Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 56, Purdue 75 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. And remember, no venting or bashing.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    First and foremost, I’m extremely proud of this team. They fought. It could’ve gotten very ugly very early, and these guys played with pride.

Second, let’s please not panic. Purdue is the worst-case scenario for a team to face with little prep time (especially when, let’s be honest, we were probably getting ready for Gonzaga subconsciously). They’re so damn unique, and Edey is insane. They’re a really good team.

Third, let’s please not overreact about Lively. He’s young, he’s coming back from injury, and this was the exact worst case matchup for him. He’s going to get better and better as the year goes on.

On a positive note, we saw the player Proctor could be today. We need him to be a creator, and he showed more glimpses of that today. Also, Jeremy continued showing he’s an offensive force, and seems to be no worse for wear from the injury (fingers crossed).

How we come back on Wednesday will say a lot about this team. If we can perform well, that’ll say something for our resilience. If this team has that, the sky is still the limit, because we’re only going to get better.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Purdue is really good. I had not seen them play before today.

We’ve got a ways to go, obviously, but I appreciated the team’s tenacity in the 2nd half. Definitely encouraged by Proctor’s performance. We’ve got to find some consistent shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    First and foremost, I’m extremely proud of this team. They fought. It could’ve gotten very ugly very early, and these guys played with pride.

Second, let’s please not panic. Purdue is the worst-case scenario for a team to face with little prep time (especially when, let’s be honest, we were probably getting ready for Gonzaga subconsciously). They’re so damn unique, and Edey is insane. They’re a really good team.

Third, let’s please not overreact about Lively. He’s young, he’s coming back from injury, and this was the exact worst case matchup for him. He’s going to get better and better as the year goes on.

On a positive note, we saw the player Proctor could be today. We need him to be a creator, and he showed more glimpses of that today. Also, Jeremy continued showing he’s an offensive force, and seems to be no worse for wear from the injury (fingers crossed).

How we come back on Wednesday will say a lot about this team. If we can perform well, that’ll say something for our resilience. If this team has that, the sky is still the limit, because we’re only going to get better.
    I agree with all of these points. Proctor’s play was a definite silver lining in my view. This team really needs to establish an effective offensive identity and approach, and Proctor and Whitehead are arguably the keys to that.

The switch to zone by Coach Scheyer and staff really got Duke back into the game. I think Duke cut the lead to 6 at one point in the 2nd half and it was still very much anyone’s game. I was glad to see Roach return from injury and I hope he is ok going forward. Roach, Proctor, and Flip had good games offensively but as a team Duke shot just 2-19 from 3. Duke was also out rebounded 42-32 and out assisted 17 to 8. Purdue is a good team and Edey is a lot to handle in the post. Hopefully, the young guys can learn from this and be better for it going forward. Tough game overall but a lot of season left and Duke still has a high ceiling.

I am in full agreement with this post. There were a couple of possessions where Duke could have cut the lead to 5. They fought hard to get to that position in this game.

I’m glad that Jeremy looked good after the foot issue.

I also liked the zone.

I hope Jon can teach ‘‘em up before Wednesday

Glad we were able to trim the deficit to make it at least somewhat competitive before Purdue pulled away for good. Our offense is pretty disjointed though, at least against quality opponents. Saw some good things from Proctor, Flip was relatively quiet, and Roach fought but wasn't 100% after getting banged up. Nobody else really did anything. The zone defense was effective even though it did cost us rebounding.

It's tough to continue to be patient but Whitehead and Lively just need more time to make up for all they lost in the preseason. Unfortunately it may not be until the Christmas break that they are fully up to speed.

Firstly, Purdue is good. They’re better than 4th to 6th best in the B10 that people initially thought.

Really, really concerned with two very, very horrendous offensive performances this long weekend. We do not have outside shooting consistency of any kind yet, and we lack real shotmakers. Whitehead might be one, but he’s a ways off right now from that. Flip could be one too, but he’s still catching up to the speed of the college game, and I’d wish he’d stop flopping around the floor.

The next poll will be indicative of where we truly are. Probably between 12 and 15 right now.

I love our effort on defense, and we should have gone zone earlier. But I’m really concerned about our offense going forward.

Just hoping Jeremy's foot is OK. I'll take the L.

-jk

Two things. Glad Roach is ok . A statistic that does not lie,one point in the last 8 minutes. We need to score points.Purdue is a good team, but they made Duke look bad today. Zone defense helped,but this was a poor performance by Duke. Time to give Lively and Whitehead the green light to play.

2 for 19 from three and outrebounded 41-28. That’s the statistical story of the game. Purdue was the better team today but I was very impressed with our heart as we tried to come back in the second half. That’s my takeaway from this game. We do need to shoot better. Guys have to learn what a good shot is for each one of them and what a good shot is in the context of the game. Some of our misses were good shots and others were not. Credit Purdue’s defense somewhat but that’s part of what we need to learn during the next few weeks.

College hoops is a three point contest and this team can’t shoot

Call me crazy but I thought we played okay. Offense created a number of decent looks but couldn't make a 3. Purdue was uniquely situated to take away our greatest offensive strength - offensive rebounding.

Defensively, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with Edey. Especially with the way the game was officiated. Purdue played a nearly perfect offensive game, save for that lull midway through the second half. I don't think anybody dy in CBB was beating Purdue today.

This team is a work in progress. I saw some progress this weekend. On to the next one.

I was not able to watch but followed on Gamecast. Was this just an issue of the team not shooting well from behind the arc? It seems Proctor and Roach played well. Would have liked to see more assists but when you only go 2-17 that probably contributes to low assist numbers. Also, Purdue only being 24 is a joke, so losing to a good team is not a cause for alarm.

The issue for the team seems to be an offensive identity. I'd like to see them get Mitchell and Whitehead more involved. As for Lively, I just don't think he'll be an impact player. Which is not to say he can't contribute, of course.

I haven't watched every team play this year, but Purdue looked like the best team in the country the way they played today. They are going to be a tough out in March. I'm not sure what else you say other than Purdue is vastly better at this point in the season. Good news for Duke is...it's still November and not March. I would think Duke will improve at a much greater rate than a team like Purdue will as the season marches on.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The switch to zone by Coach Scheyer and staff really got Duke back into the game. I think Duke cut the lead to 6 at one point in the 2nd half and it was still very much anyone’s game. I was glad to see Roach return from injury and I hope he is ok going forward. Roach, Proctor, and Flip had good games offensively but as a team Duke shot just 2-19 from 3. Duke was also out rebounded 42-32 and out assisted 17 to 8. Purdue is a good team and Edey is a lot to handle in the post. Hopefully, the young guys can learn from this and be better for it going forward. Tough game overall but a lot of season left and Duke still has a high ceiling.
    100% agreed, knew I forgot something in my post

I’m also encouraged by some of the coaching moves we’ve seen from Scheyer of late, including the shift to the 2-3. We forget, just like our players should get better as the season goes on, so should our coach.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Lively is fine- but he is not going to transform into a double double guy. He is too limited at O right now- no little jump hook- no footwork to get him baskets. Whitehead may start having big games but maybe it will take a couple months. Until then- this team will struggle against experienced team. Purdue crushed Gonzaga so they are clearly a good team. Edey is unique. This team might not have enough to be elite. Time will tell.

Three point shooting

For the three games, Duke shot 5/29 (17%), 5/11 (46%), and 2/19 (11%).

For the season Proctor is 5/32 (16%).

That should give the team something to work on during the break.

We got beat at the three-point line. We may be saying this quite a few times this year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We are now 299 in three point shooting according to Kenpom. We will lose quite a few more games if this trend continues.