Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Duke may not perceive QB as a priority need, but there is going to be a good one in the portal. Hudson Card has announced that he is leaving Texas. He was a top recruit coming out of Lake Travis HS in suburban Austin, but got “portaled over” when Quinn Ewers transferred from TOSU to UT.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke may not perceive QB as a priority need, but there is going to be a good one in the portal. Hudson Card has announced that he is leaving Texas. He was a top recruit coming out of Lake Travis HS in suburban Austin, but got “portaled over” when Quinn Ewers transferred from TOSU to UT.
    Now there's a term that wasn't around in years past. I suspect it will be a thing going forward.

Duke has grabbed 300lb+ Elon grad Michael Purcell for next year's OL, and is wooing a Stanford OL grad as well who seems to have interest...also hot after a Baylor LB commit who is wavering.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Duke has grabbed 300lb+ Elon grad Michael Purcell for next year's OL, and is wooing a Stanford OL grad as well who seems to have interest...also hot after a Baylor LB commit who is wavering.
    Are you hearing any rumblings about Texas A&M transfers? Seems reasonable that unhappy Aggies might desire to reunite with Coach Elko.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Are you hearing any rumblings about Texas A&M transfers? Seems reasonable that unhappy Aggies might desire to reunite with Coach Elko.
    no, I have no info on that, it's the Devils Den that has had this portal info..non premium content...

no, I have no info on that, it's the Devils Den that has had this portal info..non premium content...
    Thanks. I have not heard anything either but it seems to me Duke would be a reasonable destination for A&M transfers.
    Bob Green

The portal thing is pretty bizarre now. The Notre Dame starting QB leaves with years of eligibility remaining, staff didn't seem to see this coming (not that they'll lack for other candidates on the roster).

The portal thing is pretty bizarre now. The Notre Dame starting QB leaves with years of eligibility remaining, staff didn't seem to see this coming (not that they'll lack for other candidates on the roster).
    Drew Pyne was the backup QB... He became the starter when Tyler Buchner went down to season-ending injury in the second game. Next season he was looking at another QB competition against Buchner (who was ahead of him on the depth chart), rising sophomore Steve Angeli, and whoever ND gets via the transfer portal (and they will be looking to acquire a transfer, since their top recruit, 5-star and #4 QB prospect Dante Moore, decided to decommit and go to Oregon and they replaced him in the class with 3-star Kenny Minchey, formerly committed to Pitt). Had he decided to stay, it's likely Pyne either would be the backup once again or third string, depending upon who ND is able to get via the portal. Given the list of schools that originally recruited him and his admirable performance this season, I don't blame Drew for wanting to transfer to a situation where he can be more of a definite starter.

^ yeah, I get that, it's just of weird, especially since ND said they didn't see it coming.

On a positive note, I see that Carter and Franklin are coming back to Duke at DT which is wonderful news.

...On a positive note, I see that Carter and Franklin are coming back to Duke at DT which is wonderful news.
    Agreed. When I got wind of that it made my day...can't wait to see them both continue wreaking havoc on opposing offenses.

Regression to the mean would indicate that we might not be so lucky with QB health next season....Leonard stayed remarkably healthy for a dual threat QB who ran as much as he did.

Portal plus NIL making this all very complicated

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Portal plus NIL making this all very complicated
    It is. Portal is helping us in opening up some slots via guys leaving who don’t play much. Can fill some needs as a result.

Didn't FR Henry Belin IV take a snap or two early in the season? If so, is he the backup QB at this point? (Or an upperclassman like GR Gavin Spurrier, in an emergency for the bowl?)

I'm assuming Riley is here for 2 more years, 1 if he really blows up next season, I'd plan on 2. QBs in the transfer portal are looking for somewhere to get on the field, and thats not happening at Duke for most likely 2 seasons barring injury. I assume Elko is going looking for Leonard's replacement via 'cruitin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Didn't FR Henry Belin IV take a snap or two early in the season? If so, is he the backup QB at this point? (Or an upperclassman like GR Gavin Spurrier, in an emergency for the bowl?)
    it's either Belin or Jordan Moore...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Regression to the mean would indicate that we might not be so lucky with QB health next season...Leonard stayed remarkably healthy for a dual threat QB who ran as much as he did.
    Yeah Duke was fortunate not to play many teams known for stout defense this year or those teams having very sub-par seasons like VT. Riley was fantastic this year but he will need to learn to protect his body.

Really hard to believe Duke would land a starting-quality high major QB transfer with Riley Leonard already here. Especially ones that are leaving to get more playing time.

If Duke needs QB depth, they'd be better served looking at mid major or smaller schools.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Really hard to believe Duke would land a starting-quality high major QB transfer with Riley Leonard already here. Especially ones that are leaving to get more playing time.

If Duke needs QB depth, they'd be better served looking at mid major or smaller schools.
    Even if Riley Leonard isn't the most talented guy in the world, I hope he's our guy moving forward. It was a shame when Sirk transferred for his last year of eligibility after getting passed up by Daniel Jones. Sirk had so much heart, and that led to such fun moments that year. The comeback against Miami up until the screwjob at the end. The Va Tech overtime win. Was there a big UNC win in there for him?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't want to start a whole new thread, and the generic '22 football thread got closed, so I'll post this here.

Pitt's QB is entering the portal to go off and find his third school. I didn't realize how active the ACC QB situation is, but it's looking like Grand Central Station with all the movement.

Slovis entering the portal marks the fifth productive ACC quarterback to either enter the NCAA transfer portal or announce his intentions. He joins Georgia Tech's Jeff Sims, BC's Phil Jurkovec, N.C. State's Devin Leary and Virginia's Brennan Armstrong.
    Clemson's DJ Uiagalelei could end up joining that group in the upcoming days.
    Thankfully Duke isn't on that list, but it's surprising to see that a third of the conference's play callers are heading for greener pastures.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ransfer-portal
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."