Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Kyle is averaging 16/11 compared to Laettner at 9/5 and Ferry at 6/4 as freshmen. I’m sure that Lively and Whitehead are going to step up, so I hope that from now on we won’t be waiting until the final minute to break 50 points.
    Just wanted to point out that Kyle has scored above his season average in every game he's played so far, while scoring as much or more points from each game to the next. While his FG% isn't amazing, it's not bad at 42%, with an eFG% of just under 50%. Plus he's been money from the FT line. By usage he is by far Duke's best offensive player, even if Young has been more efficient.
    As soon as Kyle learns to be a little more judicious in shot selection, he'll be in the convo for ACC POY, he's already clearly the leader for FOY.

About the only negative thing I see in Kyle's play is his shots at the basket are sort of weak. I'd like to see him be powerful with that type of shot. I hate to even post that because he's been the most consistent player for us so far.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I wasn't. Mitchell is best as a slasher and when he can use his size to bully his way to the rim. We've seen how inconsistent his shot is. A 2-3 Zone, combined with us clogging the lane a bit ourselves with our two big lineup, seems designed for Mitchell to have an off night.
    Mitchell isn’t quite as good of an athlete as I thought. Flip is more of an athlete than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    As soon as Kyle learns to be a little more judicious in shot selection, he'll be in the convo for ACC POY, he's already clearly the leader for FOY.
    KenPom currently ranks him as the 4th best player in the country. No other ACC players are in the top ten.

I think our expectations are a little high at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    How do you explain OSU overcoming such external situations?

We played flat. Our offense was unorganized. Our defense was acceptable. We scored just enough to win.

I don't think it was because the game was in the afternoon.
    Our guys played a late game on Monday, then traveled across the entire country and three times zones, and played a game at noon that was essentially a home game for the other team. I don’t think we can overestimate the impact travel had on our young team. Hopefully, will be rested up and ready for Xavier in a few hours

I hope Flip can increase his shooting percentage a bit, but I think his play has been incredible for his first few games as a freshmen. I don't have stats in front of me, but I remember so many of our top 5 recruits taking a few months to really start producing. He's getting big time double-doubles from that start. We're so preoccupied with questioning when or if Whitehead and Lively will look like top 5 recruits, I think we have forgotten that Flip should only get better as the season goes. That's pretty exciting. Judging by his free-throws, he also appears to have the purest shot on the team. I hope he balls out on NIL deals and would like to be at Duke long-term. Perhaps burger joints where he can Flip some burgers in the commercials? I really accepted the fact over the last few years that any Duke player who could ever even have a chance of getting drafted would declare, but also some that had no business doing so. NIL seems to have given me delusional hope again that maybe we will get an extra year or two out of some big-time talent every once in a while. Seeing Tshiebwe, Bacot, and Caleb Love all come back gives me hope, but at the same time, I don't believe any of them would have returned to school if they played at Duke (at least in the Coach K era; we'll see how it goes moving forward).

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    I hope Flip can increase his shooting percentage a bit, but I think his play has been incredible for his first few games as a freshmen. I don't have stats in front of me, but I remember so many of our top 5 recruits taking a few months to really start producing. He's getting big time double-doubles from that start. We're so preoccupied with questioning when or if Whitehead and Lively will look like top 5 recruits, I think we have forgotten that Flip should only get better as the season goes. That's pretty exciting. Judging by his free-throws, he also appears to have the purest shot on the team. I hope he balls out on NIL deals and would like to be at Duke long-term. Perhaps burger joints where he can Flip some burgers in the commercials? I really accepted the fact over the last few years that any Duke player who could ever even have a chance of getting drafted would declare, but also some that had no business doing so. NIL seems to have given me delusional hope again that maybe we will get an extra year or two out of some big-time talent every once in a while. Seeing Tshiebwe, Bacot, and Caleb Love all come back gives me hope, but at the same time, I don't believe any of them would have returned to school if they played at Duke (at least in the Coach K era; we'll see how it goes moving forward).
    I share your desire to see more borderline draftable talent stay at Duke for 1+ more years than the OAD era has provided us. Per the bolded statement, the only thing holding Flip back from being a sure-fire lottery pick right now is his shooting percentage, so if he improves it, he won't be coming back. Nor should he if he maintains this (or a semblance of this) level of play. Even though his FG% has been somewhat variable so far, everything else has been consistently very good: rebounding, effort, grit, m'f'erness. Imagine what Lively would be producing if he played with as much ferocity as Jules has so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I share your desire to see more borderline draftable talent stay at Duke for 1+ more years than the OAD era has provided us. Per the bolded statement, the only thing holding Flip back from being a sure-fire lottery pick right now is his shooting percentage, so if he improves it, he won't be coming back. Nor should he if he maintains this (or a semblance of this) level of play. Even though his FG% has been somewhat variable so far, everything else has been consistently very good: rebounding, effort, grit, m'f'erness. Imagine what Lively would be producing if he played with as much ferocity as Jules has so far.
    I don't think the NBA cares about his shooting percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    I don't think the NBA cares about his shooting percentage.
    Jabari Smith and AJ Griffin would like to speak with you.

In general, if he shoots 42% for the year and 33% from 3, i bet you'd be right, that the NBA would jump all over him as a prospect and draft him in the lottery because of everything else he's showing.

Little late, sorry.

DBR Chat is open!

If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk