Duke Basketball poster 2022-23

Last year, for the first time Duke did not sell a signed poster. Does anyone know if they will this year?

Quote Originally Posted by lrjacobson View Post
    Last year, for the first time Duke did not sell a signed poster. Does anyone know if they will this year?
    My guess is with the new NIL stuff those signatures aren't free anymore, so I would anticipate they will not be selling anymore signed posters or basketballs

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    My guess is with the new NIL stuff those signatures aren't free anymore, so I would anticipate they will not be selling anymore signed posters or basketballs
    Why would NIL be relevant to this? (Not trying to be snarky; I just don't understand why NIL would impact this.)
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Why would NIL be relevant to this? (Not trying to be snarky; I just don't understand why NIL would impact this.)
    Players in the current environment don't give away their signatures for free. It'd be too complicated for Duke athletics to coordinate royalty payments based on player profile/NIL value. It just adds a layer of complexity that the Duke athletics department would have to deal with the player's agencies to come up with contracts and have attorneys come up with deals. This wasn't intended to be a big operation...was just some posters that the guys signed one afternoon that they'd then send out for $20 to cover costs basically. The basketball office explicitly stated (last year?) that the changing landscape of NIL was the reason they can't continue it. Maybe they could agree to pay a percentage to players at the same rate --- I think UK has done that honestly for some practice sessions that UK players undertook (but maybe that was outside the university's purview).

I called the basketball office last year and they told me no signed posters due to NIL. I dont know if that ever made it on a website or in print, but that was the reason on the call.

It would be cool if they had an autograph day or something. I'd pay to take my kids to it. I am sure money makes all these things messy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Players in the current environment don't give away their signatures for free. It'd be too complicated for Duke athletics to coordinate royalty payments based on player profile/NIL value. It just adds a layer of complexity that the Duke athletics department would have to deal with the player's agencies to come up with contracts and have attorneys come up with deals. This wasn't intended to be a big operation...was just some posters that the guys signed one afternoon that they'd then send out for $20 to cover costs basically. The basketball office explicitly stated (last year?) that the changing landscape of NIL was the reason they can't continue it. Maybe they could agree to pay a percentage to players at the same rate --- I think UK has done that honestly for some practice sessions that UK players undertook (but maybe that was outside the university's purview).
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I called the basketball office last year and they told me no signed posters due to NIL. I dont know if that ever made it on a website or in print, but that was the reason on the call.

It would be cool if they had an autograph day or something. I'd pay to take my kids to it. I am sure money makes all these things messy though.
    Thanks very much, guys.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Players in the current environment don't give away their signatures for free. It'd be too complicated for Duke athletics to coordinate royalty payments based on player profile/NIL value.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that second sentence is explicitly against NCAA rules, is it not? My understanding is that students can earn NIL, but that schools are still forbidden from making direct NIL payments to players. This is why there is a formation of so many booster "PACS". Otherwise the boosters would just still give the money directly to the schools, and leave it to the schools to make the payments. There's been some reporting of several "school-organized" signing events, but I'll bet if those are looked at carefully, it will turn out that the schools are technically not directly involved. It can get pretty sketchy, pretty fast, but I trust Duke to be more careful than most in trying to stay on the right side of the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that second sentence is explicitly against NCAA rules, is it not? My understanding is that students can earn NIL, but that schools are still forbidden from making direct NIL payments to players. This is why there is a formation of so many booster "PACS". Otherwise the boosters would just still give the money directly to the schools, and leave it to the schools to make the payments. There's been some reporting of several "school-organized" signing events, but I'll bet if those are looked at carefully, it will turn out that the schools are technically not directly involved. It can get pretty sketchy, pretty fast, but I trust Duke to be more careful than most in trying to stay on the right side of the rules.
    Yes, I believe you're right. I should have worded my response more carefully. Duke cannot officially sponsor/sanction an activity that directs NIL payments to players. But I believe Duke can help facilitate the arrangement (hence the Rachel Baker hire). There would have to be a third party that actually does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    IIRC, didn't carolina announce/set up some sort of payment system to the players for jersey sales. It was discussed briefly here on the board after NIL came into existence.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    IIRC, didn't carolina announce/set up some sort of payment system to the players for jersey sales. It was discussed briefly here on the board after NIL came into existence.
    I think the distinction is that Carolina is allowing players to use official UNC logos, etc. but it's not UNC that is manufacturing the merchandise. The players still need to figure out a way to manufacture/sell/etc. through another party.
    Sorry to link to this blog, but it's where the information is contained:
    https://www.tarheelblog.com/2021/7/2...famous-seafood
    https://www.tarheeltimes.com/article134899.aspx

For most schools, "breakingT" wouldn't be able to use the official school logo on the shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I don't know for certain, and I've not inquired. My guess is that there's an intermediary somewhere, but I don't pretend to know for sure, especially not when it comes to that particular entity.

This is a nice alternative for the team poster

SLAM Mag_Duke 202223.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

They tried it back in December of 2018 over winter break. We were lucky enough to get through the line. Many didn't. The event attracted quite the crowd.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...82#post1112082

IMG_0082.jpg