Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WBB: Duke 50 Connecticut 78

Creating a thread for this one as it's a big game for Kara, and I can maybe provide some insight in the opponent.

Uconn is coming in off a big win against NCSU, and a close win over flailing texas. To give a rundown on their team:

Starters:
    ~40 min/g
    G: Nika Muhl 5'10. Reigning Big East DPOY. She also just broke the Uconn single game record with 15 assists vs NCSU. She doesn't score much, but is involved everywhere
    G: Azzi Fudd 5'11. Not much to say about her. She spent much of last season finding her footing, but is currently averaging 30 points a game. She shoots every bit as well as paige beuckers does/did, but is not as great of a facilitator, with a slightly better driving game
    ~30 min/g
    F: Abrey Griffin 6'1. She missed all of last year with a back injury, and was likely one of the things last year's national runner up was missing. Physical, but also deceptively quick, and poised. I'd say more about her offense, but it's mostly "Azzi does stuff and other people benefit"
    F: Aliyah Edwards 6'3. Edwards is a bit of an enigma. She has always had talent, but has not always had poise on the floor. Her improved play near the end of the past two years were one of the the things that enabled them to make F4 runs through personnel adversity. But she is often weak on rebounds, slow getting up and down the court, and misses chippies she shouldn't. She's been put in a tough position again with Juhasz out, having to be the premier center, and does her best when playing inside her capabilities, and is averaging 15 and 10 so far this year.
    F: Lou Lopez-Senechal 6'1. A grad transfer from fairfield, averaging 15 a game. Their best shooter by % at 40. Another big hole they closed in last years team. About 60% of her shots are from 3. She's done well to get minutes out of the gate for Uconn and is a big matchup problem, but also to be seen how much Geno will trust her in the big situations

?
    G: Caroline Ducharme 6'2. She had some huge moments her freshman year, forced into the spotlight with all the injuries to the team (especially to PB), including a huge game winner against Depaul. She took a bit of a backseat when Paige came back, and is coming off a neck injury, so what she'll be this year is still a bit of a question.
    F: Ayanna Patterson 6'2. She has gotten naught but spot minutes here and there, and some mop up minutes in garbage time. Expect her to get in to give griffin or Edwards a rest, but not ready for prime time yet

People You Probably Won't See:
    Amari Deberry 6'5: Despite being the #15 overall recruit in the class of 2021, Geno clearly does not think she's earned her game time.
    Ice Brady 6'3: Out for the season with a knee injury
    Paige Beuckers 5'11: Out for the season with torn ACL
    Dorka Johasz 6'5: Out for a couple weeks with a broken thumb
    Ines Bettencourt 5'11: a juco transfer who hasn't gotten major run

I'm not sure how I would attack this for duke, but I think the game plan must be:
    - frustrate Fudd. I don't know what this is, maybe throwing bodies at her, but anything dluke can do so she gets out of her game and doesn't light it up for 30 again.
    - Get Edwards in foul trouble. Already at a height disadvantage and foul prone, Brown could take advantage. If she ends up on the bench early, brown could command more uconn attention from the rest of the team, at even more of a disadvantage
    - clog the lanes. this uconn team moves the ball very well. anything to prevent getting cut to death.

I'd strongly consider something ridiculous like a box and 1 with a "spy" on fudd if she drives. Make the rest of the team beat you, which doesn't shoot great overall. Work to get anyone you can in foul trouble. I don't think duke has a great shot here, but it wouldn't be the first time they've scored a huge upset, either.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm not sure how I would attack this for duke, but I think the game plan must be:
    - frustrate Fudd. I don't know what this is...
    I got this. We convince Fudd that it's Rabbit Season and not Duke Season.

rabbitseason.jpg

What the hell is someone named Azzi Fudd doing at Connecticut anyway? Fab Melo went to Syracuse, like Carmelo Anthony. Desmond Hubert went to UNC, like Hubert Davis. Why didn't Azzi Fudd go to Stanford, like Jennifer Azzi?

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ppen-more-more

geno warming up the excuse machine?
    1200. DDMF.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ppen-more-more

geno warming up the excuse machine?
    Just careful, I suspect.

-jk

Duke is gradually getting destroyed. Excellent announcers. Stephanie White we need you on men's broadcasts. Celeste Taylor needs to make a basket. Women have poor shooters unfortunately. They have to make shots or this will be a blowout.

Down by 12 at the half. Could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Just got worse

didn't come out of the half great. getting out of hand.
    1200. DDMF.

3 points in third quarter. Just really poor shooting and execution. Just terrible. Game is over.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    3 points in third quarter. Just really poor shooting and execution.
    Can’t win if you can’t shoot and the other team shoots 54%. Duke is not going to win this

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Can’t win if you can’t shoot and the other team shoots 54%. Duke is not going to win this
    quarter wasn't that bad overall after the initial couple minutes. Regardless of futility, would love to see them come out and fight in the fourth. The more experience playing against these teams, the better.
    1200. DDMF.

Tough

Duke got a couple of baskets at the end of the 3Q, but that only got their lead under 20.

Day-Wilson and Balogun each had four field goals at the end of the quarter, but everyone else had 0, 1, and 2.

The highlight

The only thing I liked about the game was when they showed the split screen of UNC losing to Iowa State.

Celeste had a poor shooting night but she did a good job guarding Fudd, limiting her to only 14 points.

Celeste had a poor shooting night but she did a good job guarding Fudd, limiting her to only 14 points.
    The whole team needs major shooting practice. Celeste gets really good shots. She has no accuracy. Coaches can make suggestions. It is a real problem for Duke. Defense can get you so far,eventually you need to convert on offense.

Duke will get the loser of oregon st and Iowa. Clark returned from injury and poured in 33 the other day, and oregon state is probably a tournament team today (last 4 in), so I would expect to play OSU.
    1200. DDMF.

UConn 42 Duke 26. Not the score, but rebounds.

In addition, they wiped us on the defensive glass.

I could actually see it in real time. Sure we couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, but it was the 50-50 and 60-40 free balls (rebounds, loose balls, etc.) that was driving me crazy. The Huskies went after every such ball 100% hard and quick. The Devils did not. That had consequences, though ESPN doesn't show second chance points and the GoDuke box score with that data isn't up. Most likely it shows in UConn's offensive percentage of 51%. I know that total shots weren't all that different, but the final 28 point difference was abysmal. Are we really only a 33% shooting team? Assists? We had 7 to their 17.

This game was Ycch!

Can’t disagree

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    The whole team needs major shooting practice. Celeste gets really good shots. She has no accuracy. Coaches can make suggestions. It is a real problem for Duke. Defense can get you so far,eventually you need to convert on offense.
    Since her days at Texas, Celeste has looked good on the court but the shots don’t drop. She is in her fourth season but she has yet to hit 40% from the field, which is strange considering her resume.

there's no consolation game on the women's side? ugh. so much for bill walton talking about how great the tournament is for women :|
    1200. DDMF.

there's no consolation game on the women's side? ugh. so much for bill walton talking about how great the tournament is for women :|
    We play Sunday at 7:00pm PST versus Oregon State, according to the PK website. Am I missing something? I don't feel that is consolation for anything, despite the NCAA calling it a "tournament". And while the timing is awfully late for an East Coast team to be playing on the West Coast, it's a game against a very good non-conference opponent on a semi-neutral floor. Bring it on!