Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Walton Belt (2022-2023 edition)

The Walton Belt is now in Tennessee, after the Vols downed Kansas.

Tennessee next hosts McNeese, Alcorn and Eastern KY. The next real chances for the belt to move are MD @ Tenn on 12/11 and Tenn @ AZ on 12/17.

Let the hunt begin….

Maybe a silver lining to not beating Kansas is that the Walton Belt did not make its way to the ACC, because that would have opened up the chance that the Tarheels got there hands on it at which point they would have promptly raised a banner.

The Walton Belt backstory for newcomers: the late, great Al Featherston started the original Walton Belt thread.

I was watching the Cal-Stanford game last night (great win for Johnny D's kids) and Bill Walton was doing the game.

He said that Cal was No. 1 because they just beat No. 1 (Arizona) and that's the way "algebra" works -- to be No. 1 you have to beat No. 1 (don't get me started on his use of the word algebra).

Even if you concede his system, there was a flaw in his reasoning -- Arizona never beat No. 1 ... they were voted No. 1 by the pollsters.

So who should be No. 1 in the Walton Universe?

That depends on who starts as No. 1.

If you start with preseason No. 1 Kentucky, it goes from Kentucky to Michigan State to UNC to Texas to Michigan State again to Michigan and most recently to Indiana, which hasn't lost since beating Michigan.

But you could start with the defending national champ -- Louisville. In that case, it goes from Louisville to UNC to UAB to LSU to Rhode Island to St. Louis, which is still No. 1.

Which do you think has the better case? Indiana? Or St. Louis?
    -jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The Walton Belt backstory for newcomers: the late, great Al Featherston started the original Walton Belt thread.

-jk
    The Walton Belt is made of hemp.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    The Walton Belt is made of hemp.
    Hence all the unintentional mooning.

-jk
    Do you think Bill even remembers this, or was it just a stoner passing thought?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you think Bill even remembers this, or was it just a stoner passing thought?
    Absolutely he has no recollection. Pretty sure DBR is the only place keeping his stoned ranting alive.

This is one of the reasons we love DBR!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Pretty sure DBR is the only place keeping his stoned ranting alive.

This is one of the reasons we love DBR!
    Agreed. This is a great thread every season. Thanks to Neals for starting us off!

Arizona beat Tennessee, thus bringing the Belt to "The Conference of Champions."
    After Arizona faces Montana St (12/20) and Morgan St (12/22), Bobby Hurley and ASU hope to celebrate the crown dropping on New Years Eve

Walton's Conference of Champions has become the Conference of Soybeans...fun trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois...

As Duke continues its progress, I can't help eyeing the jewel of the sportsball world.
    After trips to Arizona, WSU, Utah, Oregon, Arizona, and Stanford, The Belt is currently held by UCLA.

Bobby Hurley's Arizona State plays UCLA (@UCLA) on Thursday, 3/2, at 9PM on ESPN. Let's go, Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    As Duke continues its progress, I can't help eyeing the jewel of the sportsball world.
    After trips to Arizona, WSU, Utah, Oregon, Arizona, and Stanford, The Belt is currently held by UCLA.

Bobby Hurley's Arizona State plays UCLA (@UCLA) on Thursday, 3/2, at 9PM on ESPN. Let's go, Devils!
    Thanks for the update, I would love to see Bobby as The People’s Champion for awhile.

SNL segment

Hilarious Weekend Update segment with James Austin Johnson doing Walton. Can't even describe it, it's out there and hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRgdj6SfZZY

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post

Alas, Bobby couldn't take The Belt as the Bruins carried it back home to Los Angeles. UCLA honored The Belt, in all it's Glory, for a few more weeks until surrendering it to Arizona in the Pac-xx tourney.

In stunning fashion, Princeton wrested The Belt from Arizona and danced a bit before passing it to Creighton, if briefly.

The Aztecs then carried The Belt to Houston, where UConn reunified it with the NCAA, um, Tablet(?).

Until next season!

-jk

Alas, Bobby couldn't take The Belt as the Bruins carried it back home to Los Angeles. UCLA honored The Belt, in all it's Glory, for a few more weeks until surrendering it to Arizona in the Pac-xx tourney.

In stunning fashion, Princeton wrested The Belt from Arizona and danced a bit before passing it to Creighton, if briefly.

The Aztecs then carried The Belt to Houston, where UConn reunified it with the NCAA, um, Tablet(?).

Until next season!

-jk
    Anybody know how many times the Walton belt and the Championship ended up in the same hands?

Until next season!

-jk
    With five of the last 12 men's NCAA titles (and four of the last 10 women's), will Walton start referring to the Big East as "the conference of champions?"

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Anybody know how many times the Walton belt and the Championship ended up in the same hands?
    Has it ever not? A team that wins their last game but also doesn’t make the ncaa tourney? On probation or in the new-to-D1 purgatory period. Maybe some conference that doesn’t invite everyone.

I suppose it could wind up in D2 during exhibition season. That would be interesting.

-jk

Has it ever not? A team that wins their last game but also doesn’t make the ncaa tourney? On probation or in the new-to-D1 purgatory period. Maybe some conference that doesn’t invite everyone.

I suppose it could wind up in D2 during exhibition season. That would be interesting.

-jk
    I looked at this a few years ago (will see if I can dig up the posts). I think every year since at least the expansion to 64 teams it’s ended with the tourney winner. But there were definitely some years in the 50s and 60s where the Walton Belt didn’t end up with the season champion.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I looked at this a few years ago (will see if I can dig up the posts). I think every year since at least the expansion to 64 teams it’s ended with the tourney winner. But there were definitely some years in the 50s and 60s where the Walton Belt didn’t end up with the season champion.
    Found it! It starts with this post in the 2019 thread. The answer is that we’ve had a single unified belt since 1981 - every season since then has had the belt end with the national champion.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke