his third school. I didn't realize how active the ACC QB situation is, but it's looking like Grand Central Station with all the movement.

Thankfully Duke isn't on that list, but it's surprising to see that a third of the conference's play callers are heading for greener pastures.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ransfer-portal
    Wow, I can see why guys like Sims, Armstrong and Jurkovec would leave, but Devin Leary??

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Wow, I can see why guys like Sims, Armstrong and Jurkovec would leave, but Devin Leary??
    probably has hopes that an ultra high profile program will take him...could be risky though.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It is. Portal is helping us in opening up some slots via guys leaving who don’t play much. Can fill some needs as a result.
    While complicated, it does seem to be enhancing the level of parity somewhat. In the past, a lot of top programs would just stock up on highly rated recruits and if they didn't pan out, they'd either be stuck buried on the depth chart or would have to go through a difficult and carefully considered transfer process while sitting out a year in order to seek more playing time—lots of uncertainty built into that model. Now if they don't pan out, their ability to make a move (or multiple moves) via the portal allows talent to more fluidly spread throughout the ranks of college football.

He's been there for 5 years and there was a thought that NCSU would go with Morris as the starter and Finley as the backup. Basically he wants to spend his last year of eligibility as a defacto starter, and not possibly compete for a job.

Maybe he wants to be the next Russell Wilson.

Also, I read somewhere this morning that, although it hadn’t been officially announced, DJ is leaving Clemson. No surprise there - I was mildly surprised he didn’t transfer last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    While complicated, it does seem to be enhancing the level of parity somewhat. In the past, a lot of top programs would just stock up on highly rated recruits and if they didn't pan out, they'd either be stuck buried on the depth chart or would have to go through a difficult and carefully considered transfer process while sitting out a year in order to seek more playing time—lots of uncertainty built into that model. Now if they don't pan out, their ability to make a move (or multiple moves) via the portal allows talent to more fluidly spread throughout the ranks of college football.
    Without the portal, our OL would not have been nearly as good this year (four portal guys played major, major minutes) and that OL play was one of our team's very bright spots..so indeed, the portal can be and has been very good to us at positions of immediate need.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Maybe he wants to be the next Russell Wilson.

Also, I read somewhere this morning that, although it hadn’t been officially announced, DJ is leaving Clemson. No surprise there - I was mildly surprised he didn’t transfer last year.
    Leary surprises me...but I don't closely follow the Pack. I never thought DJ was that good, far as that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Leary surprises me...but I don't closely follow the Pack. I never thought DJ was that good, far as that goes.
    Did Uiagalelei get injured in the ACC Championship game? Backup Freshman Cade Klubnik had a pretty good game in his place. Is Klubnik now the presumed #1 QB for Clemson next year?

Edit: I missed it but now I see that Swinney benched Uiagalelei after two series in favor of Klubnik, and then later stated that Klubnik will start for Clemson in the Orange Bowl on Dec. 30. So what did Uiagalelei do (or not do) that lost him the starting spot?
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 12-05-2022 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Did Uiagalelei get injured in the ACC Championship game? Backup Freshman Cade Klubnik had a pretty good game in his place. Is Klubnik now the presumed #1 QB for Clemson next year?

Edit: I missed it but now I see that Swinney benched Uiagalelei after two series in favor of Klubnik, and then later stated that Klubnik will start for Clemson in the Orange Bowl on Dec. 30. So what did Uiagalelei do (or not do) that lost him the starting spot?
    DJ is just not that good. Sweeny getting lit up for not making this move sooner...

247 Transfer database

For anyone who wants to monitor who is in or out and what options are available by position.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Fo...ransferPortal/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post

8/29 against the gamecocks. 2/5 to start against the cheats.
    sc_clemson.jpg
    clem_nc.jpg

DJ is just not that good. Sweeny getting lit up for not making this move sooner...
    That may be a bit of a simplistic analysis. Dj is a better runner than thrower, but he can pass the ball. I think what you saw was a QB who has had some change with offensive coordinators, and definitely after the ND game was a guy that had his confidence completely shot (Cade also played in that ND game and didn't fare much better).

DJ'd 1st missed pass in the ACC CG was a pass any qb can make, but the fact that it dropped in front of a wide open WR with no coverage seemed to indicate that DJ was already rattled and if he stays in, UNC has a good shot to win that game.

Don't be surprised if he goes to a PAC12 school next season and shines. Look at Bo Nix. Was terrible at Auburn, had a fantastic season for Oregon until he got injured. I expect the same for DJ Uiagalelei if he can find an offense that understands his skillset. Some guys just need a change.

FWLIW, Leary's little brother redshirted this year at Illinois. There's some buzz that Devin would come in for one year -- Illinois expects to be losing Tommy Devito -- and then had the position over to his brother. There are plenty of other suitors too, but I would expect Illinois to be a factor in Leary's recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    That may be a bit of a simplistic analysis. Dj is a better runner than thrower, but he can pass the ball. I think what you saw was a QB who has had some change with offensive coordinators, and definitely after the ND game was a guy that had his confidence completely shot (Cade also played in that ND game and didn't fare much better).

DJ'd 1st missed pass in the ACC CG was a pass any qb can make, but the fact that it dropped in front of a wide open WR with no coverage seemed to indicate that DJ was already rattled and if he stays in, UNC has a good shot to win that game.

Don't be surprised if he goes to a PAC12 school next season and shines. Look at Bo Nix. Was terrible at Auburn, had a fantastic season for Oregon until he got injured. I expect the same for DJ Uiagalelei if he can find an offense that understands his skillset. Some guys just need a change.
    I watched a couple of Clemson games this season... He was objectively bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    I watched a couple of Clemson games this season... He was objectively bad.
    So was Chase Brice (at Duke).

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    So was Chase Brice (at Duke).
    Exactly, he was in a system that did not suit his skill set at all, and had myriad issues with skill position players and the line.

I'm not saying DJU is going to be an NFL qb, but I'd feel comfortable betting that his next stop will be much more successful for him. We'll see

Brice was also 20 lbs overweight.

Brice was also 20 lbs overweight.
    haha yeah Russel Wilson and Matt Stafford have been at times too, but quarterbacks can get away with some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    haha yeah Russel Wilson and Matt Stafford have been at times too, but quarterbacks can get away with some things.
    True, but first thing he did when he got to App State was to slim down...not sure why Cut didn't use some influence..the man waddled when he ran.

True, but first thing he did when he got to App State was to slim down...not sure why Cut didn't use some influence..the man waddled when he ran.
    He lumbered, he didn't run!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com