Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Words/Phrases that should be eliminated from sports

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Jay Bilas has been using the word "chops" a lot this year. As in, "[insert player or team] has/doesn't have the chops to compete at an elite level." He used it once last night, but in the pre-season special he said "chops" at least three or four times. The point isn't to pick on Jay. He's done a great job calling games and I've heard many others use this word. I don't know why, but I really don't like the the use of the word in relation to basketball. I like pork chops. I like lamb chops. Apparently, I don't like basketball chops.

I'm also not a big fan of the word "gamer." As in, "[insert player] is a real gamer." Again, no special reason--I just don't like it.

All of this got me thinking about what words, phrases, and cliches others would eliminate from sports. Suggestions?

If we get enough suggestions, maybe we could start a poll to find worst word/phrase/cliche in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Jay Bilas has been using the word "chops" a lot this year. As in, "[insert player or team] has/doesn't have the chops to compete at an elite level." He used it once last night, but in the pre-season special he said "chops" at least three or four times. The point isn't to pick on Jay. He's done a great job calling games and I've heard many others use this word. I don't know why, but I really don't like the the use of the word in relation to basketball. I like pork chops. I like lamb chops. Apparently, I don't like basketball chops.

I'm also not a big fan of the word "gamer." As in, "[insert player] is a real gamer." Again, no special reason--I just don't like it.

All of this got me thinking about what words, phrases, and cliches others would eliminate from sports. Suggestions?

If we get enough suggestions, maybe we could start a poll to find worst word/phrase/cliche in sports.
    I'm not a fan of the sudden infatuation with the term "bounce" in place of the term "dribble." The play-by-play and color commentators have really taken a liking to this term in the last year or so, and it really annoys me for some reason.

Off the top of my head:

* diaper dandy
    * shoot the rock
    * prime time player
    Bob Green

I don't like it when somebody "explodes".
    ~rthomas

"He needs to get untracked". WHAT? If he's having a tough time of it, he needs to get "On the track". Right?

For once, I'd love to see a player give 100%, rather than the usual 110%.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

sports terms

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not a fan of the sudden infatuation with the term "bounce" in place of the term "dribble." The play-by-play and color commentators have really taken a liking to this term in the last year or so, and it really annoys me for some reason.
    Shhh, don't tell the Crazies that. Where would they be without: bounce, bounce, bounce, ahhhhh, pass, ahhh, bounce, bounce, shot(or something like that )

sports terms

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Off the top of my head:

* diaper dandy
    * shoot the rock
    * prime time player
    I see you don't like Vitale, either

Ty Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Ty Lawson.
    How about "Psycho T"? That makes me throw up.
    ~rthomas

Penetration....seriously, think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shhh, don't tell the Crazies that. Where would they be without: bounce, bounce, bounce, ahhhhh, pass, ahhh, bounce, bounce, shot(or something like that )
    I don't like "bigs", "tin" or "elbow"

He's playing within himself.

He's letting the game come to him.

He's not trying to force anything.

game face

"shortening his bench"

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

stupid mistake

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    "He needs to get untracked". WHAT? If he's having a tough time of it, he needs to get "On the track". Right?

You're absolutely right. Anyone who says that once should be immediately reprimanded by his producer and made to apologize on the air. A second use should result in dismissal.

AND I'M SERIOUS ABOUT THIS.

Thumbs down

I've got to go with 110 percent.My son and I laugh every time we here it.

"This is Dick Vitale..."

Any discussion of classiness of coaches - such a poor word to describe decorum, geniality and/or social grace.

Bilas used the word "great" about almost everything during Maui. An entry pass on a 45 degree angle was "great," an uncontested jump shot was "great". He used "good" only twice the whole tourney, but that would have been a more apt description of the play.

Enough of the self deprecation - Rafftery and Bilas. Ugh... It gets old after the 20th reference of Rafftery's obsession with the sauce (not sure if this is self deprecating or bragging) or Bilas's lack of athleticism during his playing days.

All in all, I much prefer McDonough, Rafftery and Bilas to Patrick and Vital or anyone else really.

How 'bout a Hall of Fame/They Finally Did It list?

I was flabbergasted that, for the longest time, announcers would say "Coach brought him to the bench to get a blow", on national TV, without chuckling. I haven't heard it in a couple of years, now, so maybe it is finally gone.

I agree with the "untracked" posters, as well.

And could somebody slap the next person who says "trifecta"?