Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke Football 2022 Transfer Portal Watch

Now that three of our players have announced their intentions to enter the transfer portal, I guess it’s reasonable to start the thread.

One suggestion: stay positive.
    One observation: we lost people last year to transfer, but 5 of our current offensive and defensive starters are transfers, including 3 on the O line (Lyle, Burns, and Harris). We also picked up our long snapper and two guys on the 2nd team defense. My hunch is the portal is a net positive for us.

Anyway, in regards to these 3, all would be graduate transfers, and all 3 are eligible to return to Duke.

According to On3, the guys are Tony Davis, Darrell Harding, and Rocky Shelton. While none were starters, all contributed to the team and appear to be on track for graduation. Congrats and good luck.

https://www.on3.com/college/duke-blu...l-blue-devils/

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-footbal...art/duke/90406
    Last edited by johnb; 11-29-2022 at 12:25 PM.

^ after Monk was hurt Foley played a whole lot on the OL, so that was four strong contributors. Obviously Elko can recognize talent..finding Burns from Cornell, Foley from Holy Cross, Harris from Arkansas State, and Lyttle (Colorado).
    Then add in Dillon who played very well at LB, from Columbia...I would expect that Duke is seen as a more credible destination at this point...

I've noted that Davis, Harding and Shelton have played quite a bit less as the season wore on, so I'm not surprised they are portalizing...as you say, best of luck to them.

I am not an A&M insider but supposedly the culture there over the past year has really soured. The rub is they got a bunch of guys for NIL money that aren't really bought into the program. I'm curious if there are any 2 or 3 year players on defense that may be sick of the drama and follow their former DC to Duke.

Beyond that I think hitting that transfer portal is going to be a key for Duke's long term success and I'm curious to see how Elko and crew approach it

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I am not an A&M insider but supposedly the culture there over the past year has really soured. The rub is they got a bunch of guys for NIL money that aren't really bought into the program. I'm curious if there are any 2 or 3 year players on defense that may be sick of the drama and follow their former DC to Duke.

Beyond that I think hitting that transfer portal is going to be a key for Duke's long term success and I'm curious to see how Elko and crew approach it
    His talent assessment for the guys they brought in this year was excellent. And I think he'll be fishing in a larger pool this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    His talent assessment for the guys they brought in this year was excellent. And I think he'll be fishing in a larger pool this time around.
    Yes, I think the influx should exceed the exodus. And with the schedule next year, we need it.

If you’re a player, why would you announce this before the bowl though?

I had that thought earlier in the season too, but I doubt it. Those players are receiving huge money in NIL, I doubt they'd give that up to play for a program even if it's one on the rise and with a great culture.

As others have said Duke should be an attractive destination (relatively speaking), Elko can really sell players on what we're building.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yes, I think the influx should exceed the exodus. And with the schedule next year, we need it.

If you’re a player, why would you announce this before the bowl though?
    If they are wanting to join a new team with the intent of getting more playing time, they may want to be involved with spring practice.
    That would likely require that they get signed by the new school in the December signing period, which is 12/21-23.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    If they are wanting to join a new team with the intent of getting more playing time, they may want to be involved with spring practice.
    That would likely require that they get signed by the new school in the December signing period, which is 12/21-23.
    Thanks, makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I had that thought earlier in the season too, but I doubt it. Those players are receiving huge money in NIL, I doubt they'd give that up to play for a program even if it's one on the rise and with a great culture.

As others have said Duke should be an attractive destination (relatively speaking), Elko can really sell players on what we're building.
    Does anyone know what Duke is doing/facilitating w.r.t NIL? Are they competing at all? Seems like there should be $ available. Maybe not to the extent of a huge Texas school, but something. I have no idea, just curious

How will we do in Portal when extra Covid year expires?

Supposedly one reason Shaw resigned at Stanford is that the portal was one way with players leaving but not being admitted, and there was little cooperation for graduate admission. The Trees are reported to only have 40 undergrad transfers in the entire school, while some P5 programs have more than 20 just in football. Transfers are easier now because of the bonus year, but we may have more difficulty when the norm returns to only 4 years of eligibility.

Yes I do recall the DBR article on Fuqua, but if a player already has played 4 years the 5th year in grad school will not be an option unless rules are changed to reward graduates with an extra year, just as they previously could transfer without sitting out.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...aw-jon-scheyer

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Does anyone know what Duke is doing/facilitating w.r.t NIL? Are they competing at all? Seems like there should be $ available. Maybe not to the extent of a huge Texas school, but something. I have no idea, just curious
    I don't see how FB can possibly compete long term...as this is now a demographic fight, and Duke is a small school with more fans of the hated rival than Duke fans within 10 miles of Wade Stadium. MBB is positioned pretty well short term...but I wouldn't recommend, say, a two year down spiral. I hate this, because I really like both hires - but fear that these changes are existential threats to smaller schools trying to compete on the big stage - that will overwhelm coaching ability, regardless of how good they are.

On the other hand, Texas A and M should be on top of the world...but have been a disaster this season (until Saturday). I have my theories as to why...but that's another convo...

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...nil-191280426/

yes, we've talked some about this...Duke is more on top of things than some think...credit Nina.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Not all of the players at A&M are receiving big NIL deals, I was thinking players that had been with the program 2 or so years that may not want to deal with the new influx of players and the drama that comes with it. The rub about A&M this past season is they got a wave of new players on NIL deals, and those players are not particularly vested in the whole team concept. Not sure how true it is, but thats the rumor.

How is Duke with back up QBs. Leonard is here for probably 2 more years but I don't know the back up situation. Moore has converted to WR, and I've heard they're looking to do the same with Diamond. If Riley gets banged up, I don't know who they're going with. I'd love for them to get another WR since Calhoun and maybe Pancol are gone. Hagens, Moore and Robinson have been pretty great, need some back up if they get hurt. Would love for Duke to have a tall target, to counter with Moore and Hagens

Not all of the players at A&M are receiving big NIL deals, I was thinking players that had been with the program 2 or so years that may not want to deal with the new influx of players and the drama that comes with it. The rub about A&M this past season is they got a wave of new players on NIL deals, and those players are not particularly vested in the whole team concept. Not sure how true it is, but thats the rumor.

How is Duke with back up QBs. Leonard is here for probably 2 more years but I don't know the back up situation. Moore has converted to WR, and I've heard they're looking to do the same with Diamond. If Riley gets banged up, I don't know who they're going with. I'd love for them to get another WR since Calhoun and maybe Pancol are gone. Hagens, Moore and Robinson have been pretty great, need some back up if they get hurt. Would love for Duke to have a tall target, to counter with Moore and Hagens
    Diamont has been a wide receiver all year...(he just doesn't play).We have four new receivers coming in the next class...(one of whom is 6-5).

Calhoun and Pancol are both coming back and we have a big time receiver in the 23 class.

We need OL's, a cornerback, and DL's. Possibly a linebacker as it does not look like Shaka is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Calhoun and Pancol are both coming back and we have a big time receiver in the 23 class.

We need OL's, a cornerback, and DL's. Possibly a linebacker as it does not look like Shaka is coming back.
    Calhoun was fantastic this year. Pancol seemed to be our best deep-ball, go up and get it guy. Moore seems to do a little bit of everything. Hagans really impressed me. I'd like to see him as the full-time punt returner after he got that one return and almost a second against GT.

Overall, I'm more optimistic about our WR's than I have been in a long time. Conner Vernon was fantastic. Crowder put up big number, but I actually remember being frustrated at him dropping a lot of easy balls at times. After that, it got rough. Even with mostly the same players, our receiver appear to have gotten a lot better at catching contested balls. Seems to be the story of the season - same players, better fundamentals and performance. We seemed to have finally moved on from one of our worst tendencies of the Cut era - catching a short pass, then running backwards 2 or 3 yards in attempt to juke a defender, only to get tackled and lose yardage. TJ Rahming was the king of that.

It would be great to get a 4-star, tall WR. I wonder what Scott Bracey could have developed into if Elko was in charge.

I don't know if we have much talent or depth at TE, but I would like to see them get more involved in the passing game next year. That was something the Cutcliffe offenses usually did pretty well.

Also, random thought, but can you imagine if we still had Mateo Durant on this year's team!?

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Calhoun was fantastic this year. Pancol seemed to be our best deep-ball, go up and get it guy. Moore seems to do a little bit of everything. Hagans really impressed me. I'd like to see him as the full-time punt returner after he got that one return and almost a second against GT.

Overall, I'm more optimistic about our WR's than I have been in a long time. Conner Vernon was fantastic. Crowder put up big number, but I actually remember being frustrated at him dropping a lot of easy balls at times. After that, it got rough. Even with mostly the same players, our receiver appear to have gotten a lot better at catching contested balls. Seems to be the story of the season - same players, better fundamentals and performance. We seemed to have finally moved on from one of our worst tendencies of the Cut era - catching a short pass, then running backwards 2 or 3 yards in attempt to juke a defender, only to get tackled and lose yardage. TJ Rahming was the king of that.

It would be great to get a 4-star, tall WR. I wonder what Scott Bracey could have developed into if Elko was in charge.

I don't know if we have much talent or depth at TE, but I would like to see them get more involved in the passing game next year. That was something the Cutcliffe offenses usually did pretty well.

Also, random thought, but can you imagine if we still had Mateo Durant on this year's team!?
    You forgot Donovan Varner. As far as Crowder goes, he was CONSTANTLY double teamed in 2014 since Duke never had that consistent second threat on the other side. McCaffrey was solid, but wasn't fast enough or consistent enough to make defenses pay for sitting on Crowder.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    Supposedly one reason Shaw resigned at Stanford is that the portal was one way with players leaving but not being admitted, and there was little cooperation for graduate admission. The Trees are reported to only have 40 undergrad transfers in the entire school, while some P5 programs have more than 20 just in football. Transfers are easier now because of the bonus year, but we may have more difficulty when the norm returns to only 4 years of eligibility.

Yes I do recall the DBR article on Fuqua, but if a player already has played 4 years the 5th year in grad school will not be an option unless rules are changed to reward graduates with an extra year, just as they previously could transfer without sitting out.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...aw-jon-scheyer
    Bunch of jokers at Stanford. Focussing on academics and not allowing academically weaker transfers in. It is almost as if they think they are a prestigious academic institution. Losers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Bunch of jokers at Stanford. Focussing on academics and not allowing academically weaker transfers in. It is almost as if they think they are a prestigious academic institution. Losers.
    Could be worse, they could be clowns.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Could be worse, they could be clowns.
    Either would have a problem with Batman.