Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just watched the replay of the Zags game. Edey is massive. Just wait until you see Flip or Lively next to him. Just wow.

I don’t think Ryan can pretend to guard him. Maybe this is why we burned Christian’s redshirt? To help front Edey.

The rest of the team seems to play very disciplined on offense and defense. We need to remain patient and committed on D. On offense we should have plenty of mismatches.

Running the court hard with Lively, Flip and Reeves seems smart. Beat tge big guy down for easy buckets. He is not fast.

Maybe I’m wrong but I dont see thins being a good matchup for Ryan for the 30 min that Edey plays.

Like to see three freshmen step up Sunday. Play with confidence. Proctor, Whitehead and Lively. Proctor,Lively and Whitehead needs some productive minutes. The other 6 are reliable. Lively will need a solid game because Edey is good and massive. Hope the day off gives those 3 head time to visualize what is missing.

We are 1.5 pt favs over Purdue and No. 1 Cheats are 1.5 dogs to Bama according to Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Just watched the replay of the Zags game. Edey is massive. Just wait until you see Flip or Lively next to him. Just wow.

I don’t think Ryan can pretend to guard him. Maybe this is why we burned Christian’s redshirt? To help front Edey.

The rest of the team seems to play very disciplined on offense and defense. We need to remain patient and committed on D. On offense we should have plenty of mismatches.

Running the court hard with Lively, Flip and Reeves seems smart. Beat tge big guy down for easy buckets. He is not fast.

Maybe I’m wrong but I dont see thins being a good matchup for Ryan for the 30 min that Edey plays.
    If that's so, Coach Scheyer is clairvoyant. Most everyone thought we'd be playing the Zags. I'm going to get him to buy me a lottery ticket.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I hope you are right, but so far I have not seen anything that tells me Lively could handle Edney, or almost anyone.
    After I wrote my post above, I watched the 25-minute highlight video of Purdue v Zags.

3 things brought to light for me:

1. Edey is not that dynamic....his movement is Lurch-like plodding...they send him up for a high ball screen, but I saw no real pick-and-roll completion. The freshman guard generally used it to drive low by himself and take the high scooping layup shot from the right. The guard is very quick, but the Zag's defense did not impress me. I think any one of our guards can stay with their guard on such drives a lot tighter.

2. The go-to play to Edey is to low lob over the fronting defender to Edey's outstretched left hand while he holds the defender on his right hip. Presto... 2-handed dunk. While 6'9" Timme was helpless to disrupt, maybe a 7'1" Lively wingspan can make this routine a little more challenging. If Edey sets up down low, there is no point to be behind him because he turns and he is right at the rim. Fronting would seem the only option.

3. If neither of the above 2 routines gets the score, then Purdue goes into a motion movement in which a wing ends up floating out to the corner....and the Zags either chose not to follow or just lost sight of him. Purdue knew the point in the motion at which he was going to arrive and threw a long pass over to him. Presto...uncontested 3. Hopefully, Scheyer can watch the same video and figure out how to keep a defender pasted to him...I think Mitchell or Grandison would be the right for the assignment

My guess is Purdue got 75% of their points from these 3 plays. Maybe Matt Painter is smart enough to see what I saw and throw something else in for Duke...but otherwise, that is Purdue's basic offensive sets.

From what little I've seen of Livelys defense so far, it seems he gets his blocks coming off of his man and swatting the ball away at the rim or somewhere in the lane. I think he's more like freshmen, Mark Williams than sophomore, Mark Williams at this point. However, he should be able to front the Purdue Giant and be successful. If our guards can pressure the Purdue guards and make the entry pass difficult that will help our defense immensely. I think Roach, Blakes, Proctor and Mitchell (SF) can do the job.

GoDuke!

Big game today! Duke is a 2 point favorite. This should be a great one!

Let’s Go Duke!

I read on some sight yesterday that Jacob Grandisson is going to be out with a shoulder injury. Anyone know if that is true or just rumor? Hope it’s a rumor.

Purdue’s freshman PG, Braden Smith, did a great job of running the team and making plays for everyone. Just looked him up - the #196 recruit in the country. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I read on some sight yesterday that Jacob Grandisson is going to be out with a shoulder injury. Anyone know if that is true or just rumor? Hope it’s a rumor.
    I have not heard that. Hoping he can play.

DBR Chat is open!

If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Black uniforms. Going to be tough to overcome!

Not a fan of this small lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Not a fan of this small lineup.
    Is it up to 4 fouls we’ve committed that haven’t been called (according to Bilas)?

I got to say, I really hate it when Phylis (Bilas, gotta love how my dictation translates) calls our games. He’s so bends over backwards not to be a homer. Filipowski makes a fantastic defensive play, shot block and keeps possession, and he talks about the guy who got stuffed on Purdue. At this point I’d almost prefer Corey Alexander, almost…

Glad to see Grandison was not hurt. Must have been a Tar Heel started that rumor. Tight game thus far. C’mon Devils, let’s win this thing!!

Make free throws dammit. Whitehead great play. Lot of fouls on Duke. Purdue makes their free throws. Duke makes very poor decisions on shot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Is it up to 4 fouls we’ve committed that haven’t been called (according to Bilas)?
    Make that 5.

Had to go to mute.

Can’t let opponent decide how the game is played and Scheyer is letting. painter play the game