FG attempts single game record, by individual

Yesterday Caleb Love shot 36 FG attempts in one game in the 4OT loss vs Alabama. Davis shot 24.

Is 36 an all-time individual single game record for FG attempts for UNC? Is 60 an all-time record for 2 players?

What is the Duke record?

Thanks data guys!!

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MarcStarnes View Post
    Yesterday Caleb Love shot 36 FG attempts in one game in the 4OT loss vs Alabama. Davis shot 24.

Is 36 an all-time individual single game record for FG attempts for UNC? Is 60 an all-time record for 2 players?

What is the Duke record?

Thanks data guys!!

Marc
    I am guessing the record would be back in the 50s or 60s when the pace of play was faster and teams shot more. Guys like Rosenbluth and Cunningham averaged 20+ attempts per game.

Same for Duke. Groat averaged up to 23 attempts per game.

I would guess that Rosenbluth or Cunningham is the UNC leader and Groat or Heyman is the Duke leader.

That said, playing 1.5 games in one game will push Love up the leaderboard.

I thought it was crazy how they acted like he had such a great game because he scored that many points. It's never good to be doing your best Cole Anthony impression. He missed all the late-game shots that could have won it, they were all the deep 3's from the exact same spot he took one at the end of the national championship game. He only ever hits those against Duke apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I am guessing the record would be back in the 50s or 60s when the pace of play was faster and teams shot more. Guys like Rosenbluth and Cunningham averaged 20+ attempts per game.

Same for Duke. Groat averaged up to 23 attempts per game.

I would guess that Rosenbluth or Cunningham is the UNC leader and Groat or Heyman is the Duke leader.

That said, playing 1.5 games in one game will push Love up the leaderboard.
    Not sure if this is the Duke single game record, but this article mentions that Dick Groat took 37 shots in his 48 point performance vs UNC in 1952. Unlike Love, Groat made more than 50% of his shots and ended up on the winning team (Duke won 94-64).

I thought that Danny Ferry’s 58 performance vs Miami might also be a candidate, but Ferry only attempted opted 26 shots in that game. 58 points on 26 shots is pretty efficient!

And then there's Pete Maravich.

I didn't search deep enough to get individual games, but in his three year career at LSU Pete averaged around 38 field attempts per game.

In 83 games he attempted 3166 shots. Pistol Pete was Prolific.

Linky

What about if we just look at just since 1980...K to present

My last trivia question...

Just going back to 1980, is 36 FGA for Love an ACC (or UNC?) record? Or 60 FGA a two-person record?

If anyone can find the record since 1980 for each of the ACC teams around in 1980s, I'd give you a huge thanks

You can even include Maryland if you want, haha.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MarcStarnes View Post
    You can even include Maryland if you want, haha.

Marc
    Who?

Not Even Close

Field-Goal Attempts
    Game
    71—Jay Handlan, Wash. & Lee vs. Furman,
    Feb. 17, 1951 (30 made)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Who?
    Tried to spork you but must spread. Yeh, that's one team that comes close to the Cheats in my dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Field-Goal Attempts
    Game
    Feb. 17, 1951 (30 made)
    Washington and Lee isn't UNC or DUke, nor is it an ACC school. So that's not really the question.

As for the actual question, I have no idea. Detailed game logs don't go back to 1980. But again, considering that they played 1.5 games yesterday, it's probably a reasonable guess that 36 is the record. He had 26 in regulation by my count, which probably isn't close to the record. But when you play an extra 20 minutes, the shots start to pile up.

According to Sports Reference, D.J. Cooper of the Ohio Bobcats took 41 field goal attempts (FGA) against St. Bonaventure on 12/18/2010. That game also went to 4 OT periods. The database of individual games goes back to the 2010-11 season. That's the high-water mark for FGA during the Sports Reference time period.

Trae Young once took 39 FGA in a game, at Oklahoma State. That game went to one OT period.

Of the 18 players that have attempted 34 or more FGA since 2010-11, none have scored less than Caleb Love did against Alabama last night. A truly inefficient scoring performance.

I may have had it backwards. Cole Anthony shot 38% from the field during his 1 year at UNC. Caleb Love has shot just under 36% for his career. That's atrocious, yet he's regarded as a very good college player. The most the talking heads on TV will criticize him is to say he's "streaky."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Of the 18 players that have attempted 34 or more FGA since 2010-11, none have scored less than Caleb Love did against Alabama last night. A truly inefficient scoring performance.
    Ahh, well, he's got that one record at least, so he's got that going for him.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Field-Goal Attempts
    Game
    Feb. 17, 1951 (30 made)
    Must be something about Furman.

NC State's record is set against later that year against the 1951-52 team.
    40 attempts by Sammy Ranzino vs. Furman 12/1/51

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Must be something about Furman.

NC State's record is set against later that year against the 1951-52 team.
    40 attempts by Sammy Ranzino vs. Furman 12/1/51
    There was definitely something about Furman back then. They were famous gunners, with none more famous than Frank Selvy. As an inveterate shot taker in high school who once had to ice his arm after a particularly prolific night (I got up 25 shots from the field and 10 FTs) I respect the blatant disregard for teammates that these giys show. I figure these guys didn't bother to learn their teammates last names either. And just their first name because calling them by their number didn't get me the ball.

https://blogs.furman.edu/library-news/2013/02/13/from-the-archives-celebrating-selvy-february-13-1954/

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Washington and Lee isn't UNC or DUke, nor is it an ACC school. So that's not really the question.

As for the actual question, I have no idea. Detailed game logs don't go back to 1980. But again, considering that they played 1.5 games yesterday, it's probably a reasonable guess that 36 is the record. He had 26 in regulation by my count, which probably isn't close to the record. But when you play an extra 20 minutes, the shots start to pile up.
    Check your eyeglasses, CDu, and then reread the thread title.

Check your eyeglasses, CDu, and then reread the thread title.
    My eyes are fine. Read the first post beyond just the title. It was very specifically asking about UNC and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Of the 18 players that have attempted 34 or more FGA since 2010-11, none have scored less than Caleb Love did against Alabama last night.
    I'm late to this thread, but I figured people wouldn't mind reading that very wonderful sentence again.